Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog Lovers - How long did your Dog live for ?

My lovely bull terrier , George, died in December. He had stomach cancer and was only ten. It totally destroyed him, ate him up in the space of two weeks. The vet came round to our house to put him to sleep and he died cuddled up to me with his head on my lap. I cried for days and even now stupid things make me cry over him.
He was my best mate and I loved him to bits.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have always wanted a dog and am just in the process of buying our first home.

Some of the stories on here are making me think twice - you experience enough sad moments in life without voluntarily adding more!
Don't think about it. You know when they get them that it isn't forever, but when our oldest died we realised that we'd had ten and a half happy years with him, indeed we've agreed they were the best ten years of our lives as it co-incided with a lot of the children's growing up. The pain of the loss is part of the love, and is just simply the price you have to pay for the companionship, friendship and joy you get from them. And it's a price well worth paying.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Thanks for those kind words - I now have grandchildren, so maybe . . .maybe when the time is right I will follow your advice.

Not to labour a point at all, but you know that you will only become attached, enamoured, rewarded.... the list goes on!.... by taking in another loving furry friend. The pain of loss we know is incrddible, but one day we too have to go.
What might we exchange for a life filled with loving companionship, security, warm faithful friendship?
A dog will just give everything for you - don't be afraid because you will be so endeared to that companion in waiting.

edit add; what would YOU say to ATFC above, who is hesitant about getting a puppy..like you once started out meeting Hennessy? :)

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
My lovely bull terrier , George, died in December. He had stomach cancer and was only ten. It totally destroyed him, ate him up in the space of two weeks. The vet came round to our house to put him to sleep and he died cuddled up to me with his head on my lap. I cried for days and even now stupid things make me cry over him.
He was my best mate and I loved him to bits.

Condolences indeed.
But congratulations too, in having had such a precious friend that you care so much
about. You wouldn't swap that for a life without him, to avoid the pain of loss.

Nor I with either of my furry partners, not for a moment.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Condolences indeed.
But congratulations too, in having had such a precious friend that you care so much
about. You wouldn't swap that for a life without him, to avoid the pain of loss.

Nor I with either of my furry partners, not for a moment.
I still get tearful over the Newf who died just over a year ago. But I still have all the joy we shared and this is how I remember him Lewis.jpg

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
There is no happier sight than a dog with its head out of a car window at 40 mph...... and none sadder than a man leaving a vets with out his dog ........

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
The statements below were posted on my facebook page. I have translated for those of you who cannot read mandarin.

1)我這一生大概能活10到15年,和你分別是件無比痛苦的事。
My life likely to last ten to fifteen years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.

(2)在給我命令時請給我理解的時間,別對我發脾氣,雖然我一定會原諒你的,你的耐心和理解能讓我學得更快。
Give me time to understand what you want of me.

(3)請把我閹割,這樣我會更健康。
Please send me castrated, so that I will be more healthy.

(4)請好好對我,因為世界上最珍惜最需要你的愛心的是我,別生氣太久,也別把我關起來,因為,你有你的生活,你的朋友,你的工作和娛樂,而我,只有你。
Don't be angry for me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work,your entertainment and your firends. I have only you.

(5)經常和我說話吧,雖然我聽不懂你的語言,但我認得你的聲音,你是知道的,在你回家時我是多麼高興,因為我一直在豎著耳朵等待你的腳步聲。
Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words. I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.

(6)請注意你對待我的好,我永遠不會忘記它,如果它是殘酷的,可能會影響我永遠。
Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it and if it's cruel it may affect me forever.

(7)請別打我,記住,我有反抗的牙齒,但我不會咬你。
Remerber before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones of your hand,but that I choose not to bite you.

(8)在你覺得我懶,不再又跑又跳或者不聽話時,在罵我之前,請想想也許我出了什麼問題,也許我吃的東西不對,也許我病了,也許我已經老了。
Before you scold me for being uncooperative,please ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food,or I've been run in the sun too long or my heart is getting old and weak.

(9)當我老了,不再像小寶貝時那麼可愛時,請你仍然對我好,仍然照顧我,帶我看病,因為我們都會有老的一天。
Take care of me when I get old. You too,will grow old.

(10)當我已經很老的時候,當我的健康已經逝去,已無法正常的生活,請不要想方設法讓我繼續活下去,因為我已經不行了,我知道你也不想我離開,但請接受這個事實,並在最後的時刻與我在一起,求求你一定不要說"我不忍心看它死去"而走開,因為在我生命的最後一刻,如果能在你懷中離開這個世界,聽著你的聲音,我就什麼都不怕,你就是我的家,我愛你!
Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say I can't bear to watch it or let it happen in my absent. Everything is easily for me if you are there. Remember,I love you!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Harry has seen off 4 relationships in his time but he has been there 24/7, 365. He has given me more love and support than any Woman I have ever met for sure. He cannot stand not to be my side. Even wants to come into the toilet to be with me when I have a crap LOL ! He is in it for the long haul. Being single at the moment with no kids, Harry is my life and when he goes I will be a 1000 piece jigsaw almost impossible to put together. Not sure how I am going to cope with the inevitable. He is not well with a swollen pad which may be a cancerous tumour. On all sorts of drugs now. All I can do is hope and pray.
You can rest assured that when that day comes there will be a load of people who will know exactly how you feel. I know you get a bit of stick on here sometimes, some of it unjustified, but on that day you'll be amongst friends here.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You can rest assured that when that day comes there will be a load of people who will know exactly how you feel. I know you get a bit of stick on here sometimes, some of it unjustified, but on that day you'll be amongst friends here.

Thanks mate. I appreciate that.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This is what they need.

60201206.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have Been to the vets and Harry will have to be put down sometime over the next week.

I am devastated.

I have Been to the vets and Harry will have to be put down sometime over the next week.

I am devastated.

Shit news US. My thoughts are with you as I know that feeling.

I don't mean this badly but do it sooner rather than later, the long goodbye will kill you.

All the best.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Shit news US. My thoughts are with you as I know that feeling.

I don't mean this badly but do it sooner rather than later, the long goodbye will kill you.

All the best.

I know what you mean. I have drugs for a week but knowing what is coming is in a way making it worse. I have to face the euthanasia and somehow get through it. In shock tonight. The day is finally coming. I love my old buddy with all my heart.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Can anyone who has been through the " putting to sleep " tell me what happens and what happens so I can steel myself for it, for Harry.

I know what you mean. I have drugs for a week but knowing what is coming is in a way making it worse. I have to face the euthanasia and somehow get through it. In shock tonight. The day is finally coming. I love my old buddy with all my heart.

Just be with him at the end no matter what you feel like, Harry would have done it for you, he loves you.

Believe me, if you leave the room you will never forgive yourself, I did with one of mine years ago and still think what he must have been feeling/thinking as I left him there.

Last edited:

Can anyone who has been through the " putting to sleep " tell me what happens and what happens so I can steel myself for it, for Harry.

They will probably get you to try and give Harry a sedative orally first before you take him or they come to you. They will shave a patch of fur on his leg to expose a vein and then administer the injection. It doesn't take long and Harry will probably have his eyes open at the end, it's normal and may expel the contents of his bladder.

He will be devoid of pain at that point.

X

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here