David Burke, is the fat lady clearing her throat?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tony Bloom wasn't happy with our previous director of football, John Stephenson. He lasted 6 months. He also sacked Ken Brown. Tony hasn't sacked David Burke, who is also responsible for attaining the Academy status for our new training ground. Therefore it follows that TB must be happy with Burke.

Player movements usually speed up when the Prem clubs announce their 25 man squads.

That is true.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Tony Bloom wasn't happy with our previous director of football, John Stephenson. He lasted 6 months. He also sacked Ken Brown. Tony hasn't sacked David Burke, who is also responsible for attaining the Academy status for our new training ground. Therefore it follows that TB must be happy with Burke.

Player movements usually speed up when the Prem clubs announce their 25 man squads.

Ok, but that would lead us to think we will going for prem loans? Or at least signing someone from a club that has brought in a loan replacement from the prem.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ok, but that would lead us to think we will going for prem loans? Or at least signing someone from a club that has brought in a loan replacement from the prem.

I don't know. All I know is that a lot of business is done in August rather than June or July.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013

I thought Stephenson went because TB backed Gus?

Ken Brown made many mistakes that cost the club tens of thousands of pounds like vastly over-ordering stock for the shop.

It MAY just be possible that TB is happy for players to be sold, others released and youth given a chance. If it is then great, tell us that. All I hear is keep spending money so we can buy players, we are PLR etc. etc. and this does not tally up with what we are seeing with our own eyes....up to now...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The reason I blame DB and his team is simple:

He is responsible for the scouting and recruitment team, their remit is to have a 'list' of players that fit a certain profile. We have been told by Gus, PB, DB and others that if we get an injury etc. we can go to this magical list and make moves for that player.

It only makes sense if the players on that list were checked out to be 1. Available, 2. Affordable and 3. Willing to consider moving to another club from their current club.

Having made the decision to release so many players at the end of last season, DB and his team should have been on the phone getting the desired players in. That they have failed is, IMO, down to bad planning, scouting or background information as we have lost out time and again.

Even TB said he had hoped we would have had signed more than we have, read into that what you will.
Nicely put.

I've said before if the Ward deal were to fall through at the 11th hour I have no confidence in a comparable replacement taking his place. Which in itself alludes to your points.

But we have no idea what or who has blocked our signings so I won't be reading anything into Tony's comments, as I don't have an agenda.

NOBODY is 100% happy about fielding a side on Saturday that requires strengthening, but as has been said 'it is what it is'.

By virtue of the amount of clubs and players still in limbo, it would be safe to assume something is happening behind closed doors.
The have and have nots are financially drifting so far apart it would seem those of us in the 'prudent have not' pile are all struggling to get ink on contracts.
That's not DB's fault.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You have laid the blame at David Burke's door by repeatedly stating that he is ultimately responsible, without considering that the issues may well lay outside his team's sphere of influence and responsibility, What makes you think they haven't reviewed their methods - and don't look at it repeatedly? It's merely your assumption to believe they haven't. Just because it isn't operating to your satisfaction, it doesn't follow they don't persistently look at their methods.

FFS - I said there should be a review of all factors. Not just DB and his team. All factors. Is that so hard to understand?

Which only highlights your sense of self-importance. You are also wrong; you called anyone who questioned the board a 'traitor'. Not that you have the right to do so; that's none of your business. Backtracking now doesn't enhance your argument.

Not backtracking - get your facts straight.

I haven't towed any party line. I've merely questioned your petulant self-aggrandising - another thing which doesn't enhance your (non) argument - and what the root of it is, aside from the banal 'facts and logic', as if that phrase has any meaning.

Judging by the stupidity you consistently demonstrate, even in your first two paragraphs above, which I've pulled apart in seconds, I doubt you even know what this means.

I don't know how they exactly operate on a day-to-day basis, nor do I know exactly where the issues lie. But, by automatically putting the issues at David Burke's door by repeatedly stating it's his responsibility, it appears you seemingly do. You're also telling them exactly what they should do, further enhancing your claim of knowing exactly where the problems lie.

I haven't / It is / FFS - a review is a review - a review has no predetermined outcome (unless you're a corrupt politician). Again, you demonstrate your ignorance.

The 'facts' you have are the results, not the means. Seeing as you don't know the means, you're not in a position to tell them what to do. But then, everyone else knew that. Except you, it would appear.

My opinion is that there should be a review precisely in order to get to the root causes of the undoubted player recruitment failings as evidenced by the 'results'.

Conclusion: you (and your cronies) are either playing dumb, or are, in fact, just ignorant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought Stephenson went because TB backed Gus?

Ken Brown made many mistakes that cost the club tens of thousands of pounds like vastly over-ordering stock for the shop.

It MAY just be possible that TB is happy for players to be sold, others released and youth given a chance. If it is then great, tell us that. All I hear is keep spending money so we can buy players, we are PLR etc. etc. and this does not tally up with what we are seeing with our own eyes....up to now...

The transfer window hasn't closed yet. We don't know what is in the pipeline because the club tries to keep things close to it's chest. If we haven't signed anyone else by Sept 1st, I'll join you in having a moan.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't know. All I know is that a lot of business is done in August rather than June or July.

This. I remember us signing 4 on deadline day (Orlandi, Spanish Dave, Hammond & Dobbie). I'd say that was a good day of business.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
They aren't my words as to how good they are as it's completely subjective. Ask [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], I'm sure it was him who mentioned this.

It was Bozza, who also said, just like Naylor, that we were getting 3 signings in, all of which haven't materialised yet. Naylor rightly hammered. Bozza wrongly let off hook.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It was Bozza, who also said, just like Naylor, that we were getting 3 signings in, all of which haven't materialised yet. Naylor rightly hammered. Bozza wrongly let off hook.

One swallow doesn't make a summer though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The reason I blame DB and his team is simple:

He is responsible for the scouting and recruitment team, their remit is to have a 'list' of players that fit a certain profile. We have been told by Gus, PB, DB and others that if we get an injury etc. we can go to this magical list and make moves for that player.

It only makes sense if the players on that list were checked out to be 1. Available, 2. Affordable and 3. Willing to consider moving to another club from their current club.

Having made the decision to release so many players at the end of last season, DB and his team should have been on the phone getting the desired players in. That they have failed is, IMO, down to bad planning, scouting or background information as we have lost out time and again.

Even TB said he had hoped we would have had signed more than we have, read into that what you will.

This. But I also allow for the possibility of other factors both within and outside of the club's control. Not that idiots like TLO understand this.

Feb 14, 2010

Naylor is unpopular because he doesnt understand the Albion. He doesnt get why a historically lower league club is the 11th best supported team in the country and didnt (doesnt?) know that we used to be in the 70s as well. He just doesnt understand the club, and tries to make us out to be a Reading or someone. If you have a local ragjourno then you expect them to understand the club. He just never has. Personally, I couldnt care less how many scoops he gets or doesnt get. I just wish he would understand the history of the club and write with a knowledgable slant instead of the drivel the Argus serves up these days

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Actually, Gus ousted Stephenson.

No denying DB's success with the academy, but that's not the pressing issue or main subject of this thread.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Which is fine, unless your squad is seriously depleted, as ours is...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My opinion is that there should be a review precisely in order to get to the root causes of the undoubted player recruitment failings as evidenced by the 'results'.

Conclusion: you (and your cronies) are either playing dumb, or are, in fact, just ignorant.

'Cronies' - what an archaic and feeble word. It has no real value in this context, and is only used as a petulant perjorative because you can't handle the point that people disagree with your meaningless self-important 'facts and logic' (aka 'guesswork').

I gave up once I'd hit that word. I'm sure the rest of the sentence was very interesting.

This. But I also allow for the possibility of other factors both within and outside of the club's control. Not that idiots like TLO understand this.

This is getting more astounding. You are so entertaining on so many low levels.

I had to point this simple fact out to you, and you wouldn't accept it at first. And now you cholerically call me an 'idiot' (aw, diddums) for not understanding it? Blimey, what does that make you?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
'Cronies' - what an archaic and feeble word. It has no real value in this context, and is only used as a petulant perjorative because you can't handle the point that people disagree with your meaningless self-important 'facts and logic' (aka 'guesswork').

I gave up once I'd hit that word. I'm sure the rest of the sentence was very interesting.

This is getting more astounding. You are so entertaining on so many low levels.

I had to point this simple fact out to you, and you wouldn't accept it at first. And now you cholerically call me an 'idiot' (aw, diddums) for not understanding it? Blimey, what does that make you?

You appear to be very tense and very patronising.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports