Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I’d be very curious to know who has “proven” this.

There’s also a difference between how wealthy someone is, and how much they are willing to invest. Bloom may not be as wealthy as the big 4/6 etc, but certainly wealthier than a number of the smaller owners, I’d wager.

Quite. It’s the same old story of people wanting to spend other people’s money.

And while ignoring the fact that the club is being run according to a business plan and with policies and guidelines.

And I would imagine that if Mr P was banging on Mr B’s door devastated and in tears because the striker situation hasn’t been addressed, he would do more about it. Maybe it’s more likely to be “I’d like Darwin, that Celtic kiddy isn’t worth the money, and don’t risk taking a punt on anyone who isn’t already on our radar…..

…… unless it’s Andy Carroll ???:shit:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Ive heard that for quite a few years, if he restated it a few months back, fair enough..... It isn't happening with the window so far.

He did say it at the end of last season and has pretty much consigned into impossibility instantly by failing to yet again address the squads massive issue over the last two seasons.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He did say it at the end of last season and has pretty much consigned into impossibility instantly by failing to yet again address the squads massive issue over the last two seasons.

If that's the case, then why? to encourage ST sales?

Are the recruitment team ballsing up, as this is no way a top ten squad. We've had more trimmings than a Christmas lunch.

or Bloom, legend that he is, for all his stated ambition, doesn't have the means presently to fullfil it, which is fair enough but makes the statement nothing more than a fantasy that was best left unsaid?

This squad, and this group of Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly as an attacking in unit is not top ten...... its not even wishful thinking.

#3worseteams #sameold

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If that's the case, then why? to encourage ST sales?

Are the recruitment team ballsing up, as this is no way a top ten squad. We've had more trimmings than a Christmas lunch.

or Bloom, legend that he is, for all his stated ambition, doesn't have the means presently to fullfil it, which is fair enough but makes the statement nothing more than a fantasy that was best left unsaid?

This squad, and this group of Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly as an attacking in unit is not top ten...... its not even wishful thinking.

#3worseteams #sameold

Perhaps they have identified the quality of chances we create as the issue?

If we create better chances then our current strikers will convert a higher percentage.

If Mwepu, Cucurella and Tariq Lamptey can deliver better quality into the box, then we should score more goals.

The club has always been honest about having to think differently to challenge on a smaller budget.

Our latest recruitment may be a reflection of this more nuanced approach.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Perhaps they have identified the quality of chances we create as the issue?

If we create better chances then our current strikers will convert a higher percentage.

If Mwepu, Cucurella and Tariq Lamptey can deliver better quality into the box, then we should score more goals.

The club has always been honest about having to think differently to challenge on a smaller budget.

Our latest recruitment may be a reflection of this more nuanced approach.

We miss some absolute sitters from the chances we create.

Connolly's open goal miss the other week is symptomatic of that.

The only time we have a physical presence in the box is at set pieces.

Otherwise we're very lightweight up top.

The chances are created, we just don't finish them off well enough.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We miss some absolute sitters from the chances we create.

Connolly's open goal miss the other week is symptomatic of that.

The only time we have a physical presence in the box is at set pieces.

Otherwise we're very lightweight up top.

The chances are created, we just don't finish them off well enough.

The question is though, do we create and miss more of these that any other team? Clearly our expected goals is way below what it should be.

But I do wonder about the quality of chances we produce. I don't think we create that many clear cut chances (although agree Connoly misses more than his fair share) therefore we ask our striker to finsh from poorer chances and they simply are not up to that level.

I think that if we can imporve our delivery into the box we will score more. Two quality crosses against Burnley are exhibit A.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
if the celtic lad does the job up the road it will be a hard pill to swallow considering the price they have paid for him and the price that was being bandied around when we were looking at him.

Though, if we are trying to improve, is he better than Maupay/Welbeck?

I don’t know……

I’m more disappointed re Nunez, but in reality I don’t know much about him either ��

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The question is though, do we create and miss more of these that any other team? Clearly our expected goals is way below what it should be.

But I do wonder about the quality of chances we produce. I don't think we create that many clear cut chances (although agree Connoly misses more than his fair share) therefore we ask our striker to finsh from poorer chances and they simply are not up to that level.

I think that if we can imporve our delivery into the box we will score more. Two quality crosses against Burnley are exhibit A.

Our problem seems to be we're trying to pass the ball around the goal area to get the ball into the back of the net. And as you point out most of the chances aren't clear cut when we do that.

As soon as we cross a ball in the air that's not from a corner we're little threat.

We don't need a 20 goal striker, we just need one that's different to all the very similar forwards we have in Maupay, Mac Allister and Trossard. Create a bit of chaos in the box.

A bit of size and strength, more of an aerial threat and just someone who the smaller nippier players can play off.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
if the celtic lad does the job up the road it will be a hard pill to swallow considering the price they have paid for him and the price that was being bandied around when we were looking at him.

We were not looking at him in this window. The club made that very clear through their conduits to the local media.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Our problem seems to be we're trying to pass the ball around the goal area to get the ball into the back of the net. And as you point out most of the chances aren't clear cut when we do that.
As soon as we cross a ball in the air that's not from a corner we're little threat.
So don't cross it in the air - ping it across like we did at Burnley - and don't wait for pass no. 24 before pinging it in low and fast.

We don't need a 20 goal striker, we just need one that's different to all the very similar forwards we have in Maupay, Mac Allister and Trossard. Create a bit of chaos in the box.
A bit of size and strength, more of an aerial threat and just someone who the smaller nippier players can play off.
Don't need that different sort of striker if we cross like we did at Burnley, Maupay and Mac Allister are more than capable of gobbling them up!

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I put a bet on Nunez scoring, well, part of an accumulator.

I've never been so irritated about a signing that never happened :lolol:

Very doubtful we'll ever get him now. He's a baller.

I take some comfort in the fact that we seemed to know how good he is / was going to become... but very little.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here