Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's book officially not stocked at the club shop.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We all have short memories don't we ? Dick stepped up to the plate in 1997 when Archer and Belotti were running the club into the ground. He pumped in millions of his own cash just to get us through this and we stayed in the league at Hereford. If that had not happened it is very likely this club would have been the football league's biggest ever casualty. He got us Gillingham and fought to get us Withdean against strong opposition.

He fought tirelessly for a decade to deliver Falmer, endured 3 public enquiries, never giving up and having the strength and will to see it through at the age of 65 plus and had more energy and fight than most Men half his age. He was the figurehead during the unglamourous Withdean years and of course he did all the publicity stuff as our sitatution had to be told to a football public who were probably ignorant of the facts. This turning the screw on LDC and all the opponents is down to Dick and he could have walked during many times.

I am sure he must have felt like it at times but he did not and we got the permission for Falmer eventually. Bloom come in with the cash so without him we would not be sat in the Amex Stadium but it is down to Dick we are there at all. So for me the fact the Directors have effectively banned his book as it may ruffle a few feathers is a bloody disgrace and smacks of lack of free speech.

Whoever is responsible for this can hang their head in shame. Of course it will impact on sales as hundreds maybe thousands of books may have been sold through this outlet. Dick can rightly be very pissed off and the lack of respect shown to him is shocking and very sad imo.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Just got a copy for my birthday. Can't wait to read it. I mean as long as there wasn't anything slanderous in the book, I can't imagine why BHAFC would not sell their Life Chairman's book??
Make the club look like they have something to hide.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It all sounds terribly petty and small minded.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We all have short memories don't we ? Dick stepped up to the plate in 1997 when Archer and Belotti were running the club into the ground. He pumped in millions of his own cash just to get us through this and we stayed in the league at Hereford. If that had not happened it is very likely this club would have been the football league's biggest ever casualty. He got us Gillingham and fought to get us Withdean against strong opposition.

He fought tirelessly for a decade to deliver Falmer, endured 3 public enquiries, never giving up and having the strength and will to see it through at the age of 65 plus and had more energy and fight than most Men half his age. He was the figurehead during the unglamourous Withdean years and of course he did all the publicity stuff as our sitatution had to be told to a football public who were probably ignorant of the facts. This turning the screw on LDC and all the opponents is down to Dick and he could have walked during many times.

I am sure he must have felt like it at times but he did not and we got the permission for Falmer eventually. Bloom come in with the cash so without him we would not be sat in the Amex Stadium but it is down to Dick we are there at all. So for me the fact the Directors have effectively banned his book as it may ruffle a few feathers is a bloody disgrace and smacks of lack of free speech.

Whoever is responsible for this can hang their head in shame. Of course it will impact on sales as hundreds maybe thousands of books may have been sold through this outlet. Dick can rightly be very pissed off and the lack of respect shown to him is shocking and very sad imo.

Melodramatic bollocks as usual.

They haven't banned the book, and they can not, and very obviously are not, infringing his right to 'free speech'. They are just not selling the thing in their shop. Nothing more, nothing less.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Melodramatic bollocks as usual.

They haven't banned the book, and they can not, and very obviously are not, infringing his right to 'free speech'. They are just not selling the thing in their shop. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gee thanks. :rolleyes: It is pretty much the same thing an intelligent man like you can see that surely ? Maybe not.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I can't see why the club want to keep the controversy alive by refusing to stock the book. If they had just quietly taken delivery of a few hundred copies and put them on sale in the shops*, there would be no story for Charlie Sale's Daily Mail column, and no further debate on here.

They would also take the moral high ground by being seen to rise above a few petty squabbles and disagreements - not to mention making a profit on the sales. But maybe a few thousand pounds is seen as neither here nor there to a club losing millions.

* And before anyone accuses me of having a vested interest, I'm not on a royalty.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can't see why the club want to keep the controversy alive by refusing to stock the book. If they had just quietly taken delivery of a few hundred copies and put them on sale in the shops*, there would be no story for Charlie Sale's Daily Mail column, and no further debate on here.

They would also take the moral high ground by being seen to rise above a few petty squabbles and disagreements - not to mention making a profit on the sales. But maybe a few thousand pounds is seen as neither here nor there to a club losing millions.

* And before anyone accuses me of having a vested interest, I'm not on a royalty.

We don't know yet if they are going to veto the share sale. If they intend to not allow it, that would be a very real reason not to stock the books / application forms.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex

I have to agree with this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gee thanks. :rolleyes: It is pretty much the same thing an intelligent man like you can see that surely ? Maybe not.

It's very, very clearly NOT 'the same thing'.

If they had put their lawyers onto him to try to stop him releasing the book, or to to request changes to its content, then that would be getting into free speech territory. Choosing not to sell the book is absolutely nothing of the sort. Ridiculous.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We don't know yet if they are going to veto the share sale. If they intend to not allow it, that would be a very real reason not to stock the books / application forms.

It's not technically an application form. And in any case, the explanation for not stocking it in the Charlie Sale piece was that Ray Bloom and Martin Perry disagree with Dick's version of some things.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not technically an application form. And in any case, the explanation for not stocking it in the Charlie Sale piece was that Ray Bloom and Martin Perry disagree with Dick's version of some things.

Doesn't mean that there was no other reason, though, I'd guess. Even the above seems fair enough to me. If the directors of the club don't like the content why would anyone think that they would want to stock it?

Like you've said though - they've done him a favour. He's getting reams of publicity out of the club's stance, and more people will want to read it as a result.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If anyone has a short memory it is DK. It wasn't that many years ago that he needed someone to pay for a small football stadium. He didn't need to alienate the club over the pseudo share offering but chose to, either out of spite or, more likely, the need to drum up a bit of publicity for a book only likely to sell 10-15k copies at most!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's very, very clearly NOT 'the same thing'.

If they had put their lawyers onto him to try to stop him releasing the book, or to to request changes to its content, then that would be getting into free speech territory. Choosing not to sell the book is absolutely nothing of the sort. Ridiculous.

We will have to disagree, again.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

This being the full outweighing reason for not stocking the book.

Why would the club promote something that is against the agreement of shareholders. Maybe if the share sale is approved and no other shareholders buy Dicks shares - then the club may stock the book - but since it isnt happening at present, its fair enough.

Dick is starting to sound like a broken record though, just because he saved our club first - it doesnt mean he can act however he likes. Likewise, the club not clarifying these issues isnt helping anything, but then if the club makes a statement it isnt selling - then it may as well make a statement about sex toys - as they dont sell them either.

Oh, and are people REALLY taking the Daily Fail as gospel for these things ? This is the paper after all that claim everything gives you cancer.

This is nothing but free PR for Dick though, being an ad man he knew all this would drive up sales - unfortunately the club are letting him get away with it to a certain extent.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Unfortunately for many it all boils down to money - TB put x million more into the club than DK did etc etc

The years and years of hard work put in by DK, and others, often seems to be forgotten or minimised in its importance.

I really cannot understand the clubs reluctance to stock a book which records such an important part of its history - it doesn't make commercial nor PR sense ???

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This being the full outweighing reason for not stocking the book.

Why would the club promote something that is against the agreement of shareholders. Maybe if the share sale is approved and no other shareholders buy Dicks shares - then the club may stock the book - but since it isnt happening at present, its fair enough.

Dick is starting to sound like a broken record though, just because he saved our club first - it doesnt mean he can act however he likes. Likewise, the club not clarifying these issues isnt helping anything, but then if the club makes a statement it isnt selling - then it may as well make a statement about sex toys - as they dont sell them either.

Oh, and are people REALLY taking the Daily Fail as gospel for these things ? This is the paper after all that claim everything gives you cancer.

This is nothing but free PR for Dick though, being an ad man he knew all this would drive up sales - unfortunately the club are letting him get away with it to a certain extent.

If the share thing is the reason, why not say so? While I have nothing but contempt for the Fail, Charlie Sale is widely regarded in the sports writing world as the best news columnist, so if he's saying that RB and MP have objected, then he'll have got that from a good source..

albionite

May 20, 2009
This thread can't be official. No asterisk in the title and no mention of who the referee is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

This.

D

Deleted member 2719

Unfortunately for many it all boils down to money - TB put x million more into the club than DK did etc etc

The years and years of hard work put in by DK, and others, often seems to be forgotten or minimised in its importance.

I really cannot understand the clubs reluctance to stock a book which records such an important part of its history - it doesn't make commercial nor PR sense ???

It doesn't all boil down to who has put more money in the pot for me, i just prefer the stealth attitude of Blooms and Garcia's of this world rather than the i am so important attitude of Knight and Poyet.

I won't be buying Dicks book..............but if the stealth Bloomer writes a book i will be the first in the queue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here