Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Bar ... What IS going on????

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dick's Bar needs a refurb to make it look like a 'Spoons.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've always been a bit puzzled by Dick's Bar. I can't really work out who the target customer is, based on its bland corporate decor, small size and upstairs-office location. I've had the odd post-match pint in there but it never feels like a place you'd want to linger.

It's no big issue for me as I'd be unlikely to visit any bar of that type more than once or twice a season anyway, as I usually have kids in tow.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are there any strippers in dicks bar...or is it a bit tame?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I've always been a bit puzzled by Dick's Bar. I can't really work out who the target customer is, based on its bland corporate decor, small size and upstairs-office location. I've had the odd post-match pint in there but it never feels like a place you'd want to linger.

It's no big issue for me as I'd be unlikely to visit any bar of that type more than once or twice a season anyway, as I usually have kids in tow.
Agree to be honest its crap, why people queue up to get in is beyond me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ah, loads more complaints about Dick's Bar.
Well, when the stadium was being built at one time we were told 'You don't need a supporters' bar - you've got the concourses'. (This was at the same time as we were told 'Football fans don't drink real ale, John!') We dug our heels in and got the bar and the beer. To be blunt, it was Hobson's choice: 'this is the space available'. I agree it's not exactly the Jolly Roger in St Pauli (which isn't actually in the ground!) but I don't think it's that bad. I have been in many other clubs' bars in my time and I don't recollect any that were any better. Orient, say: lovely beer, frankly an overcrowded concourse, I prefer Dick's. But of course it needs improvement. When the adjacent museum opens (will be soon) the place will have a slightly different feel about it. I'd like to see changes too, but that means people actually making suggestions and being prepared to get involved. I know a lot of people enjoyed the post match bands: I made about 3 appeals on here for people to come in and make suggestions/ help book bands/help with logistics/run PA etc but frankly got no response worth mentioning and I am simply too busy with my own gigs to put stuff on at the Amex more than once or twice a year. If anyone has any positive suggestions as to how the atmosphere could be improved, let's discuss them here and if they get a positive response, let the person/people who come up with them email Paul Barber and I am sure we can get changes made. But it does mean people making positive suggestions and, if necessary, being prepared to get involved to help implement them.

Seems to me (might already be in hand, who knows) that Dick's Bar could do with being relocated lock stock and - most importantly - barrels to where the East Stand Brasserie was. That was a proper size to avoid anyone ever having to queue to get in (assuming they manage to install multiple serving points so don't have to do the one-out-one-in thing). ESB had huge numbers of tables and seats, proper glass glasses, wider choice of beers etc. etc. Dick's as it currently stands is always cramped, nowhere to sit, too many bar staff endlessly criss-crossing in a random fashion, and no real way of getting served without accidentally queue jumping in front of somebody who's been waiting there longer. Staff do try their best but it's all a bit shambolic really. Could be so much better.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Agree to be honest its crap, why people queue up to get in is beyond me.

Ditto, went in it after a game recently and it was truly dreadful, decamped to WSL after a very quick pint

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Have been in there a few times before a match when I have arrived early. Only reason for that is if I'm lucky I can sit down and drink a pint. Apart from seats there is nothing to recommend it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd have it looking less like an airport lounge, and more like a pub - take out all the brushed aluminium and angular lines, a decent wooden bar, shedloads of Brighton memorabilia (i'm sure there would be a queue of people willing to donate shirts, programmes etc), and just make it COMFORTABLE!!! It's so depressing going in there - it feels like an office has been cleared out for a staff party. A few comfy sofa's, couple of big tellys. Or, have a word with the chaps at The Craft Beer Co - although how they keep those coppertop tables that shiny in there I will genuinely never ever know!!!!!
BRASSO. Got copper tables in my pub.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seems to me (might already be in hand, who knows) that Dick's Bar could do with being relocated lock stock and - most importantly - barrels to where the East Stand Brasserie was. That was a proper size to avoid anyone ever having to queue to get in (assuming they manage to install multiple serving points so don't have to do the one-out-one-in thing). ESB had huge numbers of tables and seats, proper glass glasses, wider choice of beers etc. etc. Dick's as it currently stands is always cramped, nowhere to sit, too many bar staff endlessly criss-crossing in a random fashion, and no real way of getting served without accidentally queue jumping in front of somebody who's been waiting there longer. Staff do try their best but it's all a bit shambolic really. Could be so much better.

It will be linked to the museum in a month or two where people will want to visit. I believe it is opening before Christmas.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
BRASSO. Got copper tables in my pub.

Nope, having had copper tables in my pub back in the day, Brasso does a job sure, but these bad boys make you require sunglasses. It's like staring at the bloody sun walking in there sometimes!!!

Maybe I was just lazy!!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Saw the museum signs already up on the wall by Dicks @ last home game. Looking forward to museum already :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see what the first moan on here about the museum is :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I've only used Dicks post-match a few times at this time of year because it's WARM. Went once on a weekday lunchtime and had a fairly mediocre meal but was truly amazed at the number of admin staff in the place.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
barely a positive comment about it. Pretty impressive downfall after the initial fanfare.

I've been in there a few times but nightmare getting served and just feels sterile. Best thing about it is the toilets which are almost luxurious if sending a friend out to sea.

Museum be good but unfortunately cant see that having longevity either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here