Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Knockaert's poor standing with Liege fans bother anyone?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
He is one of a few players recently we have signed that's made an immediate impact, Ulloa, Kayal and now Knockaert imo he's joined a very exclusive club !

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Very interesting but not surprising response so far. Basically as anticipated a lot of fans who would go NUTS if a player did that to us would not even think about it the other way around. C'est le football.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It really does bother me I've got to be honest.

Each goal, each assist, each mesmerising run, I'm watching them with this deep sense of dread 'what about what the Standard Liege fans think about him'....it really is spoiling it for me.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015

Each goal, each assist, each mesmerising run, I'm watching them with this deep sense of dread 'what about what the Standard Liege fans think about him'....it really is spoiling it for me.

I think you're missing the point (or I am)... Sounds to me like the Liege fans are annoyed at him for kissing the badge - which I know doesn't mean much anymore, but still - then leaving the club in the first transfer window. Maybe that is what the OP is questioning?

Who knows. I couldn't care less if he ate the badge if it meant he got us promoted

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you're missing the point (or I am)... Sounds to me like the Liege fans are annoyed at him for kissing the badge - which I know doesn't mean much anymore, but still - then leaving the club in the first transfer window. Maybe that is what the OP is questioning?

Who knows. I couldn't care less if he ate the badge if it meant he got us promoted

This. Fecking love the bloke already.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I genuinely do feel sorry for all the real badge kissers though, they kiss the badge and mean it. You then get these charlatans kissing the badge and they think they're just kissing a bit of embroidery, not the very essence of existence itself. I do think that if Knockeart fails to kiss the badge after his next goal, he should be roundly boo'd. We need to stand up for true badge kissers!!!

#truebadgekissers

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015

Just to confirm, I know you were being sarcastic. I don't think the OP is suggesting anyone cares what the Standard Liege fans think of him, but more how loyal he will be to us in the long run

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Unless a player effectively goes on strike by saying they are not fit for selection when they want a move I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about the player.

We all know that every player has a price which when reached their current club will say deal and the player moves on.

When that happens better to look to see how and if that fee is invested into the team rather than having a go at the player.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just to confirm, I know you were being sarcastic. I don't think the OP is suggesting anyone cares what the Standard Liege fans think of him, but more how loyal he will be to us in the long run

Yeah, I guess worrying about him for the long run is a bit like being in a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sure I saw something when he signed saying he and his family didn't really settle in Belgium and as a result he jumped at the opportunity to bring them all back to England where they had been settled. His performances and social media comments etc would appear to bear out the latter part of that at least.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So I looked into it a little more, and the gist of it seems to be that they all got the hump after he arrived saying he was desperate to win titles with Standard, kissed the badge a few times, then left after five months. He got a dog's abuse on Twitter, and cracked a couple of times (almost understandably) saying how delighted he was to have joined a club with proper fans!
Was he getting abuse from their fans while he was there, because he wasn't good enough (eg, he gave up trying), or just because he's left? If it's the former, it would give me a little concern, if it's the latter, I really don't care. For example, if he plays well for us, we don't get promoted, then he goes for a big fee in the summer to a PL club and he says how delighted he is to join a big club, I won't have a problem. I'll be disappointed we've lost a good player, but he'll have done well while here and we'll have received a decent cheque for him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Very interesting but not surprising response so far. Basically as anticipated a lot of fans who would go NUTS if a player did that to us would not even think about it the other way around. C'est le football.

Can you answer my post re 'Twitter comments' pls - who did he tweet about? BHA fans to SLiege fans?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He strikes me as a player that is emotional, requires that fan adoration in order to fuel his fire. He probably told his partner he loved her on their very first date.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Yep, I've been really concerned about this, ever since we signed him it's been keeping me awake every night worrying.

(To be honest, I've been really worried that the world might end tomorrow too)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can you answer my post re 'Twitter comments' pls - who did he tweet about? BHA fans to SLiege fans?

Sorry, I didn't quite understand what you meant.

Basically after a barrage of abuse on Twitter from SL fans about being a mercenary/two-faced etc he had a couple of very minor pops back at the Standard fans, one of which was saying BHA fans were proper fans (which as you can imagine didn't go down too well!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here