Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight....The Truth!!!!!

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Lord Bracknell said:
Mullers -

The stadium won't be owned by the football club's directors.

As i understand it, the club will be shareholders in the new ground. As owners of the shares in the club, surely they will indirectly own a share of the new ground?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Charlies Shinpad said:
You havent got a clue who my source is,and if you want to look at it all thru your rose tinted glasses,thats your choice.
In any organisation the directors etc don't always agree on what is the best course of action and you are correct I haven't got a clue who your source is (and I don't know why they're briefing against DK) I'm merely stating that the 'FACTS' in your original post are not 100% accurate.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Mullers said:
As i understand it, the club will be shareholders in the new ground. As owners of the shares in the club, surely they will indirectly own a share of the new ground?

Share being the relevant word. Brighton Council and the Universities have the others which mean an Archer and Bellotti will never happen again. If you are saying that DK is doing this so he can make a killing then who exactly is going to by shares in a club which do not whold the full 100% value of the ground?

glosterseagull

Oct 2, 2003
I think that most posts and rumours have agrain of truth. But it is how the facts are translated.

We are Brighton one big happy family with a plethora (must haveat least one posh word) different views.

To me its like a wife wanting to go off and talk to another husband - when she returns and says "persude me to stay!" Yer right!

:shootself

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
So why did DK say to SC"Reading are 4 years in front of us"(As ON Meridian TV a minute ago)
If he had wanted him to stay that much,he would have said
"In four years time Readings Ground will be a grave yard and ours a Heaving Mass Of Delirium",

Speaks volumes for Our Chairman doesnt it!!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If it came down to keeping Coppell or getting Falmer, I know which I'd choose.
3989294.t.jpg

I know Charlies Shinpad personally and I can verify that he is Albion through and through, has been for years, and is in no way whatsoever a wind-up merchant. All round top bloke in my opinion.

HOWEVER.....

Whoever has put across the above comments is being cynical in the extreme.

Even without going back to the 'he saved us in 97' arguement, it is plain for all to see that Dick Knight only has the best interests of our football club at heart. To suggest otherwise is madness.

DK and the board made no attempt to keep SC!!

Maybe they did, but perhaps the board knew that they were never going to compete with Reading financially and just hoped that Coppell would look a little further than pound signs.

DK offered SC a three year contract when he first approached him to become our manager last year.But SC said it would be better to see how it went to the end of the season and then take it from there.
So at the beginning of this season DK only offered SC a One year deal,when SC would have happily signed a 3 year deal!!

Let's be honest, are managers' contracts really worth the paper they're written on? I think not. Obviously if we went up this season then Knight would have offered an extension. Perhaps Knight was seeing how this season went. Why is it alright for a manger to 'see how it goes' but not a chairman?

If DK had said to Reading you cannot approach our Manager they would have gone to the next name on there list,and that was said in the Press Conference!!!

If Reading really wanted Coppell then they would have approached him regardless. And if Coppell really wanted to go then he would go.

SC did not want to leave The Albion,he is not money motivated,but he had no choice as DK was more interested in the Compensation money than the Manager!!!

Don't know the facts but I find that hard to believe.

DK made no attempt to keep Mickey,or Peter Taylor either!!

A la Coppell to Reading, we were never going to match Leicester's status and financial package. Adams is an ambitious bloke, who would really deny him a crack at the highest level?
With Taylor, Knight obviously thought he was asking for too much and didn't want to bankrupt the club in the name of First Division survival. We can only guess as to whether Knight was right or not.

All DK is interested in is getting his name up in lights for getting us Falmer!!
He doesnt give a shit about the playing side he is just obssessed in getting Falmer.

Personally, if Dick Knight brings us a new ground then he will be as big a hero in Albion history than anyone and will deserve all the adulation that goes with it. Ultimately Falmer is the holy grail and again, personally I would quite happily spend three years in Division 3 if it meant getting the ground.
To suggest that Knight "doesn't give a shit about the playing side" is unbelievable. And for anyone that mentions Zamora, he was always going to leave and I think most people are surprised that we held on to him for as long as we did.

Anyway, that's my say. Phew!

Jul 6, 2003
shoreham
i'll only pick out one point if sc did'nt want to leave why is he no longer here,and don't say it's down to the compensation dk stated in many interviews he did not want sc to leave

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
ON TV BY THE READING CHAIRMAN

QUOTE" IF BRIGHTON HAD TURNED OUR APPROACH DOWN WE WOULD HAVE GONE ELSEWHERE"

So why did DK let them talk to him??

Some people on here just cant see the woods for the trees!!

He wouldnt have resigned,he is a man of his word.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DK offered SC a three year contract when he first approached him to become our manager last year. But SC said it would be better to see how it went to the end of the season and then take it from there.

So at the beginning of this season DK only offered SC a One year deal, when SC would have happily signed a 3 year deal!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk about twisting facts, read the first part and then see how the second part contradicts it.

If SC said it would be better to see how it went to the end of the season, how does that mean he wanted a three year contract?

The first sentence said DK offered 3 years in the first place!

The problem with "inside information" is that it usually comes from just one source.

"Other points of view are available" - in fact I would guess that there are as many diverse opinions within the Club as there are on NSC.

The important questions are:-

1. How will we keep the spirit in this club?

2. How will we bounce back from losing Coppell?

3. How will we get back into Division One?

4. How will we get to Falmer?

Answer all four correctly and you can take over from Dick Knight.

Answer two of them correctly and you're probably capable of being team manager.

Claim that the answers are easy - and you're a hero on NSC. But no more.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Charlies Shinpad said:

FACT. DK and the board made no attempt to keep SC!!

FACT. DK offered SC a three year contract when he first approached him to become our manager last year.But SC said it would be better to see how it went to the end of the season and then take it from there.
So at the beginning of this season DK only offered SC a One year deal,when SC would have happily signed a 3 year deal!!

FACT. If DK had said to Reading you cannot approach our Manager they would have gone to the next name on there list,and that was said in the Press Conference!!!

FACT. SC did not want to leave The Albion,he is not money motivated,but he had no choice as DK was more interested in the Compensation money than the Manager!!!

FACT. DK made no attempt to keep Mickey,or Peter Taylor either!!

FACT. All DK is interested in is getting his name up in lights for getting us Falmer!!
He doesnt give a shit about the playing side he is just obssessed in getting Falmer.

FACT. Charlie's Shinpad is full of shit.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
1. Keep the drinks cabinet locked.

2. We've lost managers before and gone from strength to strength, so no worries.

3. Win the league.

4. Personally, I will probably go by train.

You did ask, LB.

When do I start?

I'd take Falmer over any player or manager end of story. Till we get a ground we'll never be a top club, too many people on here think that we have a God given right to be in Div 1 and have this and that player signed up for us. Most players and managers are gonna look at our set up as a joke until we have a proper ground.

Seagull Stew

For those who think that Dick Knight should not have allowed his managers to talk to other clubs. Have they ever considered that allowing someone the freedom to talk to other potential employers might have been a bargaining tool to get the manager to join in the first place?
Let's face it, the backbone of the club is still Bob Booker, Martin Hinshlewood and Dean Wilkins and as long as these three people remain in place we could give a different manager a crack at the job every month if we wanted to as long as he had contacts to get good loan signings in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here