Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke OUT!!!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Would any of the whingers complained if Grabbon had signed...but greedy agents make it difficult,if we are keeping in our wage structure then that's fine by me...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I don't suppose you'd care to flesh out this contention, citing relevant considerations, correct facts and true examples...

TLO, do you mind if I use this as a response to almost every thread currently on NSC? :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's an interesting debate but not because of David Burke the man. Rather it's the system that needs challenging.

I know this is NSC and contradiction is what we do best but some of the ITK posts have been frankly contradictory today. I have seen that Oscar was not happy with the transfer policy but also that he wanted LESS involvement and not more. Both cannot be true. Unless we know the real reasons for Oscar leaving this is all going to be conjecture. Perhaps, despite the phlegmatic, considered persona he didn't want the responsibility of signing players but he did want his type of players. If this is true we are well rid of him to be honest.

I'm not sure the 'director of football' role works in England at the minute. We are still brought up on the all-controlling boss. And when the most famous exponent of this is Sir Alex Ferguson it's pretty hard to challenge.

I work, day to day, in "change". People are pretty resistant to it. Sometimes it is the irrational, Luddite fear of the new. Sometimes, however they can smell the cheerleaders' bullshit and inadequacy. That I cannot tell which David Burke's role represents should be concerning any free thinking Brighton fan.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Would any of the whingers complained if Grabbon had signed...but greedy agents make it difficult,if we are keeping in our wage structure then that's fine by me...
Not sure it's some kind of rare insight to identify one of the league's leading scorers as a potential target.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
This is the biggest issue for me, this man, his interference, his ineptitude, got to go or we will NEVER progress any further.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Get this ****ing idiot out of my football club Bloom!

We've lost two perfectly good managers now and signed too many jokers because of this imbecile

BERK OUT!!!

Are you as dim in real life?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The Cossacks work for the Tsar.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He spoke on a lot of subjects. Any particular aspect? It's been a while since I've listened to it.

It was our most listened-to show of the season.

More about the system and perhaps it's not the Nazi style, you vill be signing him type system people believe we have in place.

People seem to be suggesting thay OG was duped when signing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nor Jones, nor Martinez, nor the German doctor bloke...

Thought Burke was seen as at the same level as Barber, and as involved with Oscar...? I'm not saying it means anything, just an observation. 2 managers have now left in a short space of time, both under slightly cloudy circumstances, with both commenting on the budget/transfer situation unfavourably.

We wouldn't be doing our fit and proper persons test properly if we didn't at least discuss why this is.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seemingly there are intrinsic problems with our recruiting process not beimg streamlined enough. Perhaps there needs to be an urgent review of the whole department.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't suppose you'd care to flesh out this contention, citing relevant considerations, correct facts and true examples...

You won't get any facts about Burkes involvement in some of the mediocrity we signed so we might as well move on. As long as Garcia doesn't get all the blame for them.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Seemingly there are intrinsic problems with our recruiting process not beimg streamlined enough. Perhaps there needs to be an urgent review of the whole department.

I agree it needs to be reviewed, and now before the new manager comes in or as part of the process of the new manager so he can have his say.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's an interesting debate but not because of David Burke the man. Rather it's the system that needs challenging.

I know this is NSC and contradiction is what we do best but some of the ITK posts have been frankly contradictory today. I have seen that Oscar was not happy with the transfer policy but also that he wanted LESS involvement and not more. Both cannot be true. Unless we know the real reasons for Oscar leaving this is all going to be conjecture. Perhaps, despite the phlegmatic, considered persona he didn't want the responsibility of signing players but he did want his type of players. If this is true we are well rid of him to be honest.

I'm not sure the 'director of football' role works in England at the minute. We are still brought up on the all-controlling boss. And when the most famous exponent of this is Sir Alex Ferguson it's pretty hard to challenge.

I work, day to day, in "change". People are pretty resistant to it. Sometimes it is the irrational, Luddite fear of the new. Sometimes, however they can smell the cheerleaders' bullshit and inadequacy. That I cannot tell which David Burke's role represents should be concerning any free thinking Brighton fan.

Great post. People are having a go at Burke the man but from what I've seen he's doing a decent enough job when you consider what Tony Bloom has emplyed him for.

It might just be that the way it's structured causes him to tread on the manager's toes too much. I seem to remember seeing a company structure that put Burke, Barber and Oscar on the same level and answerable only to Tony Bloom. Perhaps that is causing problems and the DOF role should be a level below and answerable just to Barber.

At the end of the day we still need someone to orchestrate all the coaches, scouts, negotiate contracts etc

The only bone of contention is when we get to choosing transfer targets, perhaps that just needs to be tweaked rather than get rid of the role entirely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here