Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens . . . either play him, or sell him..

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Have to agree with the op. Ok the whole team was off their game today but I do believe Kayal/Stephens form the start would have been better. Not picking Stephens has backfired, if we would have won the match today, then Hughton could play it cool, as if Stephens hasn't had any effect on the team. But now after that terrible performance, he will most likely (have to) start him, more power to the player, and the manager that has to admit that he should've played one of his star players.
I do think the team is unsettled at the moment, there is no way we would have lost to such a poor team as Brentford at home last season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can only guess that we signed Norwood because we thought Stephens was on his way - certainly doesn't look any better than kayal or Stephens - a downgrade signing

I thought it was because we needed four players - Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell and Norwood - to cover the two midfield positions.

(Towell having famously disappeared in the Lancing Triangle, of course).

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
The club have gambled and appear this time to have got it wrong. They chose not to sell Stephens given that they have one more chance to sell in January. The hope was that he would knuckle down and ensure we were competing for promotion. Then perhaps like Dunk he could be persuaded to sign a new contract. It worked with Dunk but not it seems with Stephens. Now it seems we have a disaffected player who will be worth far less to sell in January or could hold on and go for nothing in the summer.

Probably due to all this, the team spirit seems to have gone. We can only speculate whether there are also problems with the likes of Lualua and Kayal. Can't blame the club apart from perhaps their signing of inadequate cover. I'm not expecting a lot this season. The big loss would be if CH goes at the end of the year.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I thought Norwood had a decent game. He is similar to Stephens (although seems to play closer to the back four) which was the reason he was subbed. It wasnt on performance as otherwise Kayal would have been off.

That's the problem with Norwood though. Very capable player from what we've seen and a useful addition but, reading old interviews, he feels his best position is sitting deeper. No pairing we have has the same energetic dynamic of Kayal/Stephens - always backing each other up and setting the tone for pressing opponents. That's why we couldn't afford to sell him and keeping that duo together was probably even more important than signing another striker. I think all the midfielders are decent Championship players now and can do a job but it'll take time to find a way of playing that makes the team as effective when they start.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Now it seems we have a disaffected player who will be worth far less to sell in January or could hold on and go for nothing in the summer.

He didn't look disaffected when he came on. One challenge in particular could have been a real ankle breaker but no hint of pulling out. Don't think I buy into this team spirit business. Haven't seen anything unusual. The team has just not been playing at its best, with a few off form and new signings to integrate, and yesterday players were frustrated.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
He didn't look disaffected when he came on. One challenge in particular could have been a real ankle breaker but no hint of pulling out. Don't think I buy into this team spirit business. Haven't seen anything unusual. The team has just not been playing at its best, with a few off form and new signings to integrate, and yesterday players were frustrated.

Agree. Lets wait and see after a few more games before we jump to conclusions about team spirit or the Stephens situation. it was poor yesterday, no doubt about that, but time will tell if we are in for a disappointing season, or not. The first two home matches saw some good performances, and the transfer window saga was just as alive then, so be patient. Tuesday may well be good and then the tone on NSC will be different!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The return of Stephens with Kayal and Goldson with Dunk and I think we have a chance on Tuesday

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree with that.

So why buy Duffy?

Should have spent the money we spent on him and Norwood on a Striker.

Because we need 4 central defenders during the season. Duffy has had a bit of a rough ride in the opinions passed on yesterday's game. He was hung out to dry by Bruno being out of position so many times and having his worst game for ages. He has only just arrived and needs time to settle down, today he was badly exposed by Bruno's shit game.

We also need 4 midfielders to cover for injuries/suspension and games where we play three across the middle.

I don't believe money was the problem getting a striker, more that we couldn't tempt one that would improve the team to come here. The one we did find, chose to sign for someone else at the 11th hour.

I am hoping yesterday was just a bad day rather than the result of things going on behind the scenes.

I don't think there is any connection between signing Duffy and Norwood and not signing a striker. We needed extra players in all three positions and the complete lack of pace upfront yesterday is a real worry to me. Not having that pacey striker is likely to cost us any chance of a top two and maybe even a top six finish.

Roll on Tuesday for our first six pointer :wink:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Norwood was a waste of money plays too deep not the answer a panic buy in case we lost Stephens.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That's the problem with Norwood though. Very capable player from what we've seen and a useful addition but, reading old interviews, he feels his best position is sitting deeper. No pairing we have has the same energetic dynamic of Kayal/Stephens - always backing each other up and setting the tone for pressing opponents.

Totally agree. Norwood sitting deep was leaving gaps all around Kayal and he was unable to press their midfield, that played a big part in slowing the game down when we had the ball.
I'm not saying Norwood is a bad player, but he doesn't work in a 442 playing his natural game. He either needs to adapt or we need an extra midfielder when he's playing.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The club have gambled and appear this time to have got it wrong. They chose not to sell Stephens given that they have one more chance to sell in January. The hope was that he would knuckle down and ensure we were competing for promotion.

Probably due to all this, the team spirit seems to have gone. We can only speculate whether there are also problems with the likes of Lualua and Kayal. Can't blame the club apart from perhaps their signing of inadequate cover. I'm not expecting a lot this season. The big loss would be if CH goes at the end of the year.

Middlesborough lost 9 games last season including home defeats versus Bristol and Forest.
Burnley lost at home to Preston & Reading
We have 40 games left.
I'd wait a few more months for the post mortems...

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Because we need 4 central defenders during the season. Duffy has had a bit of a rough ride in the opinions passed on yesterday's game. He was hung out to dry by Bruno being out of position so many times and having his worst game for ages. He has only just arrived and needs time to settle down, today he was badly exposed by Bruno's shit game.

We also need 4 midfielders to cover for injuries/suspension and games where we play three across the middle.

I don't believe money was the problem getting a striker, more that we couldn't tempt one that would improve the team to come here. The one we did find, chose to sign for someone else at the 11th hour.

I am hoping yesterday was just a bad day rather than the result of things going on behind the scenes.

I don't think there is any connection between signing Duffy and Norwood and not signing a striker. We needed extra players in all three positions and the complete lack of pace upfront yesterday is a real worry to me. Not having that pacey striker is likely to cost us any chance of a top two and maybe even a top six finish.

Roll on Tuesday for our first six pointer :wink:

Too early to judge Duffy. I am sure he can settle in well, just better to have two who know each other against the leaders on Tuesday.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Middlesborough lost 9 games last season including home defeats versus Bristol and Forest.
Burnley lost at home to Preston & Reading
We have 40 games left.
I'd wait a few more months for the post mortems...
Spot on.. Season is a 46 games not 6.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Should have cashed in and we'll sell him for 2-3 million in January I'm sure....should have sold and recruited well but time will tell if Stephens is actually goner put the effort in or not...the latter is likely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here