David Burke OUT!!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Great post. People are having a go at Burke the man but from what I've seen he's doing a decent enough job when you consider what Tony Bloom has emplyed him for.

It might just be that the way it's structured causes him to tread on the manager's toes too much. I seem to remember seeing a company structure that put Burke, Barber and Oscar on the same level and answerable only to Tony Bloom. Perhaps that is causing problems and the DOF role should be a level below and answerable just to Barber.

At the end of the day we still need someone to orchestrate all the coaches, scouts, negotiate contracts etc

The only bone of contention is when we get to choosing transfer targets, perhaps that just needs to be tweaked rather than get rid of the role entirely.

Quite. If Burke is given a budget to work with and has limited movement beyond that without clearing it with Barber/ Bloom, pointing the finger at him for some of the transfer issues is plain daft.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Get this ****ing idiot out of my football club Bloom!

We've lost two perfectly good managers now and signed too many jokers because of this imbecile

BERK OUT!!!

I think it is much more Tony Blooms club than yours I'm afraid. Piper and tune?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Quite. If Burke is given a budget to work with and has limited movement beyond that without clearing it with Barber/ Bloom, pointing the finger at him for some of the transfer issues is plain daft.

Really, so the fact that Burke thought that Rodriguez, Obika, Lita after the club let Bridcutt, El Abd and Barnes go would strengthen the team is of no concern to you?

The REF

Jun 30, 2012
hopefully this will be a voice of reason , the club has come a very long way in 4 years and like any other new/transforming business will make errors and learn from them ,making them more resilient in the future. I make the assumption that Tony Bloom is a very shrewd man and as a fan wants the very best future for BHA.
If he thinks any individual is prohibiting that plan he will ( within the rules of engagement) get shot of them.
That said ,I do feel there are too many people at different levels within the club doing the same job ( and I mean nearly all levels) just take the outgoing manager and his assistant NJ, both constantly together in the technical area ( what do we do now...I dunno,,what about a sub....risky at this stage...yeah maybe not then ,,,and so on... )
This is just one example ,as this appears to be the case right through the club ,ie recruitment ,planning, coaching, back of house staff , the list goes on.
The main thing is ...a few wise people with clout make better decisions than a conensus with limited influence.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Really, songs the fact that Burke thought that Rodriguez, Obika, Lita after the club let Bridcutt, El Abd and Barnes go would strengthen the team is of no concern to you?

A fair point and reasonably put. What I would say in response is we don't know what other options were around within the budget Burke was given to do his scouting.

And I remember enough people on NSC getting stiffys about Obika on the strength of 6 (?) reserve goals for Charlton to indicate that it wasn't only the scouting team that had high hopes.

What I will agree with is that the scouting process needs to be reviewed to see if it is effective in identifying potential signings within the budget we have available. I'd be surprised if Tony wasn't expecting Barber and Burke to do this tout suite.

Last edited:

ILOVEBHA

Jul 27, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Please please please sack him ASAP
He has lied to us fans all season and his dealings in the transfer market have been laughable at best...
I remember he said Oscar had the final say in all transfers, what he failed to mention was that he gave Oscar the options however shit they were

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Please please please sack him ASAP
He has lied to us fans all season and his dealings in the transfer market have been laughable at best...
I remember he said Oscar had the final say in all transfers, what he failed to mention was that he gave Oscar the options however shit they were

You've not bothered to read this thread, or any thread we've had before, or listen to the Roar podcast...or anything ever, have you?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Didn't Burke come from Southampton they have really struggled since he left!!

He came from Southampton yes but he was number 3 man there.
Now if we had there man Les Reed who knows how to judge a player then I don't think we would be questioning our signings.
Les Reed has given Burke a job at both Fulham and Southampton, but Burke has never held such a high position as he holds now before.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
You've not bothered to read this thread, or any thread we've had before, or listen to the Roar podcast...or anything ever, have you?

You mean the podcast where David Burke told us it was his job to ensure that he got players to fit into our system, to make sure they did not have a history of injuries and the players head must be in the right places?
Then he signs Agustien with his injury record, he signs Obika when we play one up front who we rely on to hold the ball up and he had the touch of a rapist. Then he signs Monakana who was being criticised by his manager Simon Grayson as being in the last chance saloon, with a bad attitude.
So your point is?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Why do we Brighton and Hove Albion (and other clubs) have to completely over complicate this whole player recruitment process.

What's wrong with the good old days of employing a manager (not head coach) and letting said manager recruit his own players. After all, he is the man charged with picking the team every week.

Those moronic folk who justify it with "the coach (not DOF) has the final say on player recruitment" are clueless.

When the best option from a list of identified loanees is John Obika you know the system is fundamentally flawed.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
You mean the podcast where David Burke told us it was his job to ensure that he got players to fit into our system, to make sure they did not have a history of injuries and the players head must be in the right places?
Then he signs Agustien with his injury record, he signs Obika when we play one up front who we rely on to hold the ball up and he had the touch of a rapist. Then he signs Monakana who was being criticised by his manager Simon Grayson as being in the last chance saloon, with a bad attitude.
So your point is?

My point is that in this thread it shows how easy it is to paint somebody incorrectly when you only point out the failures. Why not look at the successes we've had with player recruitment and give a balanced view?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Anyone know what was behind brining Rohan Ince and Solly March to name just 2 players to the club???

Yeah lets get this IDIOT out shall we?

It's not his fault our budget is being controlled by FFP. I'm sure he would rather we sign our number one targets but he's not to blame when we don't get them.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I have to say, when people say "Barber Out" I can find plenty of reasons to defend the guy. Burke on the other hand, I'm not so sure what good work he is doing, but he is the guy who gave Oscar none of the players he wanted, I would say he has something to answer for for that.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I have to say, when people say "Barber Out" I can find plenty of reasons to defend the guy. Burke on the other hand, I'm not so sure what good work he is doing, but he is the guy who gave Oscar none of the players he wanted, I would say he has something to answer for for that.

For me, i personally need to know all the facts before making a proper judgement on someone. When it comes to the transfers, we all know (at least, i hope we do) that it isn't simply a case of 'Here's the players, go and buy them' as there's so many factors involved: The valuation of the player, whether the player wants to leave their club, whether wages/terms are appropriate for both parties, the agents, the upheaval of moving the player/their family to a new part of the country/a new country altogether.

There's so many elements that have to be right for this to happen and it may be just that we were unlucky with the targets, or perhaps the targets weren't feasible. Or it could be that Burke is terrible and ruining the club etc. It depends on which way the hammer falls, i guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports