Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke, is the fat lady clearing her throat?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I kind of agree, but would put more emphasis on the gradual decline in the strength of our squad since Gus left. For me, Sami gets the bulk of the blame for our current predicament, but Burke should also be blamed for a significant drop-off in the quality of our squad from top 6 to about mid-table.

Absolutely. I'm not absolving Burke from any blame. As has been said on another thread, signings under Oscar (barring Stephens and Ward) were pretty poor.

In fairness though, we've lost Kuszczak, Upson, Ward/Bridge, Bridcutt, Hammond, Orlandi, Lopez, Vicente, Barnes and Ulloa and they're hard to replace. Whether we've been given a budget that should replace them and Burke has failed or we've not spent the necessary money, who knows?

As I said though, I'm glad the system seems to be changing. You can't judge either the manager or director of football fairly as they rely heavily on each other. However, seeing Ince and Holla dominate the midfield last night, demonstrated exactly how poorly Hyypia used the squad!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely. I'm not absolving Burke from any blame. As has been said on another thread, signings under Oscar (barring Stephens and Ward) were pretty poor.

In fairness though, we've lost Kuszczak, Upson, Ward/Bridge, Bridcutt, Hammond, Orlandi, Lopez, Vicente, Barnes and Ulloa and they're hard to replace. Whether we've been given a budget that should replace them and Burke has failed or we've not spent the necessary money, who knows?

As I said though, I'm glad the system seems to be changing. You can't judge either the manager or director of football fairly as they rely heavily on each other. However, seeing Ince and Holla dominate the midfield last night, demonstrated exactly how poorly Hyypia used the squad!

Spot on.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Burke may not have signed stars but he put together a good deep squad. We were missing 8 out of 10 first choice outfielders yesterday - and still had a decent team. Give some credit where it is due.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
You only had to listen to Warren Aspinal's thoughts on how Burke ran the scouting network before last nights match to realise how big a part he has played in the current situation.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

not wishing to pick holes. But did we not let go. Kuszczak ,ward Vicente Orlando ,Hammond ,Lopez .if we wanted they could have stayed. is that not down to Burke ?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Still rubbish
I have to agree with you. Thankfully Hughton is getting the best out of a terrible squad. Can't wait for a good clear out in the summer and other players like O'Grady sold on.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Burke may not have signed stars but he put together a good deep squad. We were missing 8 out of 10 first choice outfielders yesterday - and still had a decent team. Give some credit where it is due.
Rubbish. He has filled the squad with rubbish to very average players. Much rather quality over quantity

Burke has taking this club backwards. I'm absolutely delighted he has gone. Utter waste of wages employing him to oversee player recruitment

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The recruitment problem was exacerbated by Hyypia but there was a problem.

It did suprise me that Burke didn't get one more go without the clueless Finn about but equally I wasn't shedding major tears about his departure. It was clear to all that Hyypia was the biggest problem though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Starting to look like Burke was a scapegoat for TB ****ing up with Hyppia

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
The recruitment problem was exacerbated by Hyypia but there was a problem.

It did suprise me that Burke didn't get one more go without the clueless Finn about but equally I wasn't shedding major tears about his departure. It was clear to all that Hyypia was the biggest problem though.

Not in in the most important mans eyes at the club Tony Bloom, as he wanted to Hyppia to stay and by sacking Burke showed where he thought the problem was, rightly or wrongly. Lets face it, Burke did not it seem, have a good working relationship with the two managers preceding Hyppia.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You obviously do not agree with our chairman then who sacked him?

Exactly. And we're saving on his salary now.
But what if after Ince 2 other development players come through to first team football, and beyond, that were signed by the Burker?

I think completely and abusively (as some are) writing off Burke's tenure is somewhat hasty.
For all we know he could end up the Albion's most profitable appointment, who then got slung out with the bathwater.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But what if after Ince 2 other development players come through to first team football, and beyond, that were signed by the Burker?

I think completely and abusively (as some are) writing off Burke's tenure is somewhat hasty.
For all we know he could end up the Albion's most profitable appointment, who then got slung out with the bathwater.

Warren Aspinall actually spoke quite candidly about how the scouts felt about Burke on Radio Sussex during his Fulham away commentary. It was these comments I found more interesting leading up to his departure than just saying some signings weren't good enough.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
...or not (for all we know).

No abuse from me, but I still think he was part of the problem (as was the system he was working in, and, of course, Hyypia)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here