Dick's book officially not stocked at the club shop.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel that Dick should have consulted the board re offering his shares to the public, and he seems to have alienated some with his questionable recollection of events. It's not surprising the club have opted not to stock the book. It's no big deal - you can order it online in less than a minute.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It doesn't all boil down to who has put more money in the pot for me, i just prefer the stealth attitude of Blooms and Garcia's of this world rather than the i am so important attitude of Knight and Poyet.

I won't be buying Dicks book..............but if the stealth Bloomer writes a book i will be the first in the queue.

Of course if DK wasn't a publicist and a clever 'user', (possibly manipulator?), of the media then firstly he wouldn't have had the financial means to step in when he did nor have had the ability to carry out much of the work he did in saving the club.

It seems a bit disingenuous to now criticise the man for having the very qualities which were key in rescuing the club!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So a former owner of a business writes a book about the business in which he criticises certain elements of the new ownership, and then the new owners decide they don't want to sell these books to their customer base. What a surprise.

Seriously what did you expect them to do?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So a former owner of a business writes a book about the business in which he criticises certain elements of the new ownership, and then the new owners decide they don't want to sell these books to their customer base. What a surprise.

Isn't the point of the whole share business that DK wasn't the owner? He didn't have a majority shareholding.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Of course they won't sell it. They are fascists. The Albion club shop under POL Barber is like North Korea. North Korean fascist nazi stock policy.

Oh the drama.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
You can buy Alex Ferguson's book from the Man United shop.

You should be able to buy Dick's from the Brighton shop.

Petty from the club IMO.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I recall someone from the Albion coming on here to explain that they are not stocking it because they were not asked to. All the usual drama queens have jumped all over this and squealed. Pathetic.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I recall someone from the Albion coming on here to explain that they are not stocking it because they were not asked to. All the usual drama queens have jumped all over this and squealed. Pathetic.

That was true before publication, but the publishers approached the club once they had read it.

From today's Daily Fail: "Brighton directors have decreed that the club will not sell life president Dick Knight’s book Mad Man because of alleged inaccuracies. Two board members, Martin Perry and Ray Bloom, are understood to disagree with former chairman Knight’s take on various issues during his 10-year struggle to build a new ground."

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Personally I feel the club take the high ground here and stock the book. For me Dick does let himself down at the end with a slightly sour finish to the book. However I find his frustration and disappointment at how things ultimately worked perfectly understandable. I can however see why the club may take issue with some of it though.

For me this is not a one side or other argument, Dick is legend that saved the club, he devoted 12 years and a lot of his own money to keep us going. Ultimately circumstances dictated that he couldn't se it through and Tony did deliver the stadium and quite correctly took hold of the reins.

I hope this 'spat' blows over quickly, I'm a huge fan of both parties.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You can buy Alex Ferguson's book from the Man United shop.

You should be able to buy Dick's from the Brighton shop.

Petty from the club IMO.

Refresh my memory because as far as I'm aware, (and I admit not having read the book) doesn't Ferguson criticize the Glasers in his book or in comments promoting the book?

Having read the book now, I didn't really feel as though DK criticised anyone involved with the club. He had a few words about being disappointed with Martin Perry towards the end of his time and that he felt let down, but it was hardly calling him a **** and wishing ill upon him. Barber is barely mentioned, and even Tony Bloom (who most people seem to think is at loggerheads with DK) is given a decent enough review. Frankly, if there is anyone in the Albion boardroom who is upset by anything DK has said they need to grow a thicker skin.

I don't think it makes a huge difference to sales, as what DK loses at the Amex he will probably make up in extra purchases on the back of this publicity, but my overriding feeling is that the club is incredibly petty and disrespectful.

Isn't the issue to do with the shares and also his recollection of some events is different to others, eg Bloom Snr and Chapman?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Where's the criticisms?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports