Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens . . . either play him, or sell him..

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You don't know that

BUT I agree it might be more than 6 points - That said, you don't know what the discussions have been this week. Perhaps he thought easing him back into the team would be the best thing, given the goings on during the transfer window.

I had a feeling he would start from the bench yesterday but you cant start making the assumptions that if Dale Stephens players then we win. It's a team game and the others need to play well too, if we are to ensure we win matches.

Stephens is a good player but he is no Messiah

He is not the Messiah, but he is a very naughty boy :wink:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I thought Norwood had a decent game. He is similar to Stephens (although seems to play closer to the back four) which was the reason he was subbed. It wasnt on performance as otherwise Kayal would have been off.

Blimey, If that was a decent game, I'd hate to see him have a poor game.
His mistake led directly to the first goal, when we were well in the game. His penchant for playing ' hollywood ' passes...cutting across the ball with the outside of his foot, requires precision and perfect timing. Norwood had neither and time and time again, he overhit or underhit passes. He is lightweight and loses possession too easily and seems most comfortable sitting infront of the back four and rolling pretty little square balls around. He is not a physical presence and not a driving force in midfield. If he is going to be accomodated, CH has to play 4-1-4-1, with Norwood playing the Bridcutt role. He cannot play as one of two central midfielders.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Blimey, If that was a decent game, I'd hate to see him have a poor game.
His mistake led directly to the first goal, when we were well in the game. His penchant for playing ' hollywood ' passes...cutting across the ball with the outside of his foot, requires precision and perfect timing. Norwood had neither and time and time again, he overhit or underhit passes. He is lightweight and loses possession too easily and seems most comfortable sitting infront of the back four and rolling pretty little square balls around. He is not a physical presence and not a driving force in midfield. If he is going to be accomodated, CH has to play 4-1-4-1, with Norwood playing the Bridcutt role. He cannot play as one of two central midfielders.

Agree with your conclusion although I think you are a little harsh with the rest. Kayal was pretty anonymous so there wasnt a functioning central midfield. It highlights how important the Stephens/Kayal partnership is to the team and particularly the space they create for the wingers. On Saturday it seemed that Knockeart hardly ever received the ball in a dangerous position and consequently became too greedy.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
In response to the poster, it does appear to be strange to ward off a n £8m bid from Burnley and then not play DS. Again, it appears the club has tried to be too smart in its transfer dealings and has now left itself exposed to the player ending his contract here and becoming a free agent. He will either go in January for a much reduced fee, if he gets any game time and shows the form of last season, or he will see out his time here and move closer to home next August. Bozza hailed the keeping of Stephens as clear intent from the board that they were serious about this season, but overlooked the fact that in their seriousness, they forgot to sign a striker of any calibre. Stephens didn't leave the club because we failed to read the situation correctly, our failure to have been promoted on the occasion of Poyets second year and last year was the lack of planing and understanding from board level. A striker signed in the January window last year would have gained us promotion last year, this year we have the same problems with strikers, I struggle to see how the board think we can progress with the striking assets that we have.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In response to the poster, it does appear to be strange to ward off a n £8m bid from Burnley and then not play DS. Again, it appears the club has tried to be too smart in its transfer dealings and has now left itself exposed to the player ending his contract here and becoming a free agent. He will either go in January for a much reduced fee, if he gets any game time and shows the form of last season, or he will see out his time here and move closer to home next August. Bozza hailed the keeping of Stephens as clear intent from the board that they were serious about this season, but overlooked the fact that in their seriousness, they forgot to sign a striker of any calibre. Stephens didn't leave the club because we failed to read the situation correctly, our failure to have been promoted on the occasion of Poyets second year and last year was the lack of planing and understanding from board level. A striker signed in the January window last year would have gained us promotion last year, this year we have the same problems with strikers, I struggle to see how the board think we can progress with the striking assets that we have.

TB will not fund the 7-9 million required for a classy quick striker plus the minimum 30k a week wages which would break the wage structure, although GM is apparently on these wages. It's not my money so I can't really complain.

I am entertained, even when we lose so I don't mind staying in this division but how much longer will TB continue to fund the losses? Can't see us getting out of this division this year because....we don't have the strikers.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
TB will not fund the 7-9 million required for a classy quick striker plus the minimum 30k a week wages which would break the wage structure, although GM is apparently on these wages. It's not my money so I can't really complain.

Well £8m from the sale of DS would have made a sizeable contribution towards a striker of the price you state. Whats so disappointing is that the only striker identified by the club was Glen Murray on a loan and that was being banded about in March and April. The never even showed any intent on bringing in a lower league or overseas striker leaving us with Hemed, Baldock (4 goals last season) and Manu as contracted strikers and Murray as a loan striker. That line up will not get us promoted. As for TB not wanting to pay what you have suggested, that pretty much tells me about the ambition of the board, the failure to invest, when we came so close before, has cost us the big time money, do the board really have the belief or the stomach to get us to the prem?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

I am entertained, even when we lose so I don't mind staying in this division but how much longer will TB continue to fund the losses? Can't see us getting out of this division this year because....we don't have the strikers.

Actually, it is our money! Bloom may put in more individually but every one who buys a ticket, merchandise, etc, contributes to the finances of the club.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

TB was happy to shell out 4m on a CB and 2m on Norwood - neither player needed imo and could have funded this illusive striker that everyone is saying we need

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
TB was happy to shell out 4m on a CB and 2m on Norwood - neither player needed imo and could have funded this illusive striker that everyone is saying we need
Totally agree as Norwood is a defensive midfielder who slows games down and we don't normally use defensive defenders and I'm also baffled to why we spent so much on a CB who would be 3rd or 4th choice at best.
A striker or attacking midfielder was far more urgent :)

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Totally agree as Norwood is a defensive midfielder who slows games down and we don't normally use defensive defenders and I'm also baffled to why we spent so much on a CB who would be 3rd or 4th choice at best.
A striker or attacking midfielder was far more urgent :)

Yeah why spend that on a CB who on the face of it is not an upgrade on Goldy or Hunemeir

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A striker signed in the January window last year would have gained us promotion last year.
I think most of us would agree with that statement. Difficult to see how you can blame the board when the reason that striker didn't come was because his club refused to allow it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Whats so disappointing is that the only striker identified by the club was Glen Murray on a loan and that was being banded about in March and April. The never even showed any intent on bringing in a lower league or overseas striker ...

We tried to get Glenn Murray in January and several times before that.
The attacking option identified by the club was Alex Pritchard. Not only identified by the club but a fee and terms actually agreed with Spurs and the player. And would have involved TB stumping up £5m-£7m.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apart from the c£7m fee he'd agreed with Spurs for the classy quick striker Pritchard only a few weeks back.

We don't actually know what the purchase price and wages were but I doubt it was 30k+ a week plus 7-9 million for a player who has hardly played first team football above this level do you?

That would be an even bigger gamble than the club record we paid for CMS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here