Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Doctor Who (spoiler alert)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How did the Judoon get into the Tardis to arrest the Doctor?

In Journeys End the 10th Doctor says nothing could get through those doors (until the Daleks somehow took the defences down) so how did the Judoon get in?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I don't think so, now.

The timeless child died in a fall, just like the policeman died in a fall. The policeman had his mind wiped, like the timeless child / doctor. So it was a forgotten memory the doctor had - stored in the matrix, disguised so that it didn't reveal the reality of the timeless child.

So I will ask again. If the Policeman was the Doctor, why did he just come alive again in the same body like Jack Harkness rather than regenerate to someone else?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I absolutely loved the finale. I thought Dhawan was a compelling incarnation of the Master and the lone Cyberman was actually properly scary for a while too.

Doctor Who suffers because people want things to stay the same and also be fresh and different, it was the same with Star Trek Discovery. The amount of people moaning that it's "not Doctor Who" and it's "not Star Trek" are only complaining because it's not what you want it to be. Most of the thematic approaches are completely consistent with what came before.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
So I will ask again. If the Policeman was the Doctor, why did he just come alive again in the same body like Jack Harkness rather than regenerate to someone else?

There was a David Tennant episode, I forget which one, where he regenerated without changing his appearance for some plot reason or other, and Romana burned through a couple of regenerations to try on new appearances before settling on looking like Princess Astra (Lalla Ward). So it is by no means cannon that appearance changes at regeneration must always occur or cannot be controlled.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
There was a David Tennant episode, I forget which one, where he regenerated without changing his appearance for some plot reason or other, and Romana burned through a couple of regenerations to try on new appearances before settling on looking like Princess Astra (Lalla Ward). So it is by no means cannon that appearance changes at regeneration must always occur or cannot be controlled.

But on those occasions, did they regenerate but still look the same or just come back to life?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

The policeman didn't exist.

The doctor was the timeless child.

The timeless child fell off the cliff, and regenerated.

The doctor's memory of this, which was stored in the matrix, was altered to the policeman falling off a cliff and returning to life ( but not regenerating ).

This altered memory was left as a hidden clue ( left by tacteun? ) and managed to escape redaction in the matrix because it appeared to be not connected to the timeless child. Sloppy redaction.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
But on those occasions, did they regenerate but still look the same or just come back to life?

They didn't come back to life on any of those occasions, regeneration only occurs when a Time Lord is near to death, not actually dead.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The policeman didn't exist.

The doctor was the timeless child.

The timeless child fell off the cliff, and regenerated.

The doctor's memory of this, which was stored in the matrix, was altered to the policeman falling off a cliff and returning to life ( but not regenerating ).

This altered memory was left as a hidden clue ( left by tacteun? ) and managed to escape redaction in the matrix because it appeared to be not connected to the timeless child. Sloppy redaction.

Is the correct answer. The memory was altered to mask the truth.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I absolutely loved the finale. I thought Dhawan was a compelling incarnation of the Master and the lone Cyberman was actually properly scary for a while too.

Doctor Who suffers because people want things to stay the same and also be fresh and different, it was the same with Star Trek Discovery. The amount of people moaning that it's "not Doctor Who" and it's "not Star Trek" are only complaining because it's not what you want it to be. Most of the thematic approaches are completely consistent with what came before.

Dhawan was really good. The only problem being was that he comes after Missy and even John Simm (who, I think, returns in the next series). They were both outstanding and he will always be judged against them.

My verdict, very good, but not Missy and slightly short of Simm.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Dhawan was really good. The only problem being was that he comes after Missy and even John Simm (who, I think, returns in the next series). They were both outstanding and he will always be judged against them.

My verdict, very good, but not Missy and slightly short of Simm.

John Simm was excellent, however, I think he going to be kept busy with the Inspector Grace series for the foreseeable.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How did the Judoon get into the Tardis to arrest the Doctor?

In Journeys End the 10th Doctor says nothing could get through those doors (until the Daleks somehow took the defences down) so how did the Judoon get in?

Good point, I thought that was odd, I was under the impression the Tardis was sentient and would not tolerate anyone/thing it didn't like setting foot in it. Plus, them little wooden doors are impervious to anyone and everything apart from the right Yale key.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've always loved the show but it's utter turd now imo. How they can just go and retcon a bunch of new Doctors before Hartnell is just ridiculous. It underminds the whole mythos for me.

I stopped watched weeks ago and I can't see myself watching it anymore. Nothing against Jodie but the writing is shockingly bad. Chibnall isn't a scratch on Moffatt/RTD. It's just not the same show anymore and the viewing figures are telling the real story here.

I'll just stick to the 60's/70's era I think,

Agree, that has absolutely killed it for me. In fairness the Doctor's change from alien outcast to some sort of godlike figure started before the Chibnall era. The 'old', pre-reboot Doctor didn't have a fraction of the knowledge that the 'new' doctors have, let alone all the super mental powers that he/she seems to have acquired. We thought that when he got K9 it was making him too powerful! (And don't get me started on the sonic screwdriver).

So yeah, very disappointed with the way the new series has gone, and that's nothing against Jodie who is no more irritating than, say, Matt Smith. (And way better as the Doctor than Sylvester McCoy). There's been some good episodes, but overall it's been poor. I was so bored/annoyed by the final episode (only just watched it on catch-up) that I found it a real struggle to stick it out to the end.

Anyway, that's me done with it. Sad day.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Agree, that has absolutely killed it for me. In fairness the Doctor's change from alien outcast to some sort of godlike figure started before the Chibnall era. The 'old', pre-reboot Doctor didn't have a fraction of the knowledge that the 'new' doctors have, let alone all the super mental powers that he/she seems to have acquired. We thought that when he got K9 it was making him too powerful! (And don't get me started on the sonic screwdriver).

So yeah, very disappointed with the way the new series has gone, and that's nothing against Jodie who is no more irritating than, say, Matt Smith. (And way better as the Doctor than Sylvester McCoy). There's been some good episodes, but overall it's been poor. I was so bored/annoyed by the final episode (only just watched it on catch-up) that I found it a real struggle to stick it out to the end.

Anyway, that's me done with it. Sad day.

But it has already been mentioned that there were doctors prior to Hartnell.

These guys
moribus-doctors-ebe2656.jpg

It's easy to ignore aspects of canon that don't support your personal interpretation, but it's not broken anything.

In my view it adds to canon and adds further mystery to the character of the Doctor, after all, where did they come from?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's easy to ignore aspects of canon that don't support your personal interpretation, but it's not broken anything.

In my view it adds to canon and adds further mystery to the character of the Doctor, after all, where did they come from?

Well said.

As one becomes a grumpy old man it becomes increasingly important to resist becoming a grumpy old man.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I found last season / series of the show at bit 'meh'. It didn't feel like Doctor Who, or at least, it didn't match my personal idea of what Doctor Who was. Conversely, it WAS closer to the original concept of the show, back when it started, so who am I to critique?

This season, however, has been wonderful. Just the right amount of mythology explored, a degree of 'arc' across the whole run, plus Jodie Whittaker got the opportunity to show off her acting ability. She's become THE DOCTOR this season, and it culminated in the finale, which pleased, teased and setup future story arcs in equal measure.

It's always good to see a properly unhinged Master as well, and now we can begin the understand WHY he's always soooo angry.

Loved it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But it has already been mentioned that there were doctors prior to Hartnell.

These guys:

I genuinely wasn't aware of that, when was it mentioned? I've been falling more and more out of love with Dr Who in recent years (the Chibnall era is simply the last straw) and I admit I haven't seen all episodes probably since Matt Smith.

And I DID prefer it when they* was a lonely alien outcast battling small-scale foes as opposed to the demigod figure who can reboot the universe and has whole species trembling at their power when they tells them to search their databases for mentions of The Doctor. As they've made them more powerful they've had to make the situations 'bigger', and I feel they've lost something in the process. It used to be just them saving the world, now it's often about them saving the very fabric of time and space itself.

*Note my use of the 'Sam Smith', i.e. using 'they' as a gender-neutral pronoun. Hopefully it hasn't made it too confusing to read.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
I genuinely wasn't aware of that, when was it mentioned? I've been falling more and more out of love with Dr Who in recent years (the Chibnall era is simply the last straw) and I admit I haven't seen all episodes probably since Matt Smith.

It was in The Brain of Morbius. Classic Philip Hinchcliffe / Tom Baker monster era.

The Doctor has always been a bit mysterious, for instance did we ever find out his dark secret from the old time, the time of chaos, that Lady Peinforte threatened him with in Silver Nemesis?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

And I DID prefer it when they* was a lonely alien outcast battling small-scale foes as opposed to the demigod figure who can reboot the universe and has whole species trembling at their power when they tells them to search their databases for mentions of The Doctor. As they've made them more powerful they've had to make the situations 'bigger', and I feel they've lost something in the process. It used to be just them saving the world, now it's often about them saving the very fabric of time and space itself.

*Note my use of the 'Sam Smith', i.e. using 'they' as a gender-neutral pronoun. Hopefully it hasn't made it too confusing to read.

That was from the Brain of Morbius, when the Doctor enters a 'mind bending' competition with the powerful mind of Morbius. During that he shows us and Morbius 8 faces that were supposedly prior to Hartnell.

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/The_Doctor_(The_Brain_of_Morbius)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I suppose with BBC cutbacks, I reckon the sound of Cybermen on the march is two guys banging dustbin lids together.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here