The Troubadour
It’s not the DAY for GESSWORK from you [MENTION=12291]Bradders[/MENTION]

I've checked with my SAUCE in Lisbon who told me "ele esta no estadio da luz"

Which if you TRANS into INGLISH says " he is at the stadium of light"

So it looks like he has SINGED for SUNDERLAND :facepalm:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
White was class for us last year, but the others I've mentioned were too. I grant you that White played c36 games, which was more than the others, but Lamptey, March and Webster were all playing better than him before they got their injuries. White really kicked on from about December last year (especially when he returned to defence, and he to a back three), but both Veltman and Dunk were excellent in 2021.

Presumably the point of saying White was our 6th best defender is to highlight that we won't miss him because we have a lot of good players. So I'm not having a dig at you on that front, because I think we do have a lot of good players.

But I don't think March, Lamptey and Veltman (because he played largely at wingback), are direct comparison's as defenders because they don't play the same role as White. It would be slightly different if you said White wasn't even our 5th best performer in the team last year as I think that opens up the debate more. I would still say there was an argument that he was in the top 5, but I'd chalk that up to differing opinions.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
No one is arguing that we wouldn't be improved by signing a quality striker. Of course we need more cover there. But what has got on my tits today (and what has drawn me into debate) has been comments like:

- we're a weaker squad (often followed by a word like 'obviously')
- we're sitting on £50m why don't we spend it?
- we can afford £30m (ignoring what we all believe is a wage cap at the Albion)
- we're so slow in negotiating, that's why we ....
- ....never sign a striker
- just go and by one Bloom

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
No one is arguing that we wouldn't be improved by signing a quality striker. Of course we need more cover there. But what has got on my tits today (and what has drawn me into debate) has been comments like:

Up front we are now weaker. This is simply undisputable. We went into the window with four strikers in and around the first team and are leaving with three.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

The £50m will cover some of the £67m loss from season before last.

Last seasons losses may well be even worse given most of it was played behind closed doors.

Just love the way fans like to spend our owners money.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We may have £50m in the bank but that's like checking your bank account the day after pay day and ignoring your £2k overdraft the day before that. It's easy to spend other people's money, I'd rather trust in Bloom and stay sustainable and spend within our means.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Last seasons losses may well be even worse given most of it was played behind closed doors.

I agree.

Though on the other hand if we go down due to lack of fire power I will feel differently

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Nunez was at training in Benfica this afternoon so unless he's got a private jet I suspect this one won't be happening.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Whether Tony Bloom wants to throw more money into the club or not is irrelevant if we are close to the limit of Profitability and Sustainability rules that could see an embargo placed on new contracts. Cross that line and we are stuffed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Presumably the point of saying White was our 6th best defender is to highlight that we won't miss him because we have a lot of good players. So I'm not having a dig at you on that front, because I think we do have a lot of good players.

But I don't think March, Lamptey and Veltman (because he played largely at wingback), are direct comparison's as defenders because they don't play the same role as White. It would be slightly different if you said White wasn't even our 5th best performer in the team last year as I think that opens up the debate more. I would still say there was an argument that he was in the top 5, but I'd chalk that up to differing opinions.

I was making a mildly ridiculous argument in response to the clearly ridiculous claim that White was our best player last season. There is no differing of opinions on that: it was clearly Bissouma.
And, yes, there's an argument about what constitutes a defender, and where wing-backs fit into that but, I'd add, that White played in DCM, RWB, LWB, RB and LB alongside various CB configurations last season (which, to me, works in his favour).
I definitely think that Webster had a better season than White (even given 6-8 weeks out with injury, and a dip in form on his return)
If Lamptey and March hadn't got injured and maintained their form, for me, they'd have had better seasons than White.
Lots on here included Dunk and Veltman in their top 3 PotS last year. I wasn't entirely convinced by them being that great, certainly not throughout the season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Im saying if it’s between him and literally NO ONE, I’d choose him. I don’t think that’s that crazy tbh. His story isn’t broadly that dissimilar to Danny Welbeck’s tbh…

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

What I don’t get about this though, is every club had those losses. Why do we talk as though we are the only club who have to recoup losses?

“Ah but they have billionaire owners”

So do we…

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What I don’t get about this though, is every club had those losses. Why do we talk as though we are the only club who have to recoup losses?

“Ah but they have billionaire owners”

So do we…

I am sure it has been proven our owner is nowhere near as well off as most other Premier League club owners.

Also the club is committed to a sustainable model which means not throwing cash away, besides, around £34m already wasted on Ali J and Locadia who didn't perform

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I am sure it has been proven our owner is nowhere near as well off as most other Premier League club owners.

Also the club is committed to a sustainable model which means not throwing cash away, besides, around £34m already wasted on Ali J and Locadia who didn't perform

Which is absolutely fine and I think everyone understands that.

However, when the ‘top ten’ target is constantly thrown around by the club you can’t blame fans for being frustrated when the transfer strategy doesn’t match that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Which is absolutely fine and I think everyone understands that.

However, when the ‘top ten’ target is constantly thrown around by the club you can’t blame fans for being frustrated when the transfer strategy doesn’t match that.

If not that bad, last transfer window we bought the most expensive player...........

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

It’s not about fans spending blooms money it’s the fact we got Maupay wellbeck and Connolly to get us through another season . Just love how the lickers defend this no matter what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here