Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why isn’t Patrik Schick being mentioned? Fit & Firing, tall, great touch, good in the air and scorer of outrageous goals. Also has top European league experience during his developmental years. If we’re going to break the (our) bank then this bloke surely fits the bill.
Probably because his price has doubled since the Euros? I'm guessing it has anyway. Whoever signs him (if he's even for sale) won't be getting VFM.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He just seems the best fit in terms of type of striker. We clearly wanted him last summer. For me it is a big yes please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d agree with this having been a little underwhelmed by his recent season with Benfica.

He has pace, strength plus a huge game outside of goal scoring which includes brilliant assist making and dribbling skills.

But, it’s his prowess in the air that floats my boat. Better than Zeqiri, Welbeck & Andone and light years ahead of Maupay, Connolly, Tau & Locadia.

Whilst he is an all round package, he’d be judged on goals. I think I can see a natural finisher in there, Edouard certainly appears to be one and I’d take him too. Greedy or realistic?

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Why isn’t Patrik Schick being mentioned? Fit & Firing, tall, great touch, good in the air and scorer of outrageous goals. Also has top European league experience during his developmental years. If we’re going to break the (our) bank then this bloke surely fits the bill.

Why would Schick want to join us? He's playing European football with Leverkusen and the club most likely don't want to sell him (they only bought him last year and he's on quite a long contract).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I’d agree with this having been a little underwhelmed by his recent season with Benfica.

He has pace, strength plus a huge game outside of goal scoring which includes brilliant assist making and dribbling skills.

But, it’s his prowess in the air that floats my boat. Better than Zeqiri, Welbeck & Andone and light years ahead of Maupay, Connolly, Tau & Locadia.

Whilst he is an all round package, he’d be judged on goals. I think I can see a natural finisher in there, Edouard certainly appears to be one and I’d take him too. Greedy or realistic?
In an ideal world we’d bin off Locadia, loan out Connolly and Zeqiri, sell Tau and Andone and sign Edouard and Nunez. Looks like we might be stuck with what we’ve got until at least September though....

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Probably because his price has doubled since the Euros? I'm guessing it has anyway. Whoever signs him (if he's even for sale) won't be getting VFM.

All completely relevant and accurate observations - however, when endlessly discussing who can put the ball in the net, VFM goes out of the window and this bloke even at €35-40m euros is not out of our wheelhouse. Especially when the old guard has been thinned out, White has been sold, the squad will probably be trimmed further and an improved contract for Biss is probably on the table. I rarely get drawn into striker threads but Schick looks like a contemporary and better version of Glenn Murray.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Why would Schick want to join us? He's playing European football with Leverkusen and the club most likely don't want to sell him (they only bought him last year and he's on quite a long contract).

Aye. Total non-starter.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All completely relevant and accurate observations - however, when endlessly discussing who can put the ball in the net, VFM goes out of the window and this bloke even at €35-40m euros is not out of our wheelhouse. Especially when the old guard has been thinned out, White has been sold, the squad will probably be trimmed further and an improved contract for Biss is probably on the table. I rarely get drawn into striker threads but Schick looks like a contemporary and better version of Glenn Murray.
None of the strikers being mentioned seem to fit our modus operandi. The Celtic bloke is overpriced and has downed tools - thus failing our "no pricks" test. The Benfica bloke isn't as good as they thought and is now well overpriced. Schick is now box office so we won't pay over the odds there - we never do.

I think we will end up starting with what we have unless someone we've been watching on the quiet suddenly becomes available. He'll be right out of left field and barely mentioned before now. I really wouldn't rule this out at all.

All just my opinion, but given that the squad is easily good enough to avoid relegation, there is simply no rush.

mike1901

May 12, 2017
In an ideal world we’d bin off Locadia, loan out Connolly and Zeqiri, sell Tau and Andone and sign Edouard and Nunez. Looks like we might be stuck with what we’ve got until at least September though....

Be frightening if your right !

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Have to say I agree, but would be a massive coup

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Greedy. Greed is good :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Because he absolutely screams West Ham Signing.

5 goal season - all in October, then

Nothing.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
None of the strikers being mentioned seem to fit our modus operandi. The Celtic bloke is overpriced and has downed tools - thus failing our "no pricks" test. The Benfica bloke isn't as good as they thought and is now well overpriced. Schick is now box office so we won't pay over the odds there - we never do.

I think we will end up starting with what we have unless someone we've been watching on the quiet suddenly becomes available. He'll be right out of left field and barely mentioned before now. I really wouldn't rule this out at all.

All just my opinion, but given that the squad is easily good enough to avoid relegation, there is simply no rush.

I need to remind you top 10 is the goal. And we are actively pursuing Darwin.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Of course we would like Schlick, but it seems kind of obvious? I think as the top scorer at the Euros many clubs would have noticed.

There’s several factors that need to converge to signing a player, and even if he does want to leave the country there’d be a queue of multiple clubs across Europe interested. We’d have no chance competing.

And even then he has to choose us. I suspect clubs have probably enquired about him though.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Completely agree.

Nunez is the complete package. Anyone who has any fears this guy is the new Locadia just look at the skills displayed in his highlights and remember that big clubs have been monitoring this guy.

Injuries are always a concern, as with any player. But we have to trust our medical team to do their due diligence if we should agree a signing.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
None of the strikers being mentioned seem to fit our modus operandi. The Celtic bloke is overpriced and has downed tools - thus failing our "no pricks" test………..All just my opinion, but given that the squad is easily good enough to avoid relegation, there is simply no rush.

‘Downed tools’? Interesting opinion.

I read quite a few complimentary remarks about Edouard on the BBC feed last night. Stuff like ‘best performance in months’ etc. Also got an assist and laid another few balls on that should have got goals.

“54'
Goal!
Goal! Heart of Midlothian 1, Celtic 1. Anthony Ralston (Celtic) left footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Odsonne Edouard”

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The Mail article indicates we are going for both Nunez AND Edouard!

Exciting if true. “We have bid for Ed and enquired for Nunez”.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I need to remind you top 10 is the goal. And we are actively pursuing Darwin.

No you don't need to remind me anything. Top 1 is actually the goal. The point I'm making is that whatever you think the goal is, it won't be challenged for at any cost.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Do you genuinely believe that?!

Of course we are.

I think we are seriously in for both in the knowledge that we’re highly unlikely to get either. There is a tiny tiny chance that we could end up with both but we need to show Celtic and Benfica that we are very serious NOW.

In the case we get both, we’d be shipping around 4 attacking players out ASAP but both Edouard and Nunez could play in the same team as they are both ‘footballers’ who can dribble, assist and pass very well indeed across the front line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here