Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens . . . either play him, or sell him..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must say that first impression of Duffty is not good enough . He wins headers like Steve Foster but is awful on the ground and cannot pass the ball most times it was a 40 yd cross field pass to Murphy, perhaps that is the instructions to him. Norwood is not another Stephens and does not play in conjunction with Kayal and most of his passes of over 5 yds either went to an opposition player or out of play It appears that both were panic buys and it stands out a mile that we are desperately suffering by missing out on signing a 4th striker.

Is this 1 season too far for Bruno, only time will tell.

The crux of the matter is we cannot sell Stephens until January so play him back alongside of Kayal and give ourselves a chance.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Because we need 4 central defenders during the season. Duffy has had a bit of a rough ride in the opinions passed on yesterday's game. He was hung out to dry by Bruno being out of position so many times and having his worst game for ages. He has only just arrived and needs time to settle down, today he was badly exposed by Bruno's shit game.

We also need 4 midfielders to cover for injuries/suspension and games where we play three across the middle.

I don't believe money was the problem getting a striker, more that we couldn't tempt one that would improve the team to come here. The one we did find, chose to sign for someone else at the 11th hour.

I am hoping yesterday was just a bad day rather than the result of things going on behind the scenes.

I don't think there is any connection between signing Duffy and Norwood and not signing a striker. We needed extra players in all three positions and the complete lack of pace upfront yesterday is a real worry to me. Not having that pacey striker is likely to cost us any chance of a top two and maybe even a top six finish.

Roll on Tuesday for our first six pointer :wink:

This with bells on, perfect summary.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I love the armchair managers. "We should have spent the money of a striker". Wow, if only CH and TB had thought of that. Obviously they just didn't think of it, and aren't as clever as the people on here!

Are you agreeing with the post I quoted or taking issue with it? Sorry if being thick, I can't quite tell.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I expect Stephens and Sidwell to start Tuesday.

Along with Skalak and Baldock.

The sooner the new left back and Goldson are
Deemed fit enough to start the better, get them straight in

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why the new left back Bong wasnt the problem yesterday? Goldson I agree with and i wonder is it time to throw Hunte in as he is a good right back, young yes but two footed and pacy.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Why the new left back Bong wasnt the problem yesterday? Goldson I agree with and i wonder is it time to throw Hunte in as he is a good right back, young yes but two footed and pacy.

No, I wouldn't agree about throwing a young player in just yet. We've had a blip at home. Not a time to panic. We need experience and a steadying of the ship.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Shame no one has mentioned how well Brentford played yesterday. They had us sussed , and counter-attacked perfectly. The body language from our players is negative, Knockaert was having a good old moan up. To me, something at the club is array. Spoke to a Brentford supporter after the game, congratulated him on their goal scorer, who came from Rochdale and has been injured for 2 years.........step up Hambo !!!!!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Starting on Tuesday is not frigging good enough. He should have started yesterday. His antics have now cost us at least 6 points.

You don't know that

BUT I agree it might be more than 6 points - That said, you don't know what the discussions have been this week. Perhaps he thought easing him back into the team would be the best thing, given the goings on during the transfer window.

I had a feeling he would start from the bench yesterday but you cant start making the assumptions that if Dale Stephens players then we win. It's a team game and the others need to play well too, if we are to ensure we win matches.

Stephens is a good player but he is no Messiah

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You don't know that

BUT I agree it might be more than 6 points - That said, you don't know what the discussions have been this week. Perhaps he thought easing him back into the team would be the best thing, given the goings on during the transfer window.

I had a feeling he would start from the bench yesterday but you cant start making the assumptions that if Dale Stephens players then we win. It's a team game and the others need to play well too, if we are to ensure we win matches.

Stephens is a good player but he is no Messiah

He is not the Messiah but without him Kayal is a fraction of the player he was last season and with him and Kayal in unison we would probably have stopped Woods controlling the game as Shelvey also did at Newcastle.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He is not the Messiah but without him Kayal is a fraction of the player he was last season and with him and Kayal in unison we would probably have stopped Woods controlling the game as Shelvey also did at Newcastle.

Well lets look forward to Tuesday then

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
That comment probably sums up why you're not a rocket scientist or a football manager. Clueless might be an indicator regarding your good self.

Yeah i thought it was frankly ridiculous but probably just trying to get a rise out of NSC

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Should have played him in every game so far, to make the club's intentions clear, all this poncing about is madness.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Absolutely right. Beram Kayal only seems a fraction of his usual self without his mate Dale alongside him. Make no mistake, those two playing together in tandem, was one of the major factors in why we did so well last season.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Should have played him in every game so far, to make the club's intentions clear, all this poncing about is madness.

Stephens with "his head not in the right place" or whatever nonsense the club was spouting before the window shut, would have still been a much more effective option than the alternatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here