Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want more of the NHS to be privatised?

Do you want more of the NHS to be privatised?

• I'd like it to be completely privatised

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I'd like a bit more to be privatised

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • I'd like it to stay as it is

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • I'd like it to be less privatised than it is

Votes: 59 53.6%
  • Don't care who provides the service, as long as it's free at point of use

Votes: 23 20.9%

• Total voters

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If it can run more efficiently I don't see a problem with privatisation. It also makes people personally responsible rather than passing the buck through the system when it goes wrong. It will always be free and publicly funded.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If there's a profit to be made, then it will all be about the profit - **** the customer.

Corrected for you.

But seriously, if these companies invest in state of the art equipment and upgrade their technologies, they may well earn what they deserve, both in saving peoples lives, quick diagnosis and with less visits needed from the customer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Corrected for you.
:thumbsup:

But seriously, if these companies invest in state of the art equipment and upgrade their technologies, they may well earn what they deserve, both in saving peoples lives, quick diagnosis and with less visits needed from the customer.
I can't see that working. For the NHS, less visits from the patient/customer is good. We generally hope they don't kill the patients off, because there's not much in it for them if they do. But we wouldn't want a privatised company getting the same payment regardless of whether they kill off all their patients or not.

I'd like to see Labour and the Tories join forces and employ some very smart people to come up with a plan that successive governments could follow. I don't like the NHS being used as a pawn, and I certainly don't want people to have to get insurance.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
:thumbsup:

I can't see that working. For the NHS, less visits from the patient/customer is good. We generally hope they don't kill the patients off, because there's not much in it for them if they do. But we wouldn't want a privatised company getting the same payment regardless of whether they kill off all their patients or not.

I'd like to see Labour and the Tories join forces and employ some very smart people to come up with a plan that successive governments could follow. I don't like the NHS being used as a pawn, and I certainly don't want people to have to get insurance.

As long as it is well thought out and contracts were won without brown envelopes I think it could be beneficial.

I would implement a burger and pie van outside every A&E throughout the country and it could raise £millions for the NHS, especially Fri and Sat nights, and that's just one smart idea :)

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
If it can run more efficiently I don't see a problem with privatisation.

To turn a profit -- and no firm will engage in up a privatization scheme that isn't profitable -- and achieve greater efficiency, you'd need major -- and i maintain unrealistic -- improvements over the status quo. It's not enough to turn a profit, it has to turn a profit and be better. To privatize merely for privatization's sake is the sort of dogmatic, ideologically-driven move for which the left is always berated.

But seriously, if these companies invest in state of the art equipment and upgrade their technologies,

We have this in the US. An MRI machine in every strip mall. Once you acquire them, you have to use them, to generate the revenue to pay for them. That leads to a conflict of interest between practitioners qua practitioners, and practitioners qua businessmen.

You've already bolloxed up your post-secondary education system chasing American phantoms. Don't do it with your health care delivery system, too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here