Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Doctor Who (spoiler alert)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, clever bit of editing. When the programme was originally shown it was Matt Smith (who was the current Doctor at the time).

Although I notice they didn't bother editing the number plate of Hartnell's car. The 'D' reg suffix didn't come in until 1967. And yes, I want everyone to know I'm a pedantic clever-clogs. :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So then, what did we all think?

I thought the opening seemed pointless when it was followed shortly by him having the conversation with the UNIT scientist that covered the same ground, and with the "we could land anywhere in time and space" it felt a bit too patronising, but I suppose they felt it necessary to put these things in there for potential new audiences. I also thought the 'previously' focusing mainly on 10 and Donna felt like a 'let's pretend nothing happened since RTD left'. I thought the resolution to doctordonna was a little easy.

With all the negative out the way, I actually quite enjoyed it. It felt familiar, you can see the bigger budget. DT is always fun to watch. I liked the new tardis, though wonder if it will be changed again when Ncuti takes over. It felt very plain and simple, quite basic, but open. Like they will build over it for the next doctor. I expect they are saving the Wilf return for the third episode, build to it to exacerbate all the feels and tears.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

I thought the opening seemed pointless when it was followed shortly by him having the conversation with the UNIT scientist that covered the same ground, and with the "we could land anywhere in time and space" it felt a bit too patronising, but I suppose they felt it necessary to put these things in there for potential new audiences. I also thought the 'previously' focusing mainly on 10 and Donna felt like a 'let's pretend nothing happened since RTD left'. I thought the resolution to doctordonna was a little easy.

With all the negative out the way, I actually quite enjoyed it. It felt familiar, you can see the bigger budget. DT is always fun to watch. I liked the new tardis, though wonder if it will be changed again when Ncuti takes over. It felt very plain and simple, quite basic, but open. Like they will build over it for the next doctor. I expect they are saving the Wilf return for the third episode, build to it to exacerbate all the feels and tears.
Thought it was great. Loved the new titles and theme. Episode was fast paced and fun. RTD just knows how to do this sort of thing. The TARDIS looked gorgeous. As poor old Bernard Cribbins died during filming I'm not sure we'll see a huge amount of him but there should be a bit.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

Well, I quite enjoyed it in the sense it felt very familiar and nostalgic. Tenant and Tate have a chemistry that was lacking in the Whittaker years in particular, and they were clearly enjoying themselves. The story (involving the aliens) was quite obvious with the Meep being so cute, it reminded me of my youngest daughter (and she would happily destroy London as well if she was able to).
I think it was a family friendly episode (unless your family is full of intolerant homophobes) and my children certainly enjoyed it.
The resolution was a bit too easy, a "Get Out of Jail Free Card type" solution that Russell T Davies often used.
But looking forward to see how the next two episodes pan out and where that will leave the next Doctor.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Donna is so annoying, especially the “coffee incident”.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Here's a spoiler from an old git! None of this new fangled Dr Who compares to the classic doctors Pertwee and Baker. It's all too earnest and none of that wobbling sets and tongue in cheek. I also don't like the BBC hype trying to convince me it's their flag ship offering.

Last edited:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Strong episode, but that’s not saying much as Who has been woeful for years. Love that iPlayer has all the classic-Who at the moment, Troughton was awesome, and really needs to be in the conversation for the best Doctor.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I really enjoyed it. Best episode for a couple of years. ....almost unfair that a new Doctor has to take over so soon after a tour de force from Tennant. Fast paced, fun and a fantastic new interior for the Tardis....9/10.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’m about 20 minutes in on iPlayer, it is terrible. Pretty much the worst Dr Who since it came back with Eccleston.

Made it to the end, Tennant and Tate are good actors, but the episode was dreadful.

Last edited:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I've seen people on various sites claiming they ripped off the Gremlins, Ewoks or Furbies for the design of Beep The Meep.

As any proper Dr Who geek knows, Beep the Meep predates all of those, being based on the most popular Doctor Who comic strip of all time which ran across several issues of Doctor Who magazine in 1980, way before the 1983 Ewoks, 1984 Gremlins or 1998 Furbies.

The design of the Meep and Wrarth Warrors, the spaceship and entire plotline (arrival, identity, background, escape plan, spaceship, powers and all) are all 100% identical to the original 1980 comic strip. Obviously the bits about the Doctor, Donna and so on are a modern addition, but the main plot and its accompanying aliens and tech were basically a hugely respectful and close as possible TV recreation of a 43 year old comic strip.

All of which makes it extra pleasing how well the episode has gone down with modern demanding TV audiences, especially the younglings who didn't grow up with old school Who (which arguably peaked with Tom Baker, who was approaching the end of his time in the TARDIS when the Meep original comic strip ran).

For a 1980 comic strip presented for a 2023 audience with enough Disney+ money to make it look fancy whilst also still looking a bit shonky I think the episode done good.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m about 20 minutes in on iPlayer, it is terrible. Pretty much the worst Dr Who since it came back with Eccleston.

Made it to the end, Tennant and Tate are good actors, but the episode was dreadful.
Boo. BOO!

Mrs T and I are delighted with it.

My pal Bob is 80. He has never watched a single episode of Dr Who. Ever. Apparently he thinks it's shit.

???

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Biggest LOL at this thread that someone thinks the episode last night is worse than some of the nonsense episodes with Peter Kay or James Cordon or half the dreadful scripts Capaldi and Whittaker got dealt.

Good, fun tv, which is exactly what Doctor Who should be. Crazy how the main 2 just slotted back like it had been 6 months not 12 years

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
That was the best Dr Who episode in many and it was good to see David Tennant back, but even on a Dr Who suspended belief level the Meep, although cute, was about as credible as Jar Jar Binks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was the best Dr Who episode in many and it was good to see David Tennant back, but even on a Dr Who suspended belief level the Meep, although cute, was about as credible as Jar Jar Binks.
You not trying to say the Meep wasn't real, are you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here