Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Knockaert's poor standing with Liege fans bother anyone?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I only ask this because I got involved in an exchange with a Belgian football expert (and he is) the other day, and he lifted the lid on real bitterness, bordering on hatred, towards Knockaert from many/most fans of his former club Standard Liege.

Now I have been following this game long enough to know how it works, and when the rose-tinted spectacles kick in. Like most Albion fans I have watched Knockaert in recent games and think he could be the Championship buy of the window if not season. He has been brilliant, and far too good for Belgian club football.

So I looked into it a little more, and the gist of it seems to be that they all got the hump after he arrived saying he was desperate to win titles with Standard, kissed the badge a few times, then left after five months. He got a dog's abuse on Twitter, and cracked a couple of times (almost understandably) saying how delighted he was to have joined a club with proper fans!

What do people think about this. Is it a case of 'all is forgiven' when he is our player and just their sour grapes, or would you have concerns for the future? I think I am in the box marked 'Get us up, and I don't give a monkey's' but if he does it again I wouldn't be happy....

Your point above is a little lightweight considering Belgium are ranked 2 or 3 in the World at the moment and Belgian clubs have produced brilliant players recently playing all over Europe with top clubs. Only Finances and TV money (the lack thereof ) makes Belgian clubs less attractive to play for.

Most players who come to England to play are not here to play in what all the TV Pundits claim to be ''the best league in the world'' - It isn't. It is only the Wealthiest.

As for Knockeart and the Standard Liege fans.. I actually care not one jot. He only did what all the other mercenary footballers who have come to England have done. He sold his talents to the ''highest bidder' and I find nothing wrong with that.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Just to confirm, I know you were being sarcastic. I don't think the OP is suggesting anyone cares what the Standard Liege fans think of him, but more how loyal he will be to us in the long run

When a man or a woman gets involved with a married woman or married man. They shouldn't be surprised that if further down the line, they get cheated on as well. Knocheart owes Brighton nothing as yet except t go out on the pitch and give 100% to earn his salary. He is doing that at the moment so for me he is earning his salary and that is all I ask of him

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Not worried at all, Leicester fans love him, my leicester supporting mate was absolutely delighted with us signing him and said the only reason he got binned off was thanks to the emergence of a certain Mahrez. Now if we get to the prem I wanna see Knocky get his chance to ruin teams at that level too, but I certainly won't mind if we get a Mahrez type character in either, like LCFC.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Personally I'm massively bothered by this. Oh for the pre-internet days when drivel such as this never made it into the 'public' domain. Only the ridiculous and childish World's Hardest Creature threads or the use of the unnecessary term 'to be honest' could possibly rile me more than this outrageous revelation concerning Knockaert, to be honest.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Abused and hated by Belgians? Must be like being mauled by a luke warm rice pudding :yawn:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Clearly didn't settle in Belgium and wanted out.

Doesn't mean he won't settle with us, he may even start enjoying football again.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Player kisses badge but isn't 100% honest shocker. The number of players who kiss the badge and really mean it is minuscule.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not a problem. Football fans being over-sensitive and demanding too much, as many on here sometimes do.

Maybe he was fairly happy in Belgium, but then saw a bigger opportunity. If he does ok (well more than ok at the moment!) for us, we miss out on promotion then a Premier League club comes in for him, then fair enough.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not worried at all, Leicester fans love him, my leicester supporting mate was absolutely delighted with us signing him and said the only reason he got binned off was thanks to the emergence of a certain Mahrez. Now if we get to the prem I wanna see Knocky get his chance to ruin teams at that level too, but I certainly won't mind if we get a Mahrez type character in either, like LCFC.

This. I recall Leicester fans saying we'd signed the best player in the Championship when we got him. So far I think they were probably right.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Player kisses badge but isn't 100% honest shocker. The number of players who kiss the badge and really mean it is minuscule.

Here's one who really meant it.

Zamora.jpg

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Yeah, I guess worrying about him for the long run is a bit like being in a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.

When a man or a woman gets involved with a married woman or married man. They shouldn't be surprised that if further down the line, they get cheated on as well. Knocheart owes Brighton nothing as yet except t go out on the pitch and give 100% to earn his salary. He is doing that at the moment so for me he is earning his salary and that is all I ask of him

Yes - I agree! Was just trying to get the OP's point across...

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Yes - I agree! Was just trying to get the OP's point across...

Unless you're his best friend, why on earth bother?

This thread must've entered the Top Ten Most Worthless Threads Of The Month charts with a bullet.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He wanted to move back to UK and they got a massive fee....... having signed him on a free. They'll be just fine. I'm sure he did love them and their badge more than others in the country whilst playing for them. Once he left they should care what he thought (unless he's some 10 year serving hero)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Unless you're his best friend, why on earth bother?

This thread must've entered the Top Ten Most Worthless Threads Of The Month charts with a bullet.

Most of us don't post on threads we consider as worthless.

All you're doing is revealing how one-dimensional you are in your football views. If you are not interested in how our new hero was viewed only weeks ago, that's fine, stay ignorant.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Most of us don't post on threads we consider as worthless.

All you're doing is revealing how one-dimensional you are in your football views. If you are not interested in how our new hero was viewed only weeks ago, that's fine, stay ignorant.

You started a thread ASKING for people's views and opinions on this, what I too have to say is a bizarre thing to be worrying about, and now you're throwing your toys out of the pram because you don't like the opinions you're getting back? So what, someone says it is the most worthless thread of all time...its just an opinion, doesn't mean everyone is ignorant who doesn't share your view or interest on this.

Yoda

English & European
He wanted to move back to UK and they got a massive fee....... having signed him on a free. They'll be just fine. I'm sure he did love them and their badge more than others in the country whilst playing for them. Once he left they should care what he thought (unless he's some 10 year serving hero)

This! It's not like he joined Anderlecht is it (their main rivals).

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You started a thread ASKING for people's views and opinions on this, what I too have to say is a bizarre thing to be worrying about, and now you're throwing your toys out of the pram because you don't like the opinions you're getting back? So what, someone says it is the most worthless thread of all time...its just an opinion.

Who said I was 'worried' about it, did you read the OP? Christ there are some precious types on here when it comes to the new hero. Tell you what, you're right. Let's pretend the bloke never existed before January and ceases to exist the day he leaves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here