Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog Lovers - How long did your Dog live for ?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I have a Cocker Spaniel who I brought back from Spain when I moved back, she is six this year and the thought of her passing away is on par with losing any human that is close to me. I feel all morbid now!

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I am a Golden Retreiver owner and he has given me so much love and affection it is untrue. He is not well and nearly 15 now. I know one day, maybe soon the inevitable will happen and it will be devastating. How long did your Dog live for and what breed ? No one can ever underestimate the love between a Man and His faithful Dog.

I also had a Lurcher that made it to 16.

I have a goldern retriever and she is 8 in May. Have actually thought of what is going to be like when she finally goes (which I hope is in a few years yet) and to be honest she has lasted longer than 2 wives loads of girlfriends and the odd one night stand, and she has given me more love and affection than the other lot of trollops

D_B

Mar 18, 2013
I had a white Boxer, he was a month away from turning 13 last October, but the last few months he started to have occasional fits, he'd be fine after, but one night he had so many, it was horrible. So we had to take him to the vets the following morning and he had to be put to sleep.

I got to take him for a walk on our park just a week before, (same place I first took him when he was 6 weeks old on his first outing) and for some reason it kind of gave me comfort that I was the last one to take him there, although in his old age/illness he feared anything that moved which was so far from his character, where I'd usually have to keep a mile away from anyway as he was very protective.

He was such a crazy thing, but his love was infectious. You could come home miserable and him wagging his whole body and jumping in excitement was a great feeling. Nearly 13 was a decent age for a white Boxer as they are unfortunatley prone to all kinds of illnesses, but it doesn't make it easier when they go.

I have since moved into a rented flat, where animals aren't allowed, but to be honest I think it will be a few years untill I get another anyway, as although it's a negative outlook, the loss and realisation it will happen again is still a little raw.

I think my Dog has enhanced my life so much. Just him being there 24/7 and when I get home so happy to see me. They are truely magnificent beasts. Loyal, noble and loving.

Yep, I had 2 heinz 57's. go out for 5 minutes and be welcomed back like you'd been gone for days.
Every morning out at 7 for an hour, whatever the weather, evenings out for longer in the summer.
All they ever asked was to be fed and walked.
They were mother and pup, the pup lived till 16, mother to 18.

Miss them terribly.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
This thread has made me very emotional...... my mog Adele (Delly) is 16, still acts like a kitten, but every so often you can just see her acting her age, getting tired and needing a nap. Me and my mrs can't have kids, so she's our baby...... I'm going to take some putting back together when she goes. She's sat right next to me now, taking a very keen interest in what I'm doing......it's moments like this that I want to last forever (not me on NSC, her getting involved in everything I do!!)

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
My jack Russell Jenny lived to 17 1/2 , sadly had to have her put down just before last Xmas .
Had her since 7 weeks old and my wife who is Buddhist honestly believes that me and the dog where married in a previous life !
Can honestly say it was the saddest day of my life when she went ,miss her every day and her ashes are sitting 5ft from me.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
My jack Russell Jenny lived to 17 1/2 , sadly had to have her put down just before last Xmas .
Had her since 7 weeks old and my wife who is Buddhist honestly believes that me and the dog where married in a previous life !
Can honestly say it was the saddest day of my life when she went ,miss her every day and her ashes are sitting 5ft from me.
our Jack Russell was 19 when she went(you see we are not just cat lovers) and like most peoples dogs she was to us almost human. her ashes are in a garden pot plant and have moved with us several times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry for the hyjackette but it's too good a photo not to share.
Here's the Stat mutts in full attack mode:-

WP_000055.jpg

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Till it was plump enough to eat.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
I had a Golden Lab/Collie cross. Beautiful dog, lived 15 years somehow. Heart problem in the end. She was there from the day I was born until I was 11 years old. My mum then had a Springer Spaniel ex Police dog, who lived to 12 years. That boy was proper intelligent.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
About a month a go we lost our beloved Golden Cocker Spaniel. He was only ten and a half (spaniels should live to about twelve) and one day we noticed his breathing wasn't quite right. We took him to the vets who said it was probably a chest infection and gave him antibiotics. It didn't clear up, so a few days later we took him back, they x-rayed him and said sadly he had lung cancer and what's more the lung cancer growths looked like secondaries. He was still walking around, wagging his tail and pulling on the lead to get out so they let us take him home to say goodbye. We arranged for them to come round the next day to do the deed at home as he HATED the vets; however it must have been a very aggressive cancer(s) as it was like he'd fallen of a cliff, he was ok at first, but his breathing got worse and worse through the night and eventually he died in my arms. It was utterly heartbreaking. My wife and I still anguish about whether he suffered and whether it would have been better to have had him put to sleep as soon as we had the diagnosis, but he looked so well less than 24 hours earlier!

It IS a real bereavement as any one who as ever lost a much-loved dog will confirm. We've still got his younger brother and a poodle, but the house is more than half-empty.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Again, another side track, sorry.
I just brushed hound 2 with the worlds most expensive dog brush The Furminator.
He's molting at the moment so is brushed almost daily but still this lot came out:-

WP_000071.jpg

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
My dads dog was put down yesterday, a greyhound and lived for 12yrs and 4months. Raced at Brighton dog track for a while (the dog, not my dad).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here