Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone else feel carefree about this season?

Jimmy Grimble

Actual overall stats:

Apps: 59 (12)

Goals: 19

Just League stats:

Apps: 48 (11)

Goals: 13

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought we were told that it was the same budget. Whether that budget is realistic is another debate, including have we wasted money on Agustien, etc.

My point is that Gus got to choose who he wanted and if you look at the players who have come in over the previous two years and compare them with what Oscar has had to play with, it may be the same budget due to wages, but they are not his players. We bought CMS, Hoskins and Buckley two seasons ago and Ulloa last season, so each year Gus had the opportunity to bring in good quality players of his choice ( I am assuming here). Yes Andrews and Ward look like good acquisitions but they are not the big signings we have got used to. I just think we need to give Oscar quite a bit of time because he is not working with players he has chosen ( again I am assuming here about the new signings, but the bulk of the squad is not of his choosing).

Neither can we be sure, given the injuries and suspension to our three best players that we'd be doing any better under Gus. I suspect quite a few posters have started looking through Gus tinted spectacles as our form has slumped, which is really unfair imo.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Jimmy Grimble

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whatever else he did, I will always like Revell for that hat trick against Bournemouth at the theatre of trees. Great game and a last minute winner which is always enjoyable.

I remember someone on here once describing him as one of those guys who works in a gym and works out on the equipment too much which I thought was quite amusing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My point is that Gus got to choose who he wanted and if you look at the players who have come in over the previous two years and compare them with what Oscar has had to play with, it may be the same budget due to wages, but they are not his players. We bought CMS, Hoskins and Buckley two seasons ago and Ulloa last season, so each year Gus had the opportunity to bring in good quality players of his choice ( I am assuming here). Yes Andrews and Ward look like good acquisitions but they are not the big signings we have got used to. I just think we need to give Oscar quite a bit of time because he is not working with players he has chosen ( again I am assuming here about the new signings, but the bulk of the squad is not of his choosing).

Neither can we be sure, given the injuries and suspension to our three best players that we'd be doing any better under Gus. I suspect quite a few posters have started looking through Gus tinted spectacles as our form has slumped, which is really unfair imo.
Gus also had players brought in that he didn't want. John Stephenson didn't last long as a director of football, for example.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I don't think Agustien played that badly, he showed some good things, but was often not passed to when he had the space, or passed to when he was isolated and without any help around him.

Also what we have saved in the last transfer window will be added to the January one.

I like Agustien and really don't understand the hate. He was the one player yesterday who always wanted to make something happen, he's got a great bit of character about him and I love how aggressive he is with the ball. Sure he's not consistent, but he's not fit and he plays for us in the Championship, not Manchester United etc.. The expectations of some fans is incredible.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like Agustien and really don't understand the hate. He was the one player yesterday who always wanted to make something happen, he's got a great bit of character about him and I love how aggressive he is with the ball. Sure he's not consistent, but he's not fit and he plays for us in the Championship, not Manchester United etc.. The expectations of some fans is incredible.

I know what you're saying he looks quite classy as he twists and turns his way through with the ball, but then he stops and looks up and has the ball taken off him, or else he over hits an over ambitious pass. Either way we lose the ball too often when he is playing so far. I too think he will come good with game time, look how Crofts has improved again with games under his belt ( well shooting aside). Last night I wanted to strangle Agustien though :smile:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Agree, and it's hard to look good if the performance around you is poor.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I know what you're saying he looks quite classy as he twists and turns his way through with the ball, but then he stops and looks up and has the ball taken off him, or else he over hits an over ambitious pass. Either way we lose the ball too often when he is playing so far. I too think he will come good with game time, look how Crofts has improved again with games under his belt ( well shooting aside). Last night I wanted to strangle Agustien though :smile:

Well you could look at it that way but you could also say "he stops looks to see who he should pass to and there is no one there making themselves available ???

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was mainly making reference to things such as shouting at the ref, name calling etc, when he had clearly made the right decision against us. Or shouting at an Albion player who had done something without any other option available to him. That type of thing.

Fair enough:thumbsup:

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I have to be honest, some of the reactions on here are ridiculous...

I've been an active supporter of the Albion for more than 30 years and the football we're witnessing is by no means the worst I've seen (although last night was one of the worst league performances at the Amex).

However, the whole approach of "oh it's better than we had at Withdean so we should be grateful", is tedious...How long are some of you going to go along with that?

We are not the same club that we were then, and fans expectations having been heightened - partly by themselves and the buzz of the new stadium, but mostly from the marketing and noises coming out of the club.

Before Oscar was appointed, Tony Bloom's video interview came out at raised expectations by telling supporters that we would have a team capable of challenging for at least a top six finish. That may still happen, however, after the Derby, Millwall, Ipswich & Sheffield Wednesday performances (and don't forget these 4 are not going to be promotion challengers), I'm convinced that we are nowhere near (tactically) capable of being a top 6 team.

Now, I'm not saying to sack the manager or anything like that...He needs to be given at least another two months to settle and get his squad fit. However, what I do expect is for professional footballers who get paid shedloads of money from money paid by supporters to be able to string two passes together.

I will always be an Albion fan and that will never change, however, what I do expect is that when I've paid over £800 for two season tickets a year, is to be entertained every now & then and not subjected to an abject performance like I have been for most games so far this season.

The trouble is, as I've said before, performances like that over the course of the season won't drive the true fans like myself and my family(who have supported the club since the 50's) away. However, what it will do is drive away the more casual supporters and it's those who the club needs to survive.

One last point...Matty Fryatt scored last night...he is on loan from Leicester(?) and is a proven goalscorer. Why is the club not looking to sign someone short term like him whilst Ulloa is clearly unfit(that was clear even before he went off!). Are we REALLY that broke?

I'm 100% with you here. I haven't been supporting quite as long as you but since 1988 but the mentality has to be different now why should we expect what has gone before us anymore. We have evolved as a club and the team is the same as last season we are just dogged with an awful run of injuries to key players. And of course have a new manager at the helm. The problems in the summer are still not totally gone and im not convinced some of the players want to play for Oscar as much as you know who. This aside all the talk of bringing In a striker needs to end now and we need to see some action which we will because anyone whose any good will now be getting minutes due to Ulloa injury. Fryat or Sako would have been enough to see us through this turbulence. If we are in the top half of the table by Christmas and we sign smart in Jan why not be in the play offs. Consolidation season was never the plan TB said it himself at the start of the campaign

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Give Oscar the financial backing Gus had and the freedom to choose his own players and he may be just as good, maybe better. Gus wanted out and I'd suggest he knew he couldn't improve with FFP coming in. Who's to say we'd be doing any better this season with Gus??? We will never know but Oscar has his hands tied in a way I don't think Gus ever did imo.

1000%! Poyet wouldn't have worked under such constraints and he's no longer here! OG might not have realised what he was letting himself in for?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Always felt that this will be a quiet year witrh us finishing somewhere between 9th and 14th. We're changing a culture here and that takes time. Just dont worry right now if we lose and was surprised how nonchalent ı was about the game Tuesday night. Having said that if we hadnt scored I would have been more fearful for saturday. In bloody Jordan then so will probably miss the game.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yup, still feel very relaxed. It's almost like the Withdean days but with the bonus of seeing so many people in town in Albion tops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here