Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Desperate need of a goal scorer

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
That puzzles me how is that If a player cant use his left foot?

Make yourself a list of all the one footed players you can think of and then work out which foot they favour.

Then watch yourself watching a game. Those instinctive "shoot", "clear it", "cross it" urges are built on our experiences of watching predominantly right footed players and their chances of success in a given situation. We tend to praise right footers for being two footed, but rarely berate them for being one footed.

The additional skill often associated with left footed players also has some basis in logic. Defenders position themselves to force a player onto his weaker foot. Sometimes when they do this against a left footed player, they can make small errors in their positioning that a skilful player can exploit. An experienced right back can get enough practice against left footed opponents to correct any positional errors. A left back may be tested less frequently in this respect.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Listened to the game on Radio Sussex - didn't sound like we had any clear cut chances apart from the goal and the near own goal. Went out for a Halloween party with the kids. Came back and watched the highlights on Sky Sports' site with my son. It showed two chances for us, the goal and the near og. So, unless the radio and Sky are missing something (and I know it's always better to be there at the game) we had one clear cut chance and scored one goal? :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The above post is not to say that additional firepower wouldn't be nice. Who wouldn't want a 30 goal a season striker? But think back to the season under Oscar where we had Ashley Barnes as the lone striker or Obika leading the line because we had so many injuries and / or poor striking options. This season we have BZ on the bench!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The above post is not to say that additional firepower wouldn't be nice. Who wouldn't want a 30 goal a season striker? But think back to the season under Oscar where we had Ashley Barnes as the lone striker or Obika leading the line because we had so many injuries and / or poor striking options. This season we have BZ on the bench!

Yes, that certainly puts it all into perspective! What a difference! but it still begs the question -who is actually going to score at a respectable rate. Hughton praises Baldock's work-rate, Hemed's ability to hold up play and BZ's contribution as a super sub, and I would not presume to dispute any of that. But who is going to score?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Listened to the game on Radio Sussex - didn't sound like we had any clear cut chances apart from the goal and the near own goal. Went out for a Halloween party with the kids. Came back and watched the highlights on Sky Sports' site with my son. It showed two chances for us, the goal and the near og. So, unless the radio and Sky are missing something (and I know it's always better to be there at the game) we had one clear cut chance and scored one goal? :shrug:

Correct....we had two chances on target. We didn't create much, not sure we would have scored more even with a top goalscorer on the pitch.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We should have supplemented with Vydra as many said at the time. Would have been fantastic value

I thought he was going to cost us a small fortune JUST for a loan.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Liked Blackman today, lovely balance, pace, lovely dribbling skills, and quick feet, gave us trouble, although did not score.

Couldn't that almost describe Baldock in many games?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I thought he was going to cost us a small fortune JUST for a loan.

2.5m loan fee, plus whatever wages his Watford contract paid him, so probably a total of around 4m for the season. And yesterday was his first goal for Reading since he signed 2 months ago - a bargain.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
We already have a striker that has proved quite effective at finishing this season during his brief moments on the pitch. We seem to dominate and make chances early in games this season, but end up going in at half time at 0-0.

How about we start with supersub, and then sub him after half-time.

After all, the one time we did start with him, we went in at half time with 2 goals, both created by supersub

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Couldn't that almost describe Baldock in many games?
No - not sure if you were there, but cannot compare blackman with baldock. As much as baldock puts in a shift, (maybe not yesterday though) he is a different type of player.
Cannot compare blackmans quick feet, and skill to beat a player close to him. Strong, pacey, true skill, and balance. I know it is only game live to see blackman, but he always looked threatening when with the ball and creative. Imo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have Harper to come in when fit and its not like we aren't scoring goals[/QUOT

Harper has never played a senior game, it's all hype so far, because he was at Madrid. He may be great but there is absolutely no way of knowing if he can hack it in this league yet.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
2.5m loan fee, plus whatever wages his Watford contract paid him, so probably a total of around 4m for the season. And yesterday was his first goal for Reading since he signed 2 months ago - a bargain.

He would clearly have been expensive. I dont think anyone is doubting that. We need more goals though as the big spenders are all hitting form and closing in. He may or may not have been the answer (he has played 5 or so games) but we need someone. Lets see what TB does, i an sure we wilk have another at some point before seasons end. Earlier the better

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Chance after chance being created yet again!! So frustrating.

Clinical finisher in this side and we'd be at least 7-8 points clear now

This has been obvious all season but today was probably the game where it was least obvious and the strangest game to start a thread. We didn't have many chances this game. There are countless games where we've won and should have won more comfortably or drawn and should have won. Yesterday wasn't one of them as we didn't create that much. Agree with the principle, in fact you won't find many Albion fans who don't, but would question the timing of the thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here