Dick's book officially not stocked at the club shop.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
In what way is it banned? Will we be searched on entry and have copies confiscated? Will there be a Farenheit 451 style event outside the West Stand?

probably
oh and burn the clackers while you are there

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
King licker strikes with another load of sh1te

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Just finished and really enjoyed the book.
Doubtless there are a couple of inaccuracies I'm sure (well I know! ) but nonetheless it's a terrific diary of Dick's version of events and I'd like to think that at some stage in the very near future we'll see it on sale at The Amex too.
IMO it deserves to be there.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
Many books are contentious as people often disagree. It's called having your own opinion, but it shouldn't necessarily lead to the club not selling the publication.

What Dick Knight has done for the Club will remain in the memories of Albion fans who lived through that ghastly time, and whatever the current directors say, it does seem small-minded not to sell the book, since it chronicles part of our history from one of our most important supporters.

It looks like they have made a conscious decision not to sell the book. It would have been far easier to put it on the shelves.

What happened to the idea of no-one being bigger that the Club?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I hear our halftime entertainment for the next home game will be a ceremonial book burning in the center circle by Tony and Ray Bloom.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It looks like they have made a conscious decision not to sell the book. It would have been far easier to put it on the shelves.

What happened to the idea of no-one being bigger that the Club?

Simple answer is Tony Bloom had more money than DK so basically he was the only one to move us forward.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Bloom is a relatively silent owner. Dick was on the pitch whenever he could.

Is it really a case of Bloom being bigger than the club?

Can't we just move on?

Both are great men in the Albion folklore.

Understandable that some of our fans will be upset by the revelations. The 'favourite millionaire' has been ousted and replaced by someone with not so much time on his hands to chat with an ordinary fan at every game.

Perhaps those who are not such fans of his should make an effort to attend a meeting where Bloom is present, to voice their opinion, rather than bitching on the Internet.

This is very petty. Of course there will be different views about some aspects of the story. For example (and I speak as someone who was present at the meeting about the Supporters' Bar that features on page 340 of the book), I can well understand how DK's version of that episode might differ from Martin Perry's. But this (and, I dare say, other different nuances that appear in the story) is trivial stuff, more than counterbalanced by DK's praise of Martin ("my trusty lieutenant") that runs through most of the book.

The Club should be as proud as Dick is of what EVERYONE did between 1995 and 2011 - Dick, Martin, the other directors, the Bloom family, the fans, the professionals who steered us through that incredibly difficult planning process, everyone - and should have no qualms about distributing one man's version of the story.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Bloom is a relatively silent owner. Dick was on the pitch whenever he could.

Is it really a case of Bloom being bigger than the club?

Can't we just move on?

Both are great men in the Albion folklore.

Understandable that some of our fans will be upset by the revelations. The 'favourite millionaire' has been ousted and replaced by someone with not so much time on his hands to chat with an ordinary fan at every game.

Perhaps those who are not such fans of his should make an effort to attend a meeting where Bloom is present, to voice their opinion, rather than bitching on the Internet.

Good post. TB does go to a lot of away games though - often by train and always speaks with fans if he gets approached.

Similarly, he was at a meeting of Seagulls Over Burwash tonight answering questions - Paul Barber often attends such meetings too, something our club does extremely well. The people who moan about the club cant attend these meetings to air their concerns though - amazing isnt it :facepalm:

Out of curiosity, I wonder if the journo from the Daily Fail was sent a copy of the book before it was published......

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I hear our halftime entertainment for the next home game will be a ceremonial book burning in the center circle by Tony and Ray Bloom.

More entertaining would be a ceremonial burning of Ray Bloom.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
More entertaining would be a ceremonial burning of Ray Bloom.

There's no proof that he was in cahoots with the former regime. Granted, evidence is not kind on him, but worth burning?

Maybe we have to take his word for it and he hung on in there because he was taken in like many.

I like Ray Bloom and am grateful for the fact that he once offered Roz and me a seat in his taxi that took us from Doncaster station to Belle Vue when the train we were travelling on arrived an hour late at Donny.

But am I allowed to be slightly disturbed by the way he was talking when TB took over as Chairman? Not "it's great to have the stadium paid for", but "it's good to have the Club back in the hands of the family".

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Name dropping again, you'll be tried on that.

Perhaps he doesn't trust others to look after the good ship Albion? Perhaps he feels more comfortable with the club being owned by Albion fans and those he can trust? Who could blame him? He's worked with some colourful characters with no real link to the club.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is very petty. Of course there will be different views about some aspects of the story. For example (and I speak as someone who was present at the meeting about the Supporters' Bar that features on page 340 of the book), I can well understand how DK's version of that episode might differ from Martin Perry's. But this (and, I dare say, other different nuances that appear in the story) is trivial stuff, more than counterbalanced by DK's praise of Martin ("my trusty lieutenant") that runs through most of the book.

The Club should be as proud as Dick is of what EVERYONE did between 1995 and 2011 - Dick, Martin, the other directors, the Bloom family, the fans, the professionals who steered us through that incredibly difficult planning process, everyone - and should have no qualms about distributing one man's version of the story.

I agree, and I say that as someone who did not/does not agree with much of the DK crew on one of the other threads.

This is an important book, one historical account of a vital period for the club, that is of huge interest to Brighton fans. Brighton fans gather, about 30,000 of them, every two weeks somewhere where there is a shop. That shop should stock this book.

They should stock it even if they don't make a huge profit on it, and even if it ruffles the odd feather. They should stock it because not stocking it is an insult to the fans.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So a former owner of a business writes a book about the business in which he criticises certain elements of the new ownership, and then the new owners decide they don't want to sell these books to their customer base. What a surprise.

Seriously what did you expect them to do?

'Business' .. 'Ownership' .. 'Customer base' -you've been fully 'Barber-ed, haven't you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports