Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy - Season Long Loan To Celtic Confirmed

scooter1

How soon is now?
The only reason I can think of is that no one is actually prepared to buy him.

Otherwise unless there is more to the deal, for example involving a certain Celtic striker I can’t see any reason it would benefit the club.

Perhaps nobody is prepared to pay what we're asking for him - seems to be a lot of teams sniffing around.
How long left on his current deal with us?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Might be a loan to buy.. eases the financial pressure on Celtic rather than having to pay £10m upfront?

Like the Knockeart deal possibly.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
At least if he ends up at Celtic I may actually watch their games when they're on the telly.

We've got quite a few ex-Albion lads playing up there now - Connor Goldson, Jamie Murphy, Leon Balogun (Rangers), Gary Dicker (Kilmarnock), Will Collar (Hamilton Accies), Craig Conway (St. Johnstone) and Jon Obika (St. Mirren) :lolol: Probably a couple more I've forgotten but worth watching a game if they're involved!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm beginning to believe Tony is a hoarder, he doesn't like selling his things and has a fetish for centre backs

Comes from his property portfolio background

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Celtic sounds sensible, depending on finances obviously but that way we're not strengthening a rival.
I get some ( and most importantly Potter) don't think he fits the way we play but he's still only 28 , player of the year a year ago and would get in most teams in the division

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Celtic have just signed a £5m striker from West Ham, if they are skint, let us buy the main man and they can have Shane on a structured deal that works for all parties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Celtic for me - don’t want to see him playing against us and doing well for another prem team, which he will. Also really want there to be some sort of makeweight in the Edouard deal... It’s a big ask but he’d be a great signing I think...

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
At least if he ends up at Celtic I may actually watch their games when they're on the telly.

We've got quite a few ex-Albion lads playing up there now - Connor Goldson, Jamie Murphy, Leon Balogun (Rangers), Gary Dicker (Kilmarnock), Will Collar (Hamilton Accies), Craig Conway (St. Johnstone) and Jon Obika (St. Mirren) :lolol: Probably a couple more I've forgotten but worth watching a game if they're involved!

Obika tearing it up at St Mirren.

Ah the quality of Scottish football.....

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Speaking of Celtic, they've just signed Albian Ajeti from West Ham. We were after him last year but West Ham got him. Might have dodged a bullet given they've taken a £3m hit on him less than 12 months after signing him.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Celtic would be the perfect solution for all involved but as already alluded to, can't see how they can afford to buy him unless they have agreed a sale for Edouard already but then they would need a lot of that budget for a replacement.

The other obvious option is a loan with a view to a permanent transfer. At the moment that would seem the most likely scenario? Would also give us a fall back option for next summer depending on how things work out with White/Dunk/Clarke etc over the coming season.

Ahem.

Makes sense.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shane deserves first team football, I am behind him wherever he chooses to go. An Albion Legend imo :bowdown:

scooter1

How soon is now?
Speaking of Celtic, they've just signed Albian Ajeti from West Ham. We were after him last year but West Ham got him. Might have dodged a bullet given they've taken a £3m hit on him less than 12 months after signing him.

I saw that and initially thought he looked a bargain until I saw his stats. 4 cup starts, and 9 PL off the bench - no goals.
Bullet dodged i reckon

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
From an Irish perspective I hope not Celtic. Would rather he was getting his practice in against EPL teams week in week out rather than SPL, and the occasional top European side. From an Albion perspective I'd rather not let him strengthen a rival.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

But we haven't dodged a bullet in a couple of our recent deals in the last 2 seasons :

It will more like a punch to the solar plexus (or open wallet surgery) rather than a hit that we'll end up taking on the Locadia and Ali J deals!

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
But we haven't dodged a bullet in a couple of our recent deals in the last 2 seasons :

It will more like a punch to the solar plexus (or open wallet surgery) rather than a hit that we'll end up taking on the Locadia and Ali J deals!

with those two we got hit by the bullet, dug it out, gave it back and then got hit by it again.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
WHAT a signing Duffy would be for Celtic.

Too good for SPL.

agreed. Can't see how they'd afford his wages let alone his fee. He must be on what, £30k-£40k a week here? I'd be surprised if anyone in SPL is on that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We seem to loan for one of three reasons (under which Duffy to Celtic falls into number 2)

1) To develop young U23s with a view to getting them nearer the first team (or profitable sale)
2) In case we need them back for a season in the Championship (otherwise known as the Knockaert / Elephant in the Room option)
3) Because we bought someone with no chance of getting a work permit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here