Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Dryrobe 'culture war': which side are you on?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Some of you may have seen this article in yesterday's Grauniad https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...thing-you-can-wear?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

A lot of the article featured quotes from Brighton people who have Instagram accounts featuring pics of people wearing Dryrobes not near the beach and basically taking the mickey.

It's been pointed out to me that:
a) as most of the people featured in the photos are women & one of the Instagrammers is a man, this is sexist women-shaming (as usual)
b) you should get someone's consent before posting a pic of them (even if in a public space)
c) who cares what people wear anywhere
d) it's fair game - poseurs, DFLs etc.

I'm interested to know what people on here think.
For the sake of clarity I neither own a Dryrobe and am not one of the Instagrammers.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
what looked like a green dinosaur looming towards him
Jeez. Media shite stiring b0llocks.

So, someone wears a big coat to the supermarket. Who cares? My neighbour a couple of doors down, into wind surfing big time, wore one walking his dogs along the beach the other day. I didn't think "oooh there's a green dinosaur".

el punal

Can you imagine the Albion selling Dryrobes in team colours in the club shop? I would imagine that any size above XL would be approaching marquee or circus tent proportions. Having seen some of our svelte fans maybe something a bit more “accommodating” would be in order. :ohmy:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a) as most of the people featured in the photos are women & one of the Instagrammers is a man, this is sexist women-shaming (as usual)

eh? women lead fashion, since when is this a problem? peculiar thing for anyone to make "sides" on, practical clothing got a bit of fashion buzz, well done.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Jeez. Media shite stiring b0llocks.

So, someone wears a big coat to the supermarket. Who cares? My neighbour a couple of doors down, into wind surfing big time, wore one walking his dogs along the beach the other day. I didn't think "oooh there's a green dinosaur".
I did wonder if the journalist was a mate of the Instagrammers. However, I've spoken to several female sea-swimmers and surfers of all genders who hold strong anti-Dryrobe views. So there appears a grain of truth in the article.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can you imagine the Albion selling Dryrobes in team colours in the club shop?

Yes, yes I can.

They'll latch onto the trend in about five years, when the fad is well and truly over.

And you'll only be able to get them in XS and XXXL.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Yes, yes I can.

They'll latch onto the trend in about five years, when the fad is well and truly over.

And you'll only be able to get them in XS and XXXL.

This... which effectively means that after all the fashionistas have left town it's only the core market (cockwombles) who are left thinking they're as cool as the other side of the pillow...

I can't believe I've replied to this thread. Please accept my humble apologies punish:

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
**** me the media are divisive.

Are we being asked to take sides over if people wear a towel/jacket thing? (I didn't know what a Dryrobe was until now).

Wear what you want people, I don't give a shit.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some of you may have seen this article in yesterday's Grauniad https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...thing-you-can-wear?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

A lot of the article featured quotes from Brighton people who have Instagram accounts featuring pics of people wearing Dryrobes not near the beach and basically taking the mickey.

It's been pointed out to me that:
b) you should get someone's consent before posting a pic of them (even if in a public space)
c) who cares what people wear anywhere
d) it's fair game - poseurs, DFLs etc.

I'm interested to know what people on here think.
For the sake of clarity I neither own a Dryrobe and am not one of the Instagrammers.

It's a c) from me :shrug:

I couldn't care what anyone else wears (not even what I wear myself, often) and I don't really get why other people should either. It's nothing to do with them, nor does it affect them in any way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
**** me the media are divisive.

Are we being asked to take sides over if people wear a towel/jacket thing? (I didn't know what a Dryrobe was until now).

Wear what you want people, I don't give a shit.

reading between the lines, think its a marketing campaign, with the Guardian roped in to fill weekend column inches. nothing in the article explains what or why its divisive, other than some light hearted "anti-dryrobe" sign on a beach in Ireland over a year ago.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why did I even open this thread? Because I had no idea what a Dryrobe was. Now I know I can’t begin to think why I’d feel strongly one way or another about people wearing them. :shrug:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Divide and conquer

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Dryrobes are the new crocs. If you cared enough to have a view either way, then dryrobes are your thing.

My view is they are perfect if you are an all year round swimmer, otherwise a bit sweaty and weird.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here