Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's book officially not stocked at the club shop.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
OK, fair enough.

GP's actions gave TB little choice. Let's not go there.

DK is still life president, but rightfully lost control of the club when TB invested the amount he invested to make DK's dream a reality.

Yes, in both cases, TB made the right decisions in the interests of our club.

I agree with all of the above. It is possible to do so and not slag off Dick Knight aswell. I don't see why support for the current board and Tony Bloom automatically means you have to stick the proverbial knife into Dick Knight.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How old are you?

You're still peddling this childish story about some mythical group that only exists in your perspective-free imagination?

No. Nothing to do with my age.

I was responding to a rather offensive post suggesting that those showing any sign of empathy with TB and/or PB should receive some award for sycophancy. I was merely pointing out that there should be a similar one for those who can see no wrong in DK (the phrase 'DK lickers' was NOTHING to take offence at when compared to what was written in the aforementioned post). OK?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Overall reminiscent of Vic Reeves' Graham Lister's fondness for the company of doctors and architects. High quality fawning. OBN awarded.

"I'd like to thank my family, friends, MoH and the Academy for bestowing this honour..."

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. Everyone on here knew they were coming.

It was on here for two days beforehand.

Lucky guesses. Loads of them on here. Some (very few) turn out to be right.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with all of the above. It is possible to do so and not slag off Dick Knight aswell. I don't see why support for the current board and Tony Bloom automatically means you have to stick the proverbial knife into Dick Knight.

I have expressed my undying gratitude for what Dick did for our club, even on this thread, whilst he was chairman. Recently, a few years after he left that position, he seems to be the one sticking the knife in to the current regime. Silly.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I have expressed my undying gratitude for what Dick did for our club, even on this thread, whilst he was chairman. Recently, a few years after he left that position, he seems to be the one sticking the knife in to the current regime. Silly.

I stand corrected, my apologies.

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of Dick's views on how the current regime does things either. Also despite enjoying his book immensely I did not like the way it ended on a sour note. However, given the 12 years that Dick had put into the Albion I find his frustration and disappointment at the way things turned out entirely understandable from his point of view. If anyone is entitled to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder then surely Dick is. Even if I disagree with some of his opinions on the current regime I do feel he earned the right to air them should he wish too.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No. Nothing to do with my age.

I was responding to a rather offensive post suggesting that those showing any sign of empathy with TB and/or PB should receive some award for sycophancy. I was merely pointing out that there should be a similar one for those who can see no wrong in DK (the phrase 'DK lickers' was NOTHING to take offence at when compared to what was written in the aforementioned post). OK?

But you are a current board sycophant. Everyone knows that. You even call people 'traitors' for questioning them.

Similarly, I don't think there is a person alive who thinks 'Dick can do no wrong'. These people are a figment of your imagination.

Deal with it and move on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I stand corrected, my apologies.

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of Dick's views on how the current regime does things either. Also despite enjoying his book immensely I did not like the way it ended on a sour note. However, given the 12 years that Dick had put into the Albion I find his frustration and disappointment at the way things turned out entirely understandable from his point of view. If anyone is entitled to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder then surely Dick is. Even if I disagree with some of his opinions on the current regime I do feel he earned the right to air them should he wish too.

I think it would have been better for him (DK) to be a little more circumspect.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Right, we definitely need an NSC OBE: a Private Eye-esque Order of the Brown Nose award given to desperate and frankly slightly disturbing posts of such extreme sycophancy that they attempt to wedge their tongue so far up Paul Barber or Tony Bloom's affluent recta that they can taste what they had for breakfast. Congratulations.
I won't join you in being "disturbed" but I am puzzled as to why you would choose to be so unpleasant about a fellow Brighton fan being extremely grateful to Tony Bloom...?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. People KNEW.

Of all players, how would anyone guess Vicente?

Interesting. My recollection of the order of events is a bit different to yours, but if you say so. I can't be bothered to ask for evidence!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But you are a current board sycophant. Everyone knows that. You even call people 'traitors' for questioning them.

Similarly, I don't think there is a person alive who thinks 'Dick can do no wrong'. These people are a figment of your imagination.

I don't need to move on: I'm more than happy with our current chairman, board, and manager. The DK sycophants (and Gus ones) are the ones that need to do so.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Interesting. My recollection of the order of events is a bit different to yours, but if you say so. I can't be bothered to ask for evidence!

Vicente
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?212343-Confirmation-Vicente-has-signed!-Season-1-2011

CMS
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?205300-Hello

Admittedly, Sitch doesn't actually name CMS in the thread. He apparently PMed a few people with the name, but at a later date when people were suggesting Sitch was incredibly reliable I did a little research on CMS coming

Craig Mackail Smith signed 04-07-2011

Murraymints4Brighton talking about a bid in january 2011
Craig Mackail Smith

Mike79 reporting the sun had mentioned norwich bid for him 01-06-2011
Craig Mackail Smith has signed for a Premier League team?!

Lush all right, not suggesting he was signing, but interesting choice of example 06-06-2011
Craig Mack-Ale - suggestions for Albion celebratory foodstuffs?

mejonaN012 aka riskit when everyone else was writing off CMS as having signed for leicester, seemingly suggesting he knew something 01-07-2011 14:23
Craig Mackail-Smith 'expected to join' Leicester City (merged) - Page 2

Two days after mejona's post:
Sitch 03-07-2011
Hello
Which, for those not bothering to read the links took the form "I work at the amex and someone is being shown around the amex, but I won't say who".

The most common guesses were CMS, because it was already rumoured on here we were after him. He didn't exactly reveal that we were signing CMS, he said that someone was being shown around and if we signed him it would be a big signing, but wouldn't say who, so can't be credited with breaking the story. Most people must have known we were after CMS and in with a shout if they guess him for the unknown person sitch saw at the amex.

On the day he signed, it was the guy from talksport who was the first to say cms had chosen brighton.
Talk sport 05:25 this morning 'CMS to sign for Brighton today'!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well, whilst we're on the subject of awards, maybe the 'Annual NSC Namedroppers Plate' could become a regular feature. We have the usual contenders on this thread. Yo Harty, you out there.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well, whilst we're on the subject of awards, maybe the 'Annual NSC Namedroppers Plate' could become a regular feature. We have the usual contenders on this thread. Yo Harty, you out there.

I once met Grotbags...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Correct. There are a dozen people on here - no more - who have invented an entirely mythical gathering of "Dick Lickers" and spend rather too much time attacking that group in the safe and certain knowledge that it can't retaliate because it doesn't exist. I'll say it one more time. There is not one person on the FFA and associated groups - normal recipients of the name-calling - who would regard him/herself as a nailed on Dick supporter. They were all even-handed Albion supporters and remain so today.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I repeat my earlier point - and I believe that, for example, Tooting Gull will back me - that the Charlie Sale column is one that every sports writer reads. While a bit of a Lunchtime O'Booze character, he is ludicrouly well-connected. And it's highly unlikely that he would have plucked the names of two obscure football club directors out of nowhere

Maybe a journalist chum with an anti-Bloom/Perry agenda to push and a book that he ghost-wrote to publicise gave the story to Charlie Sale in the first place.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Maybe a journalist chum with an anti-Bloom/Perry agenda to push and a book that he ghost-wrote to publicise gave the story to Charlie Sale in the first place.

Ha! I can see how people might think that - but I understand from close friends of the journalist in question that he's not that big a chum of CS's, he hasn't got an anti-Bloom/Perry agenda (never met Ray Bloom, always got on very well with Perry) and has no particular reason to publicise the book as he's not on a royalty.

Plus it was news to him that RB and MP had objected to anything in the book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here