Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight....The Truth!!!!!

I'm reassured by RLZ's post, but nevertheless concerned that there is a view within the Club that appears to be antagonistic towards the Chairman. This is probably the moment that we need Bob Booker's skills more than ever - it's essential that morale is kept high and that the legendary Albion team spirit remains intact - ready for the new manager when he arrives.

Charlies Shinpad said:
So why did DK say to SC"Reading are 4 years in front of us"(As ON Meridian TV a minute ago)
If he had wanted him to stay that much,he would have said
"In four years time Readings Ground will be a grave yard and ours a Heaving Mass Of Delirium",

Speaks volumes for Our Chairman doesnt it!!

Right there CS, you have just told me that your preference is to believe whatever you want to believe, and prefer a lying illusionist to an honest man.
DK could never make the statement "in four years time Reading this and Brighton that etc" above without talking out of his arse, because he doesn't know what will be happening in either situation. Try as hard as he might, Falmer is still a hope (although it makes sense it should go ahead, in reality) and cynicism towards Reading is a conjecture that could make him look foolish. We want to BECOME a 'Reading', we knock their acheivements because we are becoming their 'feeder' club it seems - and we'd prefer it the other way around .

Nope, I don't want to believe a lying loser prophet of jealous motivations, and I don't agree that the club should get into protracted and convoluted wranglings with the very managers we want working FOR us !!
Reputation means something in the small world of professional management, and our club retains an honest repute here - as was fitting for both Mickey Adams and Steve Coppell.
Let's keep honorable men at Brighton, and the Cheats and liars can go elsewhere thanks.

The last thing the club needs is a horde of irritated fans getting on the case of the very person who has got it this far.

It doesn't mean I'll put all my faith in any one man at Brighton and Hove Albion, but I don't believe this smear campaign at the start of this thread at all - not one bit.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I do not understand why fans expect a miracle from DK.

He cannot walk on water, getting to Falmer is a very lengthy progress to get everyone signed up to a major commitment.

What was the last huge investment in Brighton ?

The Marina (sold for £1 at one stage).

The City want assurances and deserve them, DK will get them then the sign-off will happen.

Patience everyone and please leave DK alone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One of the most interesting threads on here for a while. What's still not clear to me, is this source is within the club?

SiNZ

Oct 2, 2003
Just what position is this source holding within the club? Does he know that you then come on NSC and repeat all he says? Sounds like he is in breach of the confidentiality clause of his contract. Do we really want people whose agenda is different to that of the club in the club?

DK out? Don't be silly. DK might not be perfect, but I'd pick him over any other chairman. Only a NIMBY would want him out.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Re: Re: Dick Knight....The Truth!!!!!

Robert Lester Zamora said:

[/b]As I said earlier I totally believe this. I know your source and therefore believe it is highly likely that he was talking to SC tonight, particularly given his current situation.[/B]

As I am assuming that your source is a player, Charlie's Shinpad, I find this a bit worrying. What current situation?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Whenever there is a downturn in fortunes those with an axe to grind get an opportunity to be heard. Well stacked up against what I know and have heard it is not at all convincing. We just have to have a bit of faith and belief in people who are doing a very difficult job which I do not at all envy them.

To be in a position where we are months away from a decision on Falmer having made the best case we could, two championship trophies, and top of the league, which speaks volumes for all involved with the club. There are always things that can be done differently, and sometimes better, but that is life.

Go along on Saturday, have a couple of pints, enjoy the game, look around at your fellow supporters and Albion community, appreciate the legacy that some lucky manager is walking into.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
hear hear DKM ...imagine how u must feel if u were dk reading this thread.. Granted Falmer is taking time longer than everyone expected ,but brighton is a unique place that hasnt got endless amounts of brownfield industrial sites ,so the process will be slow ,granted we play in a shitebowl ,but it took a great deal of effort just to get us back there ..cant see us existing to be honest if we were still playing at Pissfield ..So all DK is asking is a lot of patience from us .not backbiting...At no time has he said its going to be easy and at no time did he say we would be champions of div3 and 2 and a bloody good chance of div 2 again...so why dont we rally behind him give some advice on who to be the next manager and enjoy the ride !!:clap:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Huh, if this source was Alan Pardew, then I for one am convinced that Alan Pardew has absolutely NO KNOWLEDGE WHATSOEVER of how Dick Knight and Martin Perry, Bob Pinnock and other board members discuss management and budgetary issues in their board meetings.

In fact, if the ' FACTS ' are second hand from Steve Coppell via Alan Pardew, doesn't it all sound just like sour grapes on Coppells part, because Dick Knight wouldn't come back and try to match Readings second improved pay offer.

We all know DK is not going to put the club into financial jeopardy, and will always stick to working within previously agreed budgets. We also know that there is / was very little money left for team strengthening as the Zamora money had already been factored in to the budgets before BZ left.

So where the hell was DK supposed to find this extra money to assuage Coppell ?

In actual fact, screwing Reading for as much money as possible is in the best interest of the club, especially if that money can now be added to the playing budget for the next incumbent.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
El Presidente said:
"he stands to make a killing on his shares, but is too tight to use his own money to finance it!"

You really have the financial acumen of a peanut

For christ sakes folks don't employ mullers as your management consultant

Dick Knight and Falmer.

1. Dick Knight is a major shareholder in the club; the value of this shareholding is directly proportionate to the value of the club, which in turn is proportionate to its ability to generate profits now and in the future.

2. Playing at Withdean with its high overheads and limited revenues, and without planning permission for a new ground, this value is severally restricted. This is exacerbated by the lack of investment in young talented players, which would be appreciating assets, and could be sold for profit at the appropriate times. (How much could we have made by buying Steve Sidwell?) The loss of our Div. 1 status was vital here as we have lost the opportunity to demonstrate our young players' abilities at that level. This, I believe, was where Steve Coppell's outstanding ability to find and develop young talent was of great value to the club.

3. When Falmer is built the value of the club will increase dramatically. Partly because it will reflect the part ownership of the new ground, but more importantly, the opportunity for the club to generate vastly increased revenues. These will be generated by increased gate receipts, catering (all or part dependent upon how the stadium operates) and increased sales of merchandise. Merchandise sales should increase in line with the general increase in "active" support because of the increased number of opportunities for people to watch matches, and other "hangers-on" who like to "support" "bigger and successful" clubs but rarely, if ever, actually watch matches. Membership of the Premiership would bring even greater revenues from TV money, sponsorship money, etc.

4. Planning permission for Falmer would enable Dick Knight to sell all or part of his stake in the club to an investor who wishes to take advantage of the investment opportunity represented by 3 above. It will also enable the directors to borrow money from commercial sources on the strength of these future revenues, and gain financially in the longer term when the profits generated by the new ground (as outlined in 3) materialise. It will also allow the directors and shareholders to invest more money in the club with limited risk, again with the expectancy of rewards in the medium and long term.

5. Of course, Dick Knight's strategy of spending any money that the club generates on Falmer is an extremely high-risk. If planning permission is not obtained, as appeared likely at some points in the summer, and is still by no means certain, the club will be left with nothing of great value, not even players!

6. Therefore, I believe that Dick Knight stands to make a disproportionate return on his limited investment if Falmer gets planning permission, well worth the risk of the relatively small investment he has made in the club. His risk is reduced by the use of the large fan base as a lobbying group in support of the proposed development. The benefit to us loyal fans will only be the opportunity to watch our beloved team in nice surrounding and hopefully at a higher level. For which I am sure we will be asked to pay as much as the club can get away with!

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've been avoiding this thread but i have to say all of that on the first post sounds like complete bollocks.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Are Mullers and Charlies Shinpad one and the same? What a pair of wankers, sprouting this horseshit.

I cannot believe the drivel, lies and inaccuracies in Mullers' latest post. It is so full of holes, I will leave others to pick it apart, (i am too busy at the moment) but I will start at the top with the first assertion made in point 1. Dick Knight is NOT the main shareholder in the club.

Over to you, heroic NSCers.

Last edited:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Sorry Mullers, what you say is all very well, but we live in a capitalist society, and not a communist one.

I've no problem with Dick Knight making money on the basis of his Albion shareholding, because, provided his business stategy works, it will mean this club is rich and successful, and hopefully financially stable in the long term.

If that isn't good news, then I don't know what is ?

If he fails to make money from the club, would you prefer him to lose it completely, or worse, take his original investment out and suffer a new Chairman and board ?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If Dick Knight makes money from his investment in the club then in my book he has earnt it, unlike a lot of the directors we have had in the past. Under his leadership we have:

1. Come back from the footballing wilderness that is Gillingham
2. Gone from bottom of the 3rd division and probable extinction to a season in the first - on the way the most prolific trophy-gathering session the club has ever seen with a crack at another one this season
3. Made realistic strides towards a brand new stadium - only Prescott stands in our way
4. Regained our pride - in the last few years the Albion shirt has become more and more common around town
5. Changed the club setup to the most transparent we have ever had (think back to when Bamber, Bedson and others were in charge)

And he has done all this without mortgaging the future of the club. OK, he has had made a few mistakes but they pale into insignificance compared to what he has achieved, either himself or by appointing the right people.

FFS get off his back and stop looking for a hidden agenda every time something goes wrong - or stump up a considerable amount of money and put it where your mouth is

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think Charlie's Shinpad would rather this thread slipped into oblivion rather than kept being bounced as it serves as a reminder that merely repeating what one individual has said does not make it a 'FACT'.

Like Lord Bracknell I'm concerned that there is some one (or perhaps more than one person) at the club who is so anti-Knight. People like Charlies Shinpad, Mullers and FG I can accept as being anti-Knight (although I struggle to understand why) as there will always be differences of opinion between the thousands of Albion fans and we will always have a lunatic fringe - but I'm a bit worried that some of the lunatics ARE trying to run the Asylum.

Up to a point, Mullers is right - a financially stable football club, with a large fan base and a superb new stadium that is properly funded, is an attractive investment opportunity, particularly if revenue is greater than running costs.

Where he is wrong is in his assertion that Dick Knight wants to achieve this mainly to increase his personal fortune or enhance his other business interests.

That was the agenda of Stanley and Archer. Dick Knight despises them in the same way that we all do. He has restructured the Club to prevent future asset stripping and taken the stadium application forward on that basis. He has fought off attempts by others to take over the Club for their own purposes.

He is an astute Chairman, doing a very difficult job, who is far more open with supporters than anyone else who has ever occupied that position.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Mullers said:
Dick Knight and Falmer.

2. Playing at Withdean with its high overheads and limited revenues, and without planning permission for a new ground, this value is severally restricted. This is exacerbated by the lack of investment in young talented players, which would be appreciating assets, and could be sold for profit at the appropriate times. (How much could we have made by buying Steve Sidwell?) The loss of our Div. 1 status was vital here as we have lost the opportunity to demonstrate our young players' abilities at that level. This, I believe, was where Steve Coppell's outstanding ability to find and develop young talent was of great value to the club.

4. Planning permission for Falmer would enable Dick Knight to sell all or part of his stake in the club to an investor who wishes to take advantage of the investment opportunity represented by 3 above. It will also enable the directors to borrow money from commercial sources on the strength of these future revenues, and gain financially in the longer term when the profits generated by the new ground (as outlined in 3) materialise. It will also allow the directors and shareholders to invest more money in the club with limited risk, again with the expectancy of rewards in the medium and long term.

5. Of course, Dick Knight's strategy of spending any money that the club generates on Falmer is an extremely high-risk. If planning permission is not obtained, as appeared likely at some points in the summer, and is still by no means certain, the club will be left with nothing of great value, not even players!

6. Therefore, I believe that Dick Knight stands to make a disproportionate return on his limited investment if Falmer gets planning permission, well worth the risk of the relatively small investment he has made in the club. His risk is reduced by the use of the large fan base as a lobbying group in support of the proposed development. The benefit to us loyal fans will only be the opportunity to watch our beloved team in nice surrounding and hopefully at a higher level. For which I am sure we will be asked to pay as much as the club can get away with!

Good grief....

It looks like we'll have to take you apart piece-meal Mullers..

I'll go with-
Sidwell; we wanted him, offered the same money to him and Arsenal (as Reading did) and he chose them...because they had a (immediate) brighter future (Stadium = money) etc..

You make it like we didn't even try to get him....and already you are looking to make a profit on him..!

Shares- isn't there a proposal scheme to allow the public to buy approx £500 of shares in assisting in funding Falmer- buy up and you can really have your say..

Why do you care if DK did sell his (non- majority) shares when Falmer comes - that his business, and damn happy we will be for getting us there in the first place..or will you be ...?
As you say, it's high risk- he could very well end up with nothing (and so could we) so i bloody hope he makes some money from it

Quote:
The benefit to us loyal fans will only be the opportunity to watch our beloved team in nice surrounding and hopefully at a higher level:

Sounds like you don't want the above to happen..?

Good, coz I can't wait, and i'd be well f***ed off to find you moaning/sitting next to me

Haven't seen you about for a while Mullers, but sure enough your myopic views get me every time..

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here