Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke, is the fat lady clearing her throat?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did Tony Bloom recommend signing Toko, Agustien, Gardner, Chicksen, Rodriguez, Monakana and McCourt then? All who have contributed what to the recent form?

Toko?
Gardener?
McCourt?
Rodriguez - wasn't he more to do with Oscar.
Chicksen - I still wouldn't class him as a failure.
Monakana - A cheap punt on KLL II, no problem with that.

Saving the best till last

Agustien - For 18 months we have been crying out of a forward thinking, ball playing, unit, at the head of the midfield.
Linking through to the forwards.
Kemy should be a bloody great hero to all of us, on his way to collecting his second Player of the Year award.
We'd be singing songs and demanding his place on the non existent legends wall.
Quite how it's got this fooked up, I doubt anyone of us will ever know.
But on paper, his signing was exactly what we wanted when we made it.

Such as waste of time money and talent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Warren Aspinall actually spoke quite candidly about how the scouts felt about Burke on Radio Sussex during his Fulham away commentary. It was these comments I found more interesting leading up to his departure than just saying some signings weren't good enough.
I missed that, what was the subtext?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not in in the most important mans eyes at the club Tony Bloom, as he wanted to Hyppia to stay and by sacking Burke showed where he thought the problem was, rightly or wrongly.

That does worry me. I can only hope he was politiking about having to pay up Hyypia's contract. Shame him into leaving in effect.

Hyypia was a dire manager for the circumstance we were in. Perhaps with the right players that system would have worked but I'm not even sure Hyypia was capable of identifying who the right players were within his own squad.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Starting to look like Burke was a scapegoat for TB ****ing up with Hyppia
Maybe Burke identified Hyypia as the ideal managerial target?

If he was influential in that, then worked with Hyypia to bring in the players he brought in, only to see them all flounder, then it's not a surprise he was sacked.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

No subtext at all - he was remarkably candid about how little attention DB paid to the multiple potential recruits that WA and the rest of the scouting team offered. He even named names of targets but I've forgotten who they were as my baby daughter was screaming her ****ing head off at the time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That scouts were not being listened to and felt isolated from the recruitment process. He said that good quality targets were being identified but ignored but who then went onto play well for other clubs in this division. Signings were being made that hadn't been scouted at all by our scouts, and the subtext was clearly from his point of view that the scouting network for the club wasn't functioning with the recruitment setup.

Now that is one of our paid scouts view in Warren, but it was said on air quite candidly and with an air of grievance about it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That scouts were not being listened to and felt isolated from the recruitment process. He said that good quality targets were being identified but ignored but who then went onto play well for other clubs in this division. Signings were being made that hadn't been scouted at all by our scouts, and the subtext was clearly from his point of view that the scouting network for the club wasn't functioning with the recruitment setup.

Now that is one of our paid scouts view in Warren, but it was said on air quite candidly and with an air of grievance about it.
Well that's interesting.
No love lost there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If he was influential in that, then worked with Hyypia to bring in the players he brought in, only to see them all flounder, then it's not a surprise he was sacked.

If he had anything to do with that clown being appointed I would understand completely why he was sacked. As it is I think he probably paid the price for Hyypia BEING a clown and to make TB feel better about his own feck up.in appointing Hyypia.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did Tony Bloom recommend signing Toko, Agustien, Gardner, Chicksen, Rodriguez, Monakana and McCourt then? All who have contributed what to the recent form?

Even in my most biased mood I wouldn't expect any recruitment head in a Championship club to get all his signings right. Baldock, Holla, Texeira and Stockdale are all straring to look much better than they did not so long ago.

We do things on the cheap at this level. of course there will be plenty of gambles that don't work/.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If he had anything to do with that clown being appointed I would understand completely why he was sacked. As it is I think he probably paid the price for Hyypia BEING a clown and to make TB feel better about his own feck up.in appointing Hyypia.
Burke was instrumental in the recruitment of the useless Hyypia and that massive mistake cost him his own job. Fair enough in their world.

Burke is also an over-promoted PE teacher who has enjoyed a good run at getting very well paid, to do a not very difficult job, fairly averagely. i.e. spend Tony Bloom's money on a "some you win, some you lose" basis.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Burke was instrumental in the recruitment of the useless Hyypia and that massive mistake cost him his own job. Fair enough in their world.

Burke is also an over-promoted PE teacher who has enjoyed a good run at getting very well paid, to do a not very difficult job, fairly averagely. i.e. spend Tony Bloom's money on a "some you win, some you lose" basis.

Could a PE teacher set up the leading academy in the country? Or hold positions at Southampton, Man City, set up the Aspire academy in Qatar? Suspect you are talking shit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Could a PE teacher set up the leading academy in the country? Or hold positions at Southampton, Man City, set up the Aspire academy in Qatar? Suspect you are talking shit.

It seems DB is unrivalled in the setting up academies business however a mate was in corporate at the Fulham away game the other week and was sitting next to a man city scout (who was there to report on some Fulham midfielder who is on loan from city). Anyway, this scout said Burke used to be in the scouting dept at city and that there was surprise he'd got such a big job as DoF at us (he wasn't highly rated).

So it seems that DB should stick to academies. Lita, Obika, Toko, Kemy, Gardner, Spanish Rod, sacking the scout who found Ulloa. Chasing Ballsack all summer (2 goals so far wowee), want me to go on? Ok I will. Cast your minds back, with about two weeks to go we really looked like Casper was going to start as no1 and CMS was our only fit striker along with Fenelon, even COG hadnt signed at that point. Summer recruitment was a DISASTER. Yes there has been the odd hit like Stephens. But all of this including what Aspinall said live on air just had to contribute to his downfall. HAD TO.

Its been documented Sami got Tex and identified Bennett as a LB he wanted.

Sadly Sami was just incompetent Im not linking the two. REMEMBER they actually tried to KEEP Sami. MADNESS.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Certainly not "talking shit" at all. I have personal experience of him and his type. Gone a long way based on not very much and am very unsurprised that his tenure at Brighton has finished in relative failure.

£23m of Tony Bloom's money set up "the leading academy in the country" (which in itself is a gross exaggeration) not David Burke. If he was good at his job then he would still be at the club.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I'm sure Berk had some input into Semi's appointment, he might even have done part of the interview.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Well he should stick to setting up academies then and be nowhere near a senior side. As Aspinall's comments prove - he was part of the problem. From the perspective of the 1st team we're well shot of him.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Warren said, none of the players suggested by the Scouts was even looked at by Burke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here