Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Desperate need of a goal scorer

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He would clearly have been expensive. I dont think anyone is doubting that. We need more goals though as the big spenders are all hitting form and closing in. He may or may not have been the answer (he has played 5 or so games) but we need someone. Lets see what TB does, i an sure we wilk have another at some point before seasons end. Earlier the better

I don't think that £2.5 million plus wages for a loan is good value in any world. Especially, as someone else said, as it was his first goal for them yesterday. Imagine if he'd come here for that price and not scored until the end of October. There would have been so much moaning.

To put it into perspective, I read before the game that Reading have six players on loan currently so have the same issue we have last season. Hardly great when building for future seasons is it, especially as I don't think they'll make top two (given the other teams they're competing with like Derby, Middlesbrough, Burnley and Hull) so they either have to win the play offs or start again next season having lost a number of players.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
To be fair we had one clear chance today and scored not sure what people expect.

Aspinall seemed to think Baldock's volley was a clear cut chance that he should have tucked away.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Aspinall seemed to think Baldock's volley was a clear cut chance that he should have tucked away.

Yet not one of the almost 4000 Albion fans who travelled have mentioned it. Maybe a little harsh?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
This has been obvious all season but today was probably the game where it was least obvious and the strangest game to start a thread. We didn't have many chances this game. There are countless games where we've won and should have won more comfortably or drawn and should have won. Yesterday wasn't one of them as we didn't create that much. Agree with the principle, in fact you won't find many Albion fans who don't, but would question the timing of the thread.
Certainly true that the 4-3-3 didn't create as many chances as the previous games with 4-4-2. We certainly will pay for the games that we dropped points against lower placed teams (Bristol, PNE etc) and that will be the reason that we probably will not be top o the league in Wednesday morning - this game was a well earned point.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree that we need a goal poacher to put the loose balls in the 6yd box away but am struggljng with a name of one like Kevin Phillips was. David Nugent fitted the bill but went to Boro. What have the likes of WBA Everton Stoke got who are out of the picture. Or how about when the MLS season finishes Robbie Keane who will know CH well or Didier Drogba.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I agree that we need a goal poacher to put the loose balls in the 6yd box away but am struggljng with a name of one like Kevin Phillips was. David Nugent fitted the bill but went to Boro. What have the likes of WBA Everton Stoke go who are out of the picture.

That is exactly what BZ is, but when he comes on we are often not putting balls into the box - instead he is being asked to half the ball up in midfield as we clear defence, and Hemed is probably better at that job. Finishing in the box - now that is what BZ is class at!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Certainly true that the 4-3-3 didn't create as many chances as the previous games with 4-4-2. We certainly will pay for the games that we dropped points against lower placed teams (Bristol, PNE etc) and that will be the reason that we probably will not be top o the league in Wednesday morning - this game was a well earned point.
IErr we beat Bristol City or are you forgetting Zamoras winner?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yet not one of the almost 4000 Albion fans who travelled have mentioned it. Maybe a little harsh?

I didn't travel so don't know. Just saying what Aspinall said. Whether Aspinall is being harsh or not I have no idea. Just saying what was said on commentary.
Also, Aspinall was really singing the praises of Hemed and his contribution to the game, whereas I see those who attended don't seem to have picked him out for specific praise.
I have no opinion either way on the game as I only listened to radio commentary.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is exactly what BZ is, but when he comes on we are often not putting balls into the box - instead he is being asked to half the ball up in midfield as we clear defence, and Hemed is probably better at that job. Finishing in the box - now that is what BZ is class at!

I disagree about BZ I think he is doing the job he was signed for to hold up the ball for others not be a goal poacher and generally does it well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Below is the last five seasons of promoted teams (auto and play off) and the average PPG (first) and GPG (second). Brighton are currently averaging 2.14 PPG and 1.35 GPG. So on that form would get promoted with a GPG better than Hull (auto) in 12/13 and QPR (PO) in 13/14. Make of that what you will...

14/15

Bournemouth 1.96 2.13
Watford 1.93 1.98
Norwich 1.87 1.91

13/14

Leicester 2.22 1.8
Burnley 2.02 1.57
QPR 1.74 1.30

12/13

Cardiff 1.89 1.57
Hull 1.71 1.33
Palace 1.57 1.59

11/12

Reading 1.93 1.91
Southampton 1.91 1.85
West Ham 1.87 1.76

10/11

QPR 1.91 1.54
Norwich 1.83 1.80
Swansea 1.74 1.5

el punal

Chance after chance being created yet again!! So frustrating.

Clinical finisher in this side and we'd be at least 7-8 points clear now

I agree with you up to a point. In certain matches with a striker on fire our 1-0 or 2-1 wins might have become 2-0 and 3-1 victories. The fact is that we are top because of our overall team effort and in particular a strong defence. Look at the reverse side of your comment, we could easily have lost 7/8 points through sloppy defending. Yes, we all want the team to do better, score more goals and be more entertaining that's the prerogative of every football fan. In reality that's not always possible.

One thing is for sure, the fans of the rival teams below us would jump at the chance to be in our position, regardless of the fewer goals we've scored.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No - not sure if you were there, but cannot compare blackman with baldock. As much as baldock puts in a shift, (maybe not yesterday though) he is a different type of player.
Cannot compare blackmans quick feet, and skill to beat a player close to him. Strong, pacey, true skill, and balance. I know it is only game live to see blackman, but he always looked threatening when with the ball and creative. Imo.

No, I wasn't there, so thanks for what looks like an informed comment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here