Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Doctor Who (spoiler alert)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I loved it. To another's point, it did seem a bit like RTD had just gone "Forget all that nonsense in the middle, LOOK TEN IS BACK!" and although I enjoyed large parts of the intervening years, I'm up for that as an approach.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It was a bit woke with the trans kid and we all knew the coffee was getting thrown into the tardis. Apart from that it was alright.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
You not trying to say the Meep wasn't real, are you?

Reports that say that something is unbelievable are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are believable things; there are things we believe we believe. We also know there are believable unbelievable things; that is to say we know there are some things we do not believe. But there are also unbelievable unbelievable things —the ones we unbelievably can't believe we don't believe. And if one looks throughout the history of Doctor Who, it is the latter category that tends to be the difficult ones.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Back to how Dr Who should be, good family entertainment. Donna is a great character, Tenant is the best Dr Who since Tom Baker, what is not to like?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It was a bit woke with the trans kid and we all knew the coffee was getting thrown into the tardis. Apart from that it was alright.
What part of there being a Trans actress on screen in an integral role wasnt "alright" though? The fact that there was a Trans person on screen, will have made some young kid going through a horrible time think just a little bit better about themselves, made them feel just a little bit less alone, and shown that they arent the only ones. What enjoyment did it take away from you watching it, why wasnt it "alright" in your eyes. Why would it have been better with a CIS Female or male in that role? What did it take away from the plot or your enjoyment of it?

Why no comment about a wheelchair user being on screen-isnt that just as "woke"

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What part of there being a Trans actress on screen in an integral role wasnt "alright" though? The fact that there was a Trans person on screen, will have made some young kid going through a horrible time think just a little bit better about themselves, made them feel just a little bit less alone, and shown that they arent the only ones. What enjoyment did it take away from you watching it, why wasnt it "alright" in your eyes. Why would it have been better with a CIS Female or male in that role? What did it take away from the plot or your enjoyment of it?

A Meep is believable but a trans character is "woke"

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

I think when he said "woke", what he meant to say was thoughtful, compassionate, understanding and kind.
Brilliantly done by RTD and if it outs a few bigots then great. If it makes a few bigots actually think then even better.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think when he said "woke", what he meant to say was thoughtful, compassionate, understanding and kind.
Brilliantly done by RTD and if it outs a few bigots then great. If it makes a few bigots actually think then even better.
I'm normally in the camp of not liking the BBC to be too "woke" but have to say I didn't feel that all with Dr Who, maybe it was because it didn't feel like a lecture as it sometimes can. It was just a reasonable part of the story.

That said I did spend quite a lot of the episode thinking isn't that Nessa from Eldorado in the wheelchair. The actress was familiar but couldn't place her?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I'm normally in the camp of not liking the BBC to be too "woke" but have to say I didn't feel that all with Dr Who, maybe it was because it didn't feel like a lecture as it sometimes can. It was just a reasonable part of the story.

That said I did spend quite a lot of the episode thinking isn't that Nessa from Eldorado in the wheelchair. The actress was familiar but couldn't place her?
She was in Years and Years if you watched that?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Reports that say that something is unbelievable are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are believable things; there are things we believe we believe. We also know there are believable unbelievable things; that is to say we know there are some things we do not believe. But there are also unbelievable unbelievable things —the ones we unbelievably can't believe we don't believe. And if one looks throughout the history of Doctor Who, it is the latter category that tends to be the difficult ones.
You do realise that I'm not Geoff, right?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It was fine. My only real issue was the soundtrack was going for such an epic John Williams feel all the time it made the budget less impressive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here