Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Bar ... What IS going on????

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Oh well, we could return to Withdean or Gillingham. What a rotten board of directors we have. Done nothing for us fans. Incredible.

With respect, that kind of stock function key response to a totally legitimate point being made on this thread is now the single most boring thing anyone can ever mention on NSC. More boring than Gus Poyet's future management career, Crystal Palace's attendances, anything.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Dicks bar is the single most disappointing development at the Amex. Why would anyone go there even on a match day? Completely devoid of atmosphere or character. It feels like an office overspill area that someone stuck a bar in. Such a missed opportunity and all it needed was a bit of considered decoration and fittings to make it a completely different experience.

Agreed - it's like a Travelodge reception (or worse). Why is it so bland? As his lordship says, it needs to be a bit more down and dirty. Very sterile and dull at the moment.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I have not been into Dicks Bar, but there always is a queue to go in before and after a match, what is the attraction for some fans?

I don't go in there often (9 times out of 10 I have the boy with me), but when i do it's to have a few beers with friends who are located in another stand before the game. I'm sure a lot of people only go in for this reason..

Oh and possibly to have a few beers, then a cigarette break before going into the concourse.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
The club are losing a lot of beer revenue at the moment, especially with the winter weather now with us. Dicks is far too small, you can't take kids in and many supporters cannot be bothered to queue in the cold or rain. Concourses are not the nicest of places to hâve a pint in the cold (nothing you can do about that). It will be interesting to see what the club do with what was the East Stand Brasserie area (an update request has been posted by somebody on 'ask the club'). Whatever transpires I hope it is made big enough to satisfy demand because the demand is certainly there. At this moment in time too many punters are seeking alternative watering holes away from the ground which is a shame and a loss of revenue for the club.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Agreed - it's like a Travelodge reception (or worse). Why is it so bland? As his lordship says, it needs to be a bit more down and dirty. Very sterile and dull at the moment.
Ah, loads more complaints about Dick's Bar.
Well, when the stadium was being built at one time we were told 'You don't need a supporters' bar - you've got the concourses'. (This was at the same time as we were told 'Football fans don't drink real ale, John!') We dug our heels in and got the bar and the beer. To be blunt, it was Hobson's choice: 'this is the space available'. I agree it's not exactly the Jolly Roger in St Pauli (which isn't actually in the ground!) but I don't think it's that bad. I have been in many other clubs' bars in my time and I don't recollect any that were any better. Orient, say: lovely beer, frankly an overcrowded concourse, I prefer Dick's. But of course it needs improvement. When the adjacent museum opens (will be soon) the place will have a slightly different feel about it. I'd like to see changes too, but that means people actually making suggestions and being prepared to get involved. I know a lot of people enjoyed the post match bands: I made about 3 appeals on here for people to come in and make suggestions/ help book bands/help with logistics/run PA etc but frankly got no response worth mentioning and I am simply too busy with my own gigs to put stuff on at the Amex more than once or twice a year. If anyone has any positive suggestions as to how the atmosphere could be improved, let's discuss them here and if they get a positive response, let the person/people who come up with them email Paul Barber and I am sure we can get changes made. But it does mean people making positive suggestions and, if necessary, being prepared to get involved to help implement them.

ah, loads more complaints about dick's bar.
Well, when the stadium was being built at one time we were told 'you don't need a supporters' bar - you've got the concourses'. (this was at the same time as we were told 'football fans don't drink real ale, john!') we dug our heels in and got the bar and the beer. To be blunt, it was hobson's choice: 'this is the space available'. I agree it's not exactly the jolly roger in st pauli (which isn't actually in the ground!) but i don't think it's that bad. I have been in many other clubs' bars in my time and i don't recollect any that were any better. Orient, say: Lovely beer, frankly an overcrowded concourse, i prefer dick's. But of course it needs improvement. When the adjacent museum opens (will be soon) the place will have a slightly different feel about it. I'd like to see changes too, but that means people actually making suggestions and being prepared to get involved. I know a lot of people enjoyed the post match bands: I made about 3 appeals on here for people to come in and make suggestions/ help book bands/help with logistics/run pa etc but frankly got no response worth mentioning and i am simply too busy with my own gigs to put stuff on at the amex more than once or twice a year. If anyone has any positive suggestions as to how the atmosphere could be improved, let's discuss them here and if they get a positive response, let the person/people who come up with them email paul barber and i am sure we can get changes made. But it does mean people making positive suggestions and, if necessary, being prepared to get involved to help implement them.

big screen,bangers and mash and four times the size!

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
I like Dicks bar once I am inside. It is simply too small to satisfy demand. I hope the new East Stand bar will help rectify this issue.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What would you suggest to improve it?

I appreciate space is limited, but if the tables and chairs were better designed oblong ones around the perimiter, maybe even with bench-style seats either side, then a LOT more people could sit down at a table. The current spaced-out low round coffee tables with 2 or 3 armchairs, or the high tables with a couple of tall chairs is all well and good when there's only a handful of punters during the week, but is totally inadequate when its packed to the rafters on a matchday.

More shelving is needed as well for somewhere to rest your pie/pint (this is also the case on the concourses).

And I know Gus didn't like them, but now that he's gone, a ceiling would be nice. I mean the air conditioning pipes are nice and shiny and all, but do we really need to see them ?

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
After finishing at the Brighton University, on Wednesdays earlier this year, I have had no complants about Dicks Bar. Always good friendly service, and enough options to keep a little fat lad happy.

Likewise I have also visited in the odd midweek random time, and again found no issues with the variety of what was on sale or the customer service.

However, the students can get 20% discount on all purchases in the bar, providing they have their NUS/Registration at the point of purchase, and we get no discount at all now, which I think is a little short sighted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Turn it into a real supporters' den, something a bit more down and dirty.

Like the Gillingham bordello? I have to confess I quite liked the ambience in there, it was much bigger than Dick's bar though. Dick's bar is a like a downmarket canteen, hate it.

Last edited:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'd have it looking less like an airport lounge, and more like a pub - take out all the brushed aluminium and angular lines, a decent wooden bar, shedloads of Brighton memorabilia (i'm sure there would be a queue of people willing to donate shirts, programmes etc), and just make it COMFORTABLE!!! It's so depressing going in there - it feels like an office has been cleared out for a staff party. A few comfy sofa's, couple of big tellys. Or, have a word with the chaps at The Craft Beer Co - although how they keep those coppertop tables that shiny in there I will genuinely never ever know!!!!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd have it looking less like an airport lounge, and more like a pub - take out all the brushed aluminium and angular lines, a decent wooden bar, shedloads of Brighton memorabilia (i'm sure there would be a queue of people willing to donate shirts, programmes etc), and just make it COMFORTABLE!!! It's so depressing going in there - it feels like an office has been cleared out for a staff party. A few comfy sofa's, couple of big tellys. Or, have a word with the chaps at The Craft Beer Co - although how they keep those coppertop tables that shiny in there I will genuinely never ever know!!!!!

All of this. Feels like you're walking into Conference Room B.

Dicks Bar

Just for balance, I have had a meeting this morning in Dicks Bar, it was fully staffed (at least 3), very efficient, clean and warm.

The Coffee was excellent.

One useless bit of Info, there are men on the roof of the stadium jetwashing the seagull poo off.

Just for balance, I have had a meeting this morning in Dicks Bar, it was fully staffed (at least 3), very efficient, clean and warm.

The Coffee was excellent.

One useless bit of Info, there are men on the roof of the stadium jetwashing the seagull poo off.
Seagull poo? We were promised bat poo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here