Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Bar ... What IS going on????

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought it was also the staff 'canteen' with quite a few working at the Amex. Last time I was there on a non match day, Derek Chapman was also lunching.

Incidentally, is the East Stand still hosting the college kids? Apparently they served up to 100 during term time weekdays, with some very reasonably priced meals.

Think that has been stopped...the parents in law used to go and get a decent meal regularly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why no hot pies or hot food modern micros/convection ovens take about 4 mins to cook pastry from frozen in about 6 mins so could be cooked /reheated on request. We left our last pub 10 years ago and even then had the meat filling pre cooked and frozen and the pastry made and frozen so my wife could produce a home made pie freshly cooked in less than 7 minutes with either chips or mash as required. Before anybody suggests otherwise they were our most popular dishes and we sold loads.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Why no hot pies or hot food modern micros/convection ovens take about 4 mins to cook pastry from frozen in about 6 mins so could be cooked /reheated on request. We left our last pub 10 years ago and even then had the meat filling pre cooked and frozen and the pastry made and frozen so my wife could produce a home made pie freshly cooked in less than 7 minutes with either chips or mash as required. Before anybody suggests otherwise they were our most popular dishes and we sold loads.
There was hot food last Friday. Fish and Chips, soup and rolls, hot paninis etc. a reasonable range for a lunch. Plus a range of cakes. Also Harvey's was on sale draught not just bottled beer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Getting up bright and early, and feeling positive after a really good result on Saturday, l thought l'd buy a copy of the Argus and mosey on down to Dick's to read the footy reports, and enjoy lunch.

What a mistake. Arriving there just before midday l found the establishment closely resembling the Marie Celeste. aka totally empty. After standing at the bar for a few minutes and shouting HELLO! HELLO! a couple of times, finally a rather bored, tired looking woman emerged from a door at the rear. Upon asking her for a chicken and ham pie, her response was, nahhh don't do pies no more, what about a hot dog? l enquired, no she replied, aint got none. Do you have anything hot l asked. We might have some stew comin out later she said. All they ended up being able to serve me straight away was a choice of two sorry looking baguettes, one tuna & cucumber, one egg mayo.

I was then asked if l wanted it served on a plate. Is there any other way of serving food I thought? The baguette, (on a plate) was brought to my table nearly 20 minutes later. Why it took so long to take it out of it's cellophane wrapper and transfer it to a plate the devil alone knows.

What a pathetic way to run a business. I appreciate that the Amex is in the middle of nowhere, (the university aside, who l'm sure have a number of their own food outlets anyway), and unless there is some sort of conference in house, that there is a very limited number of people wishing to lunch there. So that being the case, if they aren't going to run the establishment properly, and offer good service, they might as well open on match days only.

I for one certainly won't be returning.

Why not take the positives and positively RELISH the lack of queues and random service. Oh. sorry, have read it properly now. you got random service. Nevermind. Onwards and upwards. Why not take the positives and positively RELISH the lack of queues.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Pie/fish and chips plus pint of lager/cider/bitter for £5.00 in the massive restaurant at Wigan behind the away end Saturday. Waitress service

Not that it was a supporters bar, but just shows how we are being ripped off at The Amex

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Pie/fish and chips plus pint of lager/cider/bitter for £5.00 in the massive restaurant at Wigan behind the away end Saturday. Waitress service

Not that it was a supporters bar, but just shows how we are being ripped off at The Amex

Err, where's the rip off?

If you don't like the price then you don't have to buy; or hadn't you worked that one out?

Getting up bright and early, and feeling positive after a really good result on Saturday, l thought l'd buy a copy of the Argus and mosey on down to Dick's to read the footy reports, and enjoy lunch.

What a mistake. Arriving there just before midday l found the establishment closely resembling the Marie Celeste. aka totally empty. After standing at the bar for a few minutes and shouting HELLO! HELLO! a couple of times, finally a rather bored, tired looking woman emerged from a door at the rear. Upon asking her for a chicken and ham pie, her response was, nahhh don't do pies no more, what about a hot dog? l enquired, no she replied, aint got none. Do you have anything hot l asked. We might have some stew comin out later she said. All they ended up being able to serve me straight away was a choice of two sorry looking baguettes, one tuna & cucumber, one egg mayo.

I was then asked if l wanted it served on a plate. Is there any other way of serving food I thought? The baguette, (on a plate) was brought to my table nearly 20 minutes later. Why it took so long to take it out of it's cellophane wrapper and transfer it to a plate the devil alone knows.

What a pathetic way to run a business. I appreciate that the Amex is in the middle of nowhere, (the university aside, who l'm sure have a number of their own food outlets anyway), and unless there is some sort of conference in house, that there is a very limited number of people wishing to lunch there. So that being the case, if they aren't going to run the establishment properly, and offer good service, they might as well open on match days only.

I for one certainly won't be returning.

Who says customer service is dead :smile:

The most amazing part of your tale is that you consider going from Cowfold to the Amex as a "mosey on down" as if it's at the bottom of your street. I didn't know the Bar was open on non match days and TBH seems a waste of money employing someone to keep it open.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with the OP. Either do it well or don't do it at all.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's wierd sometimes how much scrutiny tiny elements of the club come under.

Take away the name of the club and imagine starting a thread because you got poor service in an empty cafe in town buying a 3 quid sandwich. Once you do that e-mailing the MD of the company might seem a bit like wasting his time.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Dicks bar is the single most disappointing development at the Amex. Why would anyone go there even on a match day? Completely devoid of atmosphere or character. It feels like an office overspill area that someone stuck a bar in. Such a missed opportunity and all it needed was a bit of considered decoration and fittings to make it a completely different experience.

This with bells on

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Dicks bar is the single most disappointing development at the Amex. Why would anyone go there even on a match day? Completely devoid of atmosphere or character. It feels like an office overspill area that someone stuck a bar in. Such a missed opportunity and all it needed was a bit of considered decoration and fittings to make it a completely different experience.

This.

Hopefully the revamped east stand bar will be a significant improvement.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Oh well, we could return to Withdean or Gillingham. What a rotten board of directors we have. Done nothing for us fans. Incredible.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I have not been into Dicks Bar, but there always is a queue to go in before and after a match, what is the attraction for some fans?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Only thing where Withdean still wins. Sportsman knocks spots off Dick's Bar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here