Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want more of the NHS to be privatised?

Do you want more of the NHS to be privatised?

• I'd like it to be completely privatised

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I'd like a bit more to be privatised

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • I'd like it to stay as it is

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • I'd like it to be less privatised than it is

Votes: 59 53.6%
  • Don't care who provides the service, as long as it's free at point of use

Votes: 23 20.9%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We and Americans have pride and show respect. Take the Europeans, they come here without and get it for free as it's their right, now go and look at all the other European countries and see if they return the same offer.
One thing at a time - you said "the NHS is free for the world" and I thought 'good point' and I gave you a thumbs up. Then I thought, hold on, that can't be right. I looked it up and indeed it's not correct at all.
I know the findings but want you to go and look, you'd be amazed on the findings and you then can understand why millions flock here.
I imagine I get free health care when traveling within the EU. I don't need to go and do further reading, you made a bold statement and you got it wrong.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Nothing to do with energy savings then!

If you can show me evidence, or I'll even take your word for it, that the energy savings would be considerable enough over the estimated lifetime of the original screens I'll accept your point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One thing at a time - you said "the NHS is free for the world" and I thought 'good point' and I gave you a thumbs up. Then I thought, hold on, that can't be right. I looked it up and indeed it's not correct at all.
I imagine I get free health care when traveling within the EU. I don't need to go and do further reading, you made a bold statement and you got it wrong.

The E111 covers you in the EU, depending on their system. I've been taken ill twice in France. I showed my E111 for treatment, but had to pay the doctor 20 euros for the appointment. I got a prescription which cost me 15 euros. Both times I filled in a brown & white form, which was stamped.
When I got home, I sent the forms to Newcastle, as my travel insurance had an excess of £50. Newcastle processed the claim & I received £27 refund.
This happened both times.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I worship the NHS, it is flawed, it creaks at times, and its priorities aren't always mine, but overall it does a fantastic job.

In principle I guess I don't care who does the work so long as it is free to the user. However, I suspect that doing so would cost the country more money. In the US medical care takes up 17% of GDP, whereas in the UK it is 9%, yet the UK has longer life expectancy. The gap is taken up by privately run hospitals, insurance companies and medics making a fortune.

I agree, a fantastic system.

However, I do believe that people who fail to turn up to their appointment should be charged.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Because its free at point of use, so many people take the NHS utterly for granted. Like the chavs who make A&E a family outing on a Friday night. Like the weekend drunks who somehow feel the need to assault the people trying to ease an ailment usually of their own making. Like the millions wasted every year by people who just don't turn up for appointments. Like the massive spraying around of pills and tablets that aren't really needed any more and the huge number of walking sticks and zimmer frames they never get back or even ask to get back. Like patients who get a menu card, three free meals a day and cups of tea and still moan about the food.

For sure the NHS is seriously flawed in many ways and needs a good institutional slap, mainly to force it to make many its point of use users to stop acting like complete *****. Hit them through their pockets or through their benefits, maybe make them stop and think before abusing one of the greatest assets we have access to. Make them act like grown-ups basically.

Everybody has friends or family members who's lives have been saved by the NHS. It's a wondrous thing. All of my friends in the US live in constant fear of losing their jobs, not so much because they'd loses their job, but because they'd lose their health care. Makes you think.

I agree with you entirely. Lots of people take the piss, but that's due to ignorance, laziness and contempt of those using it rather than being reasonable and realising its main ambitions are for more deserving users, not the fault of the NHS itself.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The French have an excellent health service where 70% of it is paid through the state. Everyone has an insurance policy which covers the remaining 30%. I have spoken to expats who live in France, who have experienced the care and cannot fault it. If you need a blood test, the nurse visits you at a convenient time.

If someone came to my house, in a nurse's uniform, and with a French accent, I would be prepared to pay for it. In fact, thinking about it, I probably have done so once or twice already.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Absolutely not, but with this government the NHS will become increasingly privatised and fundamentally changed for the worse IMO.

Go on then, which parts will they SELL off, and I mean SELL in that they will need buy them back if they want to bring them back under government control ? Or is it that you don't understand the word 'privatise' ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Go on then, which parts will they SELL off, and I mean SELL in that they will need buy them back if they want to bring them back under government control ? Or is it that you don't understand the word 'privatise' ?

It may not be strictly 'sold off' but it will now be privatised at an increasing rate, surely you must agree with that?! Even the Economist does:

http://www.economist.com/news/brita...ill-increase-coming-years-public-goes-private

Today is the beginning of a two tier health service IMO and the TTIP just provides the icing on the cake.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
The E111 covers you in the EU, depending on their system. I've been taken ill twice in France. I showed my E111 for treatment, but had to pay the doctor 20 euros for the appointment. I got a prescription which cost me 15 euros. Both times I filled in a brown & white form, which was stamped.
When I got home, I sent the forms to Newcastle, as my travel insurance had an excess of £50. Newcastle processed the claim & I received £27 refund.
This happened both times.

Not any more, since July 2014, you have to submit your claim to France in French. Just cost me €110 and to be honest, it was a right pain trying to track down the correct place to send the forms that I gave up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not any more, since July 2014, you have to submit your claim to France in French. Just cost me €110 and to be honest, it was a right pain trying to track down the correct place to send the forms that I gave up.

Ok I was ill three years ago and not had any problem since. That sounds like a pain, although friends living in France and a French friend living in Shoreham would probably help if I got stuck.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It may not be strictly 'sold off' but it will now be privatised at an increasing rate, surely you must agree with that?! Even the Economist does:

http://www.economist.com/news/brita...ill-increase-coming-years-public-goes-private

Today is the beginning of a two tier health service IMO and the TTIP just provides the icing on the cake.

The only thing in the NHS that has been privatised is the building ownership under the PFI deals .... by Labour ... and even then the NHS owns the buildings in the end. Everything else that people claim has been privatised is actually outsourcing - something I assume you do, unless you service your own car or boiler ?

As for TTIP - nowt to do with privatisation, nothing at all.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Having experienced the US healthcare system first hand make me appreciate the NHS even more. I'm lucky and have good medical insurance through my company but many Americans are not so lucky, although the affordable healthcare act has started to improve that situation.

Even with it's flaws Brits are rightly proud of the NHS and what is stands for.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you can show me evidence, or I'll even take your word for it, that the energy savings would be considerable enough over the estimated lifetime of the original screens I'll accept your point.

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology...hy-the-energy-costs-may-make-you-think-again/

Now I know that the screens tested are bigger than your average pc but principle is the same. The article was written 4 yrs ago so developments have probably made them more efficient. Add in the savings of buying monitors in bulk.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Yep.
What? You've completely throw me there. On the one hand you're concerned about companies abusing the NHS and then you wonder if it's better being privatised? I'm confused.

I just think that maybe the NHS might be better off going with the flow rather than trying to hold back the tide...

I really don't know on this issue.

Also perhaps the medical staff would be held to a higher level if they were working directly for the patient rather than a third party.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also perhaps the medical staff would be held to a higher level if they were working directly for the patient rather than a third party.
If there's a profit to be made, then it will all be about the profit - **** the patient.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here