Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley Town and their amazing crowds!

As pointed out by others, just a friendly.

However, the seasons attendance figures tend to suggest the bubble bursting is not true.

Att average 2011/2 3,212
Att average 2012/3 3,408

% increase 6 %

Up by less than 200 after two promotions on the bounce??? How many were accounted for by bigger away followings,i think this helps proves they have hit the ceiling :rolleyes:

Average of 521 away fans at the broadfield:moo:

Last edited:

Phil B

Jul 27, 2004
Ifield, Crawley
The ceiling being around the 5,700 - 5,900 mark. Or up to ground capacity in fact.

Not many showed increases last season. And as we all know, it takes time to build fanbases.

One step at a time. Although we have found that many think attendances are the be all and end all in the League.

I'd worry more about the results and style of play, personally.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Crawley is full of football fans, but nearly all with allegiances to longer established league sides. If they maintain their League 1 status or even manage a spell in the Championship it will grow. Ticket prices are a bit steep, as they were for us at Withdean, considering the division and the facilities though.

But the problem they have, that we didn't then, is that FFP exists now.
If you're only averaging 3.5k fans every fortnight, the gate receipts are miniscule. This means that their budget is tiny.
Expect them to go down this year (especially if Barker goes elsewhere)

The ceiling being around the 5,700 - 5,900 mark. Or up to ground capacity in fact.

Not many showed increases last season. And as we all know, it takes time to build fanbases.

One step at a time. Although we have found that many think attendances are the be all and end all in the League.

I'd worry more about the results and style of play, personally.

If its anything like their youth set up it will be lump it up to the big man:facepalm:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Feel sorry for them really regarding their crowds. They have got a fair size catchment area, Crawley/Horsham must be 130k, saying that I don't know what transport is like to The Broadfield from surrounding areas. Maybe it's something they ought to look at.
Sadly for Crawley there's a fair number of plastics in that area who support Brighton as opposed to their local team.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Leave Crawley alone, I see it as Brighton is a football club for Sussex people, so don't start calling Crawley people plastics...

Brighton 1st and Crawley 2nd they are our Sussex neighbours and not rivals, are rivals are those Surrey Bum's over the border !

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Sadly for Crawley there's a fair number of plastics in that area who support Brighton as opposed to their local team.

I suspect most people that live there either support the arse or Chelsea

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
May be I should support Eastbourne Borough, As your calling me and others plastic Brighton Fan ???
No. I can see it might have read like that but actually it was a dig at those who say that you should support your local club regardless. People can get all self-righteous and moan at fans who live in Sussex but support London clubs, but apparently it's alright to live in the Crawley area and support Brighton as opposed to the local, smaller league team. And as you point out how 'local' is 'local'? Shouldn't people from Eastbourne, Lewes, Worthing, etc support their local teams and not the big side down the coast? (No is the answer).

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
Bought tickets for Villareal last night, looking at the seat plan, at the moment it looks like there will be less than 5000 going. Oh no, has OUR bubble burst?:ffsparr:

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Looking forward to this too, hopefully more of the first team, play this time vs last year?

5 min walk home after the game too, lovely.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why does anybody give a toss about crowds for pre-season friendlies?

Most people aren't interested in such games, the only reason we've had half decent crowds for ours in recent years is because of the Amex factor. Personally I'm not bothered about the upcoming friendlies so will most likely give them the swerve, but it doesn't mean I'm losing interest or won't turn up next season.

Friendlies are nearly always rubbish games so it's hardly a sign of anything if people don't go.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Why does anybody give a toss about crowds for pre-season friendlies?

Exactly, in general terms friendly crowds are always low, unless its a big ticket premier team....or Real Madrid etc.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Crawley is full of football fans, but nearly all with allegiances to longer established league sides. If they maintain their League 1 status or even manage a spell in the Championship it will grow. Ticket prices are a bit steep, as they were for us at Withdean, considering the division and the facilities though.

Yeah I remember coming back to Brighton on the train one evening a couple of years and about ten fans all wearing Chelsea shirts got off at Three Bridges.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
You go to Crawley high st and all you see are premiership shirts, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, United etc etc.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I'm sure it's to do with the fact that Crawley is basically full of Londoners who came down in the 50's and 60's due to the new housing. I hear they could basically pick the house they wanted to live in!

Anyway slightly OT, but has anyone got their ticket for the friendly tomorrow? I ordered mine via the Crawley website last week, but still no ticket

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here