Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Dryrobe 'culture war': which side are you on?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Joel Veltman can be spotted strolling around Hove seafront in one if you're lucky !

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Wish my mum had the brains that yours obviously did. Mine KNITTED me a pair of swimming trunks when I was a toddler - and as we all know, wool does not go well with water. I'll leave you all to work out the rest.

I daresay you felt a little sheepish.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Mum made us towelling tops with elasticated necks back in the 70s if she had the foresight we could have been millionaires. Not bothered :shrug:

And this is how the Dry robe came about, it’s mentioned in the op’s link that the founder of the brand had a towelling top made by his mum when he was young.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Personally I think anyone who pays £180 for what is a towelling robe needs their brain testing as they are being taken for a fool .

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We walked along to Ocean Sports on Saturday, and noticed the big groups of swimmers (or "floaters", as they weren't actually swimming) at Hove and commented on how cold it must've been in there....crazy fools. Didn't see any photographers, although there were LOADS of dry-robes...mostly on dog walkers weirdly.

Oooh errr, "floaters" in the sea had a very different meaning when I last swam there as a school kid in the 70's
#tobeavoided.

Will these dryrobes keep you dry, as in, could they be worn as a rain-coat?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Oooh errr, "floaters" in the sea had a very different meaning when I last swam there as a school kid in the 70's
#tobeavoided.

Will these dryrobes keep you dry, as in, could they be worn as a rain-coat?

Yes. They are a waterproof outer layer with a thick towling inner layer so keep you dry and warm. Apparently.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
To be clear, I thought they were ridiculous and just for posers. But having worn one, I turned around completely. They're warm, comfortable and cosy. Whether you've just climbed out of the sea or not, they're wonderful and I don't begrudge anyone feeling that comfort. Life's too short to be uncomfortable.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Take a look around and you will see that the majority of the British public don't have a clue how to dress themselves anymore and clearly don't care what they look like; the Dryrobe not being worn for its intended purpose is just another manifestation of this...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm TEAM DRYROBE Wanker all the way.

For those of us that swim in the sea / cold water, it's ideal to keep the body temperature up after you step out enabling you to tuck into a celebrationary Ice cream much sooner afterwards and enables you to change into your pants without showing your bollox and arse off to the world. Yes, they may well now be used by Londoners who think the sea is still used by pirates but it's design and usefulness is excellent rather than a fashion statement.

#TeamDryrobeWanker

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
Down here in rural Somerset (far away from the sea) they seem to be worn solely by Londoners visiting farm shops. Paired with expensive walking boots and designer head gear or elaborate scarf, it's the uniform of a 'type' .

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Mum made us towelling tops with elasticated necks back in the 70s if she had the foresight we could have been millionaires. Not bothered :shrug:

Blimey , that's suddenly reawakened a memory which had completely faded. My mum made one for each of us too.

It was like a homemade poncho made with towelling material with an elasticated neck.

Really practical as it meant that both hands were free while you were changing, while other people on the beach were struggling to preserve their modesty by simultaneously trying to hold their towel in place while pulling up their underwear or swimming costume, with the occasional inevitable slippage.

Mine was light blue, my sister's pink. I wonder if our mums went to the same sewing class.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
I would say life's too short to give a flying fig about what someone does or doesn't wear.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Why would someone spend their time taking pictures of other people in a Dryrobe, what a sad little man.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I use a northcore beach basha which is the same thing but half the price. I'll only use it to get changed on the beach & keep warm after surfing - which is the intended use.

They do keep you dry & warm so I can see why they have crossed over to dog walking & coffee drinking.

Not for me personally. Dry robe wankers
Back in the mid-late 80s I bought a Drizabone waxed cotton drovers coat from an Aussie bloke who had a surfshop off Duke Street - specifically to get changed under pre/post surf. I was horrified when I got a job in Lewes and saw lots of horsey types with them on. Since then I perfected the skill of getting changed without a robe / coat and when I bought a poncho type robe a few years ago, only used it 3 times then sold it. While Dryrobes come from surfers, I don't see many local surfers actually using them. Its quicker and less hassle to peel off top half of wet wetsuit, get dressed, then do bottom half. As I did this morning after my surf at the Palarse Pier. A lot of the people you see in them at Fiveways / the Dials appear to be poseurs.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
How do you know if you have a friend who goes 'wild' swimming? Oh, you will know, they will tell you, it will be on Facebook, it will be on Twitter including interesting facts like the water temperature, air temperature and how exhilarating they find it. Ever time.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
How do you know if you have a friend who goes 'wild' swimming? Oh, you will know, they will tell you, it will be on Facebook, it will be on Twitter including interesting facts like the water temperature, air temperature and how exhilarating they find it. Ever time.

Presumably, you never mention being a football fan or your experiences or thoughts on matches.

My point is, why criticise people for talking about their hobbies?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here