Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Dryrobe 'culture war': which side are you on?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
a) as most of the people featured in the photos are women & one of the Instagrammers is a man, this is sexist women-shaming (as usual)
b) you should get someone's consent before posting a pic of them (even if in a public space)
c) who cares what people wear anywhere
d) it's fair game - poseurs, DFLs etc.

All are correct.

What is was designed for is excellent. If I was a regular swimmer I'd want one. As a pending SUPer, I wouldn't mind having one waiting for me as I'd not expect to avoid a ducking. The freedom of getting dry and into clothes again offers so much variety.

There are plenty of coats for outside activities where you don't go underwater. I imagine walking anywhere in one in a strong wind would be a nightmare. Luckily someone has invented the snug streamlining softshell for that. Pissing with rain? Other coats are available.

Is it that much different from mods wearing bowling shoes? Not what they were meant for, but broadly meeting description.

I suppose they are brilliant at concealing sawn-offs and other useful accessories. I might have to get one.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
All are correct.

What is was designed for is excellent. If I was a regular swimmer I'd want one. As a pending SUPer, I wouldn't mind having one waiting for me as I'd not expect to avoid a ducking. The freedom of getting dry and into clothes again offers so much variety.

There are plenty of coats for outside activities where you don't go underwater. I imagine walking anywhere in one in a strong wind would be a nightmare. Luckily someone has invented the snug streamlining softshell for that. Pissing with rain? Other coats are available.

Is it that much different from mods wearing bowling shoes? Not what they were meant for, but broadly meeting description.

I suppose they are brilliant at concealing sawn-offs and other useful accessories. I might have to get one.

All of them or just Bry Nylon?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What's a Dryrobe?

Yes, thank you for asking, I didn't know either. (It's like the first time I encountered the word 'athleisure'). Anyway I googled it and it sounds like it's a sort of bathrobe that you can wear outside. Progress eh? What will they think of next?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
7DF835E0-B613-497F-BBF2-4659708361A9.jpeg

:lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On another tack…we go for a walk on the prom from millionaire row to the Palace Pier and back most weekends and amazed by the amount of people, mostly women, who go swimming in the sea even in freezing conditions.

By king Alfred the brighton and hove sea swimming club all pile in and although everyone thinks they are bonkers, we are all secretly in awe of them.

Zoe Lyon’s did a brilliant set on them all being menopausal women who were going in to cool down and causing the sea temperatures to rise , not climate change. It was a very funny sketch.

Anyway, one thing we have noticed is the amount of men who take photographs of people, mostly women getting before and after swimming. Now I am not saying they are perverts getting their kicks, but a few weeks ago by the flats just before the lawns, two ladies were getting changed and unabashed stripped off whilst putting their dryrobes on and this guy had his powerful camera snapping away at them. Mrs DTG challenged him ( very aggressively) and he muttered something and sloped off..no doubt to find some other ladies to photograph! What is it with these people!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Dryrobe can join a long list of sport specific apparel that becomes a fashion item for those with no interest in the sporting activities they were made for.

For an historic comparison the Hove dryrobe is the modern equivalent of the Scouse shell suit.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
On another tack…we go for a walk on the prom from millionaire row to the Palace Pier and back most weekends and amazed by the amount of people, mostly women, who go swimming in the sea even in freezing conditions.

By king Alfred the brighton and hove sea swimming club all pile in and although everyone thinks they are bonkers, we are all secretly in awe of them.

Zoe Lyon’s did a brilliant set on them all being menopausal women who were going in to cool down and causing the sea temperatures to rise , not climate change. It was a very funny sketch.

Anyway, one thing we have noticed is the amount of men who take photographs of people, mostly women getting before and after swimming. Now I am not saying they are perverts getting their kicks, but a few weeks ago by the flats just before the lawns, two ladies were getting changed and unabashed stripped off whilst putting their dryrobes on and this guy had his powerful camera snapping away at them. Mrs DTG challenged him ( very aggressively) and he muttered something and sloped off..no doubt to find some other ladies to photograph! What is it with these people!

We walked along to Ocean Sports on Saturday, and noticed the big groups of swimmers (or "floaters", as they weren't actually swimming) at Hove and commented on how cold it must've been in there....crazy fools. Didn't see any photographers, although there were LOADS of dry-robes...mostly on dog walkers weirdly.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
As with all things that are trendy, the group that started using the 'thing' before it became fashionable will want to claim it as their own and be offended that others are using it.

I had never wanted a dryrobe (until yesterday), but I don't hold anything against those that do. Yesterday, I was stood in the freezing rain and hail, watching my son play rugby when I saw a couple of parents in dryrobes; they looked by far the warmest people there (apart from the kids that were running around). I found myself thinking 'that is a good idea...'.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As with all things that are trendy, the group that started using the 'thing' before it became fashionable will want to claim it as their own and be offended that others are using it.

I had never wanted a dryrobe (until yesterday), but I don't hold anything against those that do. Yesterday, I was stood in the freezing rain and hail, watching my son play rugby when I saw a couple of parents in dryrobes; they looked by far the warmest people there (apart from the kids that were running around). I found myself thinking 'that is a good idea...'.

Had one for ages. I don’t swim, but got it for wearing at the end of long running races (for getting warm and getting changed out of wet/muddy gear), particularly in winter. Extremely useful bit of kit. Have never worn it shopping, walking or to the football though (although I can see the logic of wearing it to kids football after about 15 years of freezing my nuts off watching it).

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
This may be the first thread that I have ever taken the time to let you all know that I don't care about the subject in question. Feels good.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Lame attempt by journo to whip up a class frenzy about something that frankly no-one gives a toss about….

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I use a northcore beach basha which is the same thing but half the price. I'll only use it to get changed on the beach & keep warm after surfing - which is the intended use.

They do keep you dry & warm so I can see why they have crossed over to dog walking & coffee drinking.

Not for me personally. Dry robe wankers

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Mum made us towelling tops with elasticated necks back in the 70s if she had the foresight we could have been millionaires. Not bothered :shrug:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The Dryrobe can join a long list of sport specific apparel that becomes a fashion item for those with no interest in the sporting activities they were made for.

For an historic comparison the Hove dryrobe is the modern equivalent of the Scouse shell suit.

This. Where I live and walk the dog, is a very popular kite surfing,, wind surfing and swimming spot. I see a fair amount of dry robes being worn but then again, anyone who goes into the English Channel in Dec /Jsn/Feb etc.. is going to be more interested in getting warm and dry than any 'fasion statement' and apparently they are really really good for drying you off and keeping you warm after being in the sea.

I don't go to Waitrose so I have no idea if Chantelle does sqats in them after dropping off her brats at school in her oversized range rover, but then again, nor do I care :shrug:

I don't own one and don't plan on getting one. But hardly the worse thing to wear.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Mum made us towelling tops with elasticated necks back in the 70s if she had the foresight we could have been millionaires. Not bothered :shrug:

Wish my mum had the brains that yours obviously did. Mine KNITTED me a pair of swimming trunks when I was a toddler - and as we all know, wool does not go well with water. I'll leave you all to work out the rest.
Needless to say, my mum was nowhere near marketing them or making £££££s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here