Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's book officially not stocked at the club shop.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I like Ray Bloom and am grateful for the fact that he once offered Roz and me a seat in his taxi that took us from Doncaster station to Belle Vue when the train we were travelling on arrived an hour late at Donny.

But am I allowed to be slightly disturbed by the way he was talking when TB took over as Chairman? Not "it's great to have the stadium paid for", but "it's good to have the Club back in the hands of the family".

I remember you saying that a year or more back, and its always been in the back of mind when thinking about Bloom.

I have no doubt this is a big vanity project for TB - but one that it is being done from a sensible forward-thinking, long-term-ist viewpoint. The best kind of vanity project, I guess.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just out of interest, was this a random outburst or did it result from something someone said?

Neither random just bored of this whole sideshow going about DK and various people who praise him at the high alter.

The past has gone so we move on in this great new era of the Amex.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I remember you saying that a year or more back, and its always been in the back of mind when thinking about Bloom.

I have no doubt this is a big vanity project for TB - but one that it is being done from a sensible forward-thinking, long-term-ist viewpoint. The best kind of vanity project, I guess.

That's the second time I've seen you use that phrase in this context - and I'm curious what you mean by it? To me, a vanity project is something that is frivolous or adds zero or little value, paid for by someone who has excess money, for superficial reasons. If you have a similar understanding of the term, I'm wondering how you think it would accurately describe Tony Bloom's investment in the club?

Are you implying TB is vain? To me, he comes across as one of the least vain people in football; I certainly get the impression he wants as low a profile as it is possible to have. Have I been hoodwinked by him, in your opinion?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Neither random just bored of this whole sideshow going about DK and various people who praise him at the high alter.

The past has gone so we move on in this great new era of the Amex.

There is absolutely no need for the supporters to be split on this. Just like a person, a football club such as the Albion is largely a product of its history, of the experiences that colour its personality. Dick Knight's role as chairman is behind us but the history of the Albion over the last 15 years is part of the club's unusual and powerful heritage and there is no reason for that heritage not to be deployed in a positive way by the current board as new ways are introduced and the club progresses towards a wonderful future.

The past is one - just one - of the Albion's assets. What on earth is the point of the museum if that is not so? Just because I've got a turnstile in my garage doesn't mean love the Albion as it now is.

The current tit for tat bickering and finger-pointing really must end.

Supporters can make a start by giving demonstrations of even-handedness and hoping some of the lessons wear off. Surely we all want a united club with room for everyone?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Name dropping again, you'll be tried on that.

Perhaps he doesn't trust others to look after the good ship Albion? Perhaps he feels more comfortable with the club being owned by Albion fans and those he can trust? Who could blame him? He's worked with some colourful characters with no real link to the club.

I don't think that Ray Bloom, even at his most revisionist, would suggest Dick isn't an Albion fan.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm rather disturbed by that also, but not surprised.
WTF are you "disturbed" by the club being "back in the hands of" the Bloom family....?

Rest easy. The last thought before you go to sleep each night should be "Thank God for Tony Bloom...!!".

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You can always count on NSC to have posters commenting with such unshakable authority on a subject they don't actually have any concrete information about. Certainly the case with those saying this decision is down to the share expression of interest form in the book.

My two penny worth is that had the club just stocked a few copies this would all have blown over. Also, with FFP, anything which gets people in the shop is probably welcome. It's not like by not stocking it at The Amex the same people won't buy it anyway.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
That's the second time I've seen you use that phrase in this context - and I'm curious what you mean by it? To me, a vanity project is something that is frivolous or adds zero or little value, paid for by someone who has excess money, for superficial reasons. If you have a similar understanding of the term, I'm wondering how you think it would accurately describe Tony Bloom's investment in the club?

Are you implying TB is vain? To me, he comes across as one of the least vain people in football; I certainly get the impression he wants as low a profile as it is possible to have. Have I been hoodwinked by him, in your opinion?

Hey Chas, I'm not using this term in a negative sense, more a neutral one, but its how I'm trying to make sense of whats going on here. At one end he's invested 150 million in Brighton, he's completely rejigging the club to be PL-ready - which in essence means moving towards a more customer-focused model than fan-focused; and he's also apparently sitting on top of any dissent, summarily dismissing Gus, removing DK from AITC and now this book thing. So is it pure altruism - hardly or DK would still be chairman - is it a business deal - well there'll be a profit if he sells on to a sheikh somewhere with us mid-table in the prem, but hardly seems worth the risk - so I'm left with Abramovich-esque vanity project with a dollop of fan-based altruism and a healthy side of family heirloom.

To your point - is a vanity project something that is frivoulous or adds little value - sure, and as far as TB's business empire is concerned, acquiring the Albion is clearly frivolous and of little value. Vanity is also about making someone look good and feel good in the adoration of others, big tick there. Is he that reclusive, he's doing fans forums and so on.

No-one is hoodwinked, are they? If I had that money I would also have invested, and for sure it would have been in much the same way, I'm sure I would have lapped up your praise :wink:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hey Chas, I'm not using this term in a negative sense, more a neutral one, but its how I'm trying to make sense of whats going on here. At one end he's invested 150 million in Brighton, he's completely rejigging the club to be PL-ready - which in essence means moving towards a more customer-focused model than fan-focused; and he's also apparently sitting on top of any dissent, summarily dismissing Gus, removing DK from AITC and now this book thing. So is it pure altruism - hardly or DK would still be chairman - is it a business deal - well there'll be a profit if he sells on to a sheikh somewhere with us mid-table in the prem, but hardly seems worth the risk - so I'm left with Abramovich-esque vanity project with a dollop of fan-based altruism and a healthy side of family heirloom.

To your point - is a vanity project something that is frivoulous or adds little value - sure, and as far as TB's business empire is concerned, acquiring the Albion is clearly frivolous and of little value. Vanity is also about making someone look good and feel good in the adoration of others, big tick there. Is he that reclusive, he's doing fans forums and so on.

No-one is hoodwinked, are they? If I had that money I would also have invested, and for sure it would have been in much the same way, I'm sure I would have lapped up your praise :wink:
I think this analysis MASSIVELY underestimates Tony Bloom. As a good Lancing College boy he has a very well developed sense of service to his community and the spirit he does things in could not be further from the likes of Abramovich or the bloke at Cardiff... He is extremely unpretentious and friendly when you meet him and I am very confident that it is not an act.

The sums of money are alien but it really feels like it is his hobby as an Albion fan and his gift to the local community.

We just need to be quietly grateful and enjoy it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You can always count on NSC to have posters commenting with such unshakable authority on a subject they don't actually have any concrete information about. Certainly the case with those saying this decision is down to the share expression of interest form in the book.

Irony alert?!

Or, Walt, do you actually know why the club isn't stocking it (if, indeed, a definite decision not to has already been made)? If so, what is/are the reasons?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree, and I say that as someone who did not/does not agree with much of the DK crew on one of the other threads.

This is an important book, one historical account of a vital period for the club, that is of huge interest to Brighton fans. Brighton fans gather, about 30,000 of them, every two weeks somewhere where there is a shop. That shop should stock this book.

They should stock it even if they don't make a huge profit on it, and even if it ruffles the odd feather. They should stock it because not stocking it is an insult to the fans.
This is the correct answer. It really does seem very petty not to stock this book, in my opinion.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I think this analysis MASSIVELY underestimates Tony Bloom. As a good Lancing College boy he has a very well developed sense of service to his community and the spirit he does things in could not be further from the likes of Abramovich or the bloke at Cardiff... He is extremely unpretentious and friendly when you meet him and I am very confident that it is not an act.

The sums of money are alien but it really feels like it is his hobby as an Albion fan and his gift to the local community.

Ok, thats fair enough, my analysis is trying to pigeonhole people's emotions into a few narrow categories. However I never suggested anything was an act? - he is trying to make Brighton as good as he possibly can. However he is doing it in part by shutting out DK, by raising prices, by introducing 'memberships' and so on that means its not just a 'gift' to the community.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Vanity project. Really!? Yes, because Tony doesn't stop trying to hog the limelight, does he!? Compare with Dick Knight and his 'centre-stage' approach. You seem a tad ungrateful.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

You are spot on, and in no way hoodwinked.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
However he is doing it in part by shutting out DK, by raising prices, by introducing 'memberships' and so on that means its not just a 'gift' to the community.
The "gift" is currently c. £150m give or take a few tens of millions...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

You seriously fail to understand Tony Bloom's motivation. Ah well, to each his/her own. But you are sooo wrong.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Well said. There really are some ungrateful tw@ts on here.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Irony alert?!

Or, Walt, do you actually know why the club isn't stocking it (if, indeed, a definite decision not to has already been made)? If so, what is/are the reasons?

Sorry, have you actually read the rest of this thread?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

In terms of publishing, I've taken a 'vanity project' to mean one where the author speculatively writes their own book with a view to having it published by an as-yet unknown author, as opposed to a publisher commissioning an author to write a book.

In this instance, it's the latter.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The "gift" is currently c. £150m give or take a few tens of millions...

I think the "gift" is a bit different to the money.

IMO, the "gift" is a successful, sustainable, stable football club for now and for future generations of Albion fans. As such, the "gift" is not yet complete, it's work-in-progress. Also, the cash injections are simply the means to achieve the end that I've outlined and are not the end in themselves.

When viewed in the light I've suggested, it throws a different light on some of the decisions that have been made about, for example, Gus and DK....

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here