Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke, is the fat lady clearing her throat?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Tony Bloom wasn't happy with our previous director of football, John Stephenson. He lasted 6 months. He also sacked Ken Brown. Tony hasn't sacked David Burke, who is also responsible for attaining the Academy status for our new training ground. Therefore it follows that TB must be happy with Burke.

Player movements usually speed up when the Prem clubs announce their 25 man squads.

Are you sure about that, I thought he resigned from the club?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/9191505.Stephenson_leaves_Albion/

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
A good day of business?
Where are they all now.

So if they're still not with the club its bad business? All 4 contributed to the success of the club, however big or small.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Unfortunately for David Burke he finds himself at the exposed and sharp end of Club and Supporter relationships. Whilst we don't always agree with TB or PB's decisions TB is in the main immune from criticism, in our gratitude. PB is as we mostly agree in between a rock and a hard place doing his job means a degree of austerity ... never very popular, but generally he's seen as amongst the best.
David Burke... Is a difficult call for me. We know his remit is identifying players of use to the squad. But how far does that remit extend ? I doubt he has the final say in paying anything, though I guess he has some input. To be fair to him, he maybe more frustrated than us, that he finds the perfect target but is not backed up with sufficient finances.
'Seagull by the Sea' is spot on pointing out that it was less than practical to off load reasonably talented players. Without having replacements confirmed. Were we trying to save a couple of months salary on aquisitions ? I'm not sure that would have been his choice. All in all it isn't the best of situations, but all is not lost....yet. Burke good at his job? Surely the jury is still out. ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Likewise it did not state he was sacked, but the fact he states he can't settle in Brighton as his reason for leaving, implies to me he left on his own accord and was not pushed.

He came to us from Watford. He didn't even have to live in Brighton, as Hoskins commuted from Watford when he was fit. The 'not settling' reason was just an excuse.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Give him his cards complete waist of space.

you have to be careful what you say
I once said "heads should roll" on ask the club, which I might say was said about people not even involved with the club(over the player fiasco that was)
and got banned for 3 days
and still never had a reasonable explanation

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
David Burke replaced him within 6 months, working well with Poyet.

I know for a fact that this happend, I even posted it on here about stephenson making signings and Poyet not being happy, I got slated at the time.

Bloom clearly didnt want to run the club with Gus in control and brought in Burke.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know for a fact that this happend, I even posted it on here about stephenson making signings and Poyet not being happy, I got slated at the time.

Bloom clearly didnt want to run the club with Gus in control and brought in Burke.

I agree about Stephenson making unwanted signings (Berkamp) but there was always going to be a director of football, no matter who the manager was.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I agree about Stephenson making unwanted signings (Berkamp) but there was always going to be a director of football, no matter who the manager was.

Agreed and there no doubt will be for the foreseable future, it is clearly how TB wants to run the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here