Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Doctor Who (spoiler alert)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think we can all agree that we hope it gets better when RTD comes back. I'm not avidly watching the latest lot of episodes including the ones at Xmas - In part due to my wife offering commentary on how bad she finds JW whenever she walks in the room - but they've been average at best.

As an aside, You have a point that some episdoes can be better / worse on a 2nd viewing. I never realised how annoying Martha Jones was (She was obviously bonused on how many times she shouted DOCTOR) and Tennant's portrayal of the Doctor like he'd always had about 3 pints was grating after a while but it all seemed to work at the time. Equally caught some Capaldi stuff that is actually very good. Unfortunately, I think this run will be "bad at the time and bad in hindsight"

We will see. Roll on the new bloke. Tennant and Tate less so.

:thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Following the announcement of the return of David Tennant and Catherine Tate, predictably...

[tweet]1526259445008842752[/tweet]

(Originally the articile was fooled by a false site, but they now have some set photos seemingly confirming the return, though still awaiting the official announcement)

Also, new Character

[tweet]1526261204355887105[/tweet]

Set to play a character called Rose Temple-Noble.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
My son, who is a DW fanatic is having some sort of watch along with his like minded mates tonight as the BBC 4 show the upgraded release of the first series which has been upgraded to colour. Could be of interest to some on here. (Watching it too, not going round his house to watch it)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Shame they've brought back his worst companion
All about opinions, but she's definitely not the worst. One of the best for me. A companion that wasn't there just as eye candy or to be besotted with the Doctor was a welcome change. The ending for her was also genuinely heartbreaking TV.

I've enjoyed most of the recent Doctor Who series, some more than others, but the biggest problem facing the latest incarnation has been the gaping chasms of time between the episodes meant it was nigh on impossible to gain any real momentum.

Jodie Whittaker only did 32 episodes in 6 years, whereas Capaldi had 35 in 3 years, Smith did 45 in 3.5 years and Tennant did 50 in 5 years, plus the stories were getting so complex that I forgot what happened by the time the next batch aired.

Still, looking forward to this weekend's episode and keen to see what Ncuti Gatwa can do.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Shame they've brought back his worst companion
Have you forgotten River Song? :)

I've re-read my earlier posts on this thread and I still stand by them - the Doctor has become a bit too powerful, the Chibnall era was dreadful and by extension Whittaker was the worst-ever Doctor. However I've been gorging myself on the iPlayer archive and I'm ready to forgive and forget and welcome RTD back. Looking forward to it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Entertained to see that the new episode on Saturday is titled 'The Star Beast'. Robert A Heinlein had a novel in the 50s of the same title and 'Star Beast' was the title of the Dan O Bannon screenplay that ended up being 'Alien'.

My Sci Fi geekyness is suitable piqued.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That Mark Gatiss dramatization tonight of the first doctor was epic TV. Absolutely brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here