Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone else feel carefree about this season?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No I bloody don't. I remain furious after that lack-lustre performance. Everything matters, otherwise what is the point.

Is mid-table mediocrity really what we strive for? I

No - but there's hope and expectation. I hope we finish top 6. I expect we'll finish mid table.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's amazing watching other people getting stressed. All around me tonight there were boneheads who were wrong on virtually every call. Me, I just went to watch a game of football, having the occasional sing in support of my team. I'm now home with me cocoa and slippers thinking that it might be mid table and oh, whatever, It's just 22 men kicking a bag of air around a green patch.

Why do you think they're wrong? Just asking?

Tonight was unacceptable in my eyes, practically everything was wrong. Even to achieve mid table mediocrity, we need to beat teams near the bottom, if you think Sheff Weds are anything more than potential relegation fodder, you're kidding yourself. This was a poor, poor performance.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Chatting with Bozza and a few others and we both agreed how there was a lot less stress about supporting the Albion this year compared to last. I really don't know if we'll get play-offs but I don't seem to care either and this is in stark contrast to last year where I think I took it all too seriously. I was almost sick before the March Palace game, I'd got myself so worried about it. Not having them in the league and not having a manager who seemed to hint that he'd be off at the first hint of more TV airtime has made me quite stoic about tonight, Ipswich, Newport and the rest of the season.

I really don't care what happens (assuming we don't go near relegation) and I think I've got my Albion mojo too. Am I in the minority here?

Totally agree, so many people getting stressed about missing out on 3 points, I think a lot of people only see the premiership and think we should be top of this league and all other teams are crap. The fact that FFP has changed the face of football has bypassed some. We do not have the money to spend big on players, and that is why Bridge is playing for Reading. Oscar is being asked to do a job on a smaller budget and I am enjoying seeing his work in progress, and I enjoy this league.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Chatting with Bozza and a few others and we both agreed how there was a lot less stress about supporting the Albion this year compared to last. I really don't know if we'll get play-offs but I don't seem to care either and this is in stark contrast to last year where I think I took it all too seriously. I was almost sick before the March Palace game, I'd got myself so worried about it. Not having them in the league and not having a manager who seemed to hint that he'd be off at the first hint of more TV airtime has made me quite stoic about tonight, Ipswich, Newport and the rest of the season.

I really don't care what happens (assuming we don't go near relegation) and I think I've got my Albion mojo too. Am I in the minority here?
I was party to this conversation and thought I agreed with you at the time. However, after the RAGE I found myself in watching that turd I realise that I do still care that we have got about half a division worse in a few short months. Why is Spanish Dave so poor? Why is Bruno playing in midfield instead of competing (and on current form, losing) the right to play right back? Why are we paying Kemy Adgestein to play at all? And why is KLL not doing what he's best at, and steering well clear of the centre of the pitch, letting others do that job and screaming for the ball to give us some width.

I'm still p!ssed off the following morning so I can't pretend I'm carefree, sadly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm used to the Albion roller coaster and can recall many years of win one, lose one, draw two seasons, whilst hoping that we might string a few results together at one point and have a sniff of a playoff chance when we get to mid March.

Last season I saw 28 games, travelling from Manchester is a ball ache, even with my mates, but it always seemed worth it. This season I've only managed two games to date, and it all seems a little flat. I keep hoping we will have a result that kickstarts the season for me, but it hasn't happened to date.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm used to the Albion roller coaster and can recall many years of win one, lose one, draw two seasons, whilst hoping that we might string a few results together at one point and have a sniff of a playoff chance when we get to mid March.

Last season I saw 28 games, travelling from Manchester is a ball ache, even with my mates, but it always seemed worth it. This season I've only managed two games to date, and it all seems a little flat. I keep hoping we will have a result that kickstarts the season for me, but it hasn't happened to date.

I'm with you EP on this one - for us who travel long distances to see home games, it's becoming a chore more than a joy this season. The matches on Sky are becoming more appealing! Getting harder to justify the ST outlay to Mrs Portlock!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Totally agree. I just want to go and watch a game of football now. Yes I get as frustrated and excited as anyone else, but to be honest, after 10 minutes of the game ending, it's gone and although it is good to come on here to gauge opinion I really don't care about it as I did.

I also feel the way about away games...I haven't been away this year. First time in 35 years of supporting the club I have no interest in going away!

So buzzer, I am in your camp mate.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I'm with you EP on this one - for us who travel long distances to see home games, it's becoming a chore more than a joy this season. The matches on Sky are becoming more appealing! Getting harder to justify the ST outlay to Mrs Portlock!

Very much with you on this. I never thought I'd say this having never seen the Albion play at the Goldstone (due to a family who hated football). I've now had a season ticket for the last four seasons (living in London and working there too, as well as a new family made it difficult in the past to attend games) but this is the first time in those four years I've started thinking about missing a few games. I don't think it's the passion that's been lost, more that if the players don't seem to be bothered by it, why should I? I've also questioned whether the outlay of £680 a year, plus £690 worth of petrol each season now makes sense when it looks like I can buy a ticket for each game on the day regardless and I can pick or choose which games.

I also don't think it's a knee jerk reaction either, this season seems to have ended before it's begun with the injuries, the manager debacle, the price increases, all have had an influence on how I perceive this year and next. I think I can sum up this seasons I far quite simply. This is the first season in the last 4 where i've had my had my head in my hands more than I've celebrated. Disappointing.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Expectation is certainly lower obviously with Oscar settling in but mainly due to such a large number of key players being on the treatment table. Even when these players are fit oscar needs to learn and adapt their games to get us going. Can't help but think this will come too late and just feels like it is not going to happen for us this season.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I don't know if I'm relaxed about it or have just accepted we are a team going nowhere this season. To be honest I prefer the excitement of being in the mix or even in a relegation scrap than our current meh. This is especially true when tryng to start the midwinter, north of England, Tuesday night mojo.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Think because we never actually signed anyone for a decent fee rather than loan/free transfer a fair few fans are seeing us as a poor mans football club which are charging the highest ticket prices in the division which in turn is now pushing fans away from coming. I know of four who sat near me who have all stopped and they weren't JCL's. Its when the JCL's stop coming that the club will have to rethink the pricing side or a half empty stadium beckons sooner than they think

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm with Buzzer on this one at the moment. Given the awful summer we had, the major injuries and the financial restrictions of FFP it's very difficult for Oscar to put out anything approaching our best side at the moment. We are in a transitional phase at the moment and having to make do and mend, and as such my expectations are suitably realigned and I'm ok with that. It won't stop me losing my rag with time-wasting ambition free opponents or inconsistent refs but I can take a more relaxed view of what we can expect to achieve this season.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Why do you think they're wrong? Just asking?

Tonight was unacceptable in my eyes, practically everything was wrong. Even to achieve mid table mediocrity, we need to beat teams near the bottom, if you think Sheff Weds are anything more than potential relegation fodder, you're kidding yourself. This was a poor, poor performance.

I was mainly making reference to things such as shouting at the ref, name calling etc, when he had clearly made the right decision against us. Or shouting at an Albion player who had done something without any other option available to him. That type of thing.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think people are more stressed as its more of the same from last 2 seasons.

Missing guilt edged chances to win a game. We were poor but still did plenty to put Sheff Wed away last night.

Lopez and Ulloa last night had glaring chances in the first 20 mins. ITs game over and cruise control if just 1 is taken and we go a goal up

D

Deleted member 18477

Yea pretty carefree about this season... mainly because of what happened end of last season... but thats football. Oscar needs time - as long as we dont get relegated.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I said from the off that it would be a season of consolidation - allow Oscar to learn the league, bed the new players in, lose our lengthy injury list etc. I'd bloody love us to do as well as we did last season but i'm not fickle enough to expect that.

Someone mentioned their Instagram where someone was bashing the players on KLL's account...i was embarrassed reading that, the supporter is a bell-end.

Let's just see how things go this season, watch the big boys spunk their money on achieving promotion (Forest, i'm looking at you) and see what happens. We don't have a God given right to piss this league, as some seem to be under this illusion.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I'm chilled.

Okay, last night's game wasn't up to much, but Oscar is a work in progress - as was his predecessor at the same point in his career. Let's enjoy a stress free season of football, and enjoy the fireworks next season.

After all these years, I still love the Albion.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yep. Carefree is close to how I'd describe my view on it currently. It all stems from a few key factors though.

Gus overachieved with the team in my opinion (something many will disagree with). We've only really lost Bridge and Hammond from the key starting line up last season so the teams are realtively comparable...however the way Gus had us playing was great. Oscar can't be expected to get us anywhere near the level Poyet did instantly.

It's carefree in that I'm not panicked. I don't EXPECT us to get the playoffs (I would love it if we did!) and I know we wont be relegated, so by default it's quite an odd season to spectate.

Of course, every game I wil go to, desperate for 3 points, desperate to try and get a playoff spot, I just don't seem quite so tense about it outside of match day.

I think the January window will be the first telling sign of Oscar's influence and whether he is allowed to choose which players he brings in. Only then can I begin to expect his 'style' of play to be a little more obvious.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
expectation has now gone, although we might make a late spurt when we get all our players fit, I hope we do
we or rather the club got rid of its best asset lets all hope we/they don't live to regret that
because if we continue in this vein then there will be empty seats at the Amex that have not been paid for in advance then the brown stuff will really hit the fan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here