Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

County Council Election Results

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What the UKIP vote is showing, is a big swing to the right of the UK voting public.

If the Tories are sensible, they will hoover up these votes at the next GE

I would politely disagree and suggest that it reflects the Euroscepticism rather than something right wing, they don't neccessarily add up to the same thing.

A lurch to the right will not get the Tories a majority at the next general election.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Lib-Dems have retained their seat in my ward in Worthing, Tories pushed in to 3rd place behind UKIP though. Could be a real bun fight here when we get to the General.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't think you can doubt that UKIP comes from a right wing perspective, however, what about the plan to remove tax on the minimum wage? It's a right wing liberal philosophy (low tax, anti- state intervention, pro-private industry, anti minimum wage) but should appeal to vast tranches of the country. There's something very Thatcherite about it.

In fact, I think it's a very clever piece of work & whilst I would never vote for them personally, demonstrates a degree of thought that seems fairly alien to the 3 main parties at the moment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In fact, I think it's a very clever piece of work & whilst I would never vote for them personally, demonstrates a degree of thought that seems fairly alien to the 3 main parties at the moment.

I agree with this view. There is a lamentable lack of passion, inspiration and creativity across the 3 main parties, and UKIP are cleaning up in this regard. The Tories philiosophy seems to be "if you build it they will come", i.e. reduce taxes, keep interest low and, er, wait for the economy to right itself. Getting the infrastructure right is half the battle - the other half is to help small businesses, high streets, cutting red tape, support local Chambers Of Trade etc? I see very little evidence of this.

Another UKIP councillor elected in Bexhill King Offa ward (together with a Conservative).

Final result, after all East Sussex County Council seats declared:-

Conservative 20 seats (2009: 29 seats)
Liberal Democrat 10 seats (2009: 13 seats)
Labour 7 seats (2009: 4 seats)
UK Independence 7 seats (2009: 0 seats)
Independent / No Description 5 seats (2009: 3 seats)

No overall control
Turnout: 33%

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think you can doubt that UKIP comes from a right wing perspective, however, what about the plan to remove tax on the minimum wage? It's a right wing liberal philosophy (low tax, anti- state intervention, pro-private industry, anti minimum wage) but should appeal to vast tranches of the country.

But they haven't really thought out at a tax policy. The policy at the last election was to increase taxes for most people, which wasn't really a vote winner. They now want to reduce them but, as someone pointed out earlier, allied to this reduction in tax and accompanying revenue (and there are plans to cut indirect taxes too), there are lots of commitments to spend more - big increase in defence, more people sent to prison for longer, education vouchers, student grants etc - and no indication how the shortfall between income and revenue is going to be tackled.

If it wants to be taken seriously as a party, it does need to look at this because now it's made this push, it's going to be taken more seriously.

Personally, I'm sceptical. I remember the panic in 1976 when the NF started polling double figures, or when the BNP did in the early noughties, there was talk of an electoral breakthrough then and it didn't happen. UKIP has a better, more charismatic leader but I can't see them becoming anything more than an irritant, with Farage destined to go down in history as nothing more than an English Poujade.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
But they haven't really thought out at a tax policy. The policy at the last election was to increase taxes for most people, which wasn't really a vote winner. They now want to reduce them but, as someone pointed out earlier, allied to this reduction in tax and accompanying revenue (and there are plans to cut indirect taxes too), there are lots of commitments to spend more - big increase in defence, more people sent to prison for longer, education vouchers, student grants etc - and no indication how the shortfall between income and revenue is going to be tackled.

If it wants to be taken seriously as a party, it does need to look at this because now it's made this push, it's going to be taken more seriously.

Personally, I'm sceptical. I remember the panic in 1976 when the NF started polling double figures, or when the BNP did in the early noughties, there was talk of an electoral breakthrough then and it didn't happen. UKIP has a better, more charismatic leader but I can't see them becoming anything more than an irritant, with Farage destined to go down in history as nothing more than an English Poujade.

According to senior figures in UKIP at the weekend haven't really thought out any policy. The moment they become serious challengers for seats they'll come unstuck, they are not credible as a party of power. They are however a significant party of protest.

I only hope that when it comes to the general election the Labour party challenges the myths that they peddle rather pander to them. (they won't)

The other thing that we will now have the opportunity to learn about UKIP is how their elected representatives perform in office. To speculate only about the one UKIP councillor that I know personally, I don't expect him to impress.

The downfall of the BNP in electoral terms isn't only attributable to their unpleasant policies (or lack of them), but also to the total incompetence of those BNP councillors who managed to exploit a particular protest vote in the few areas where they did manage to win a few seats.

Council elections aren't just about winning votes, they are about putting people into public office, where people who haven't thought beyond election day often find that the responsibilities are beyond them. The electorate soon realises what it has done and learns not to do it again.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
According to senior figures in UKIP at the weekend haven't really thought out any policy. The moment they become serious challengers for seats they'll come unstuck, they are not credible as a party of power. They are however a significant party of protest.

I only hope that when it comes to the general election the Labour party challenges the myths that they peddle rather pander to them. (they won't)

I hope you are right, but there are millions of people out there (probably quite a lot of them natural labour supporters) that only care about immigration and Europe.

I hope you are right, but there are millions of people out there (probably quite a lot of them natural labour supporters) that only care about immigration and Europe.
Indeed. But they've just elected people who will have no responsibilities for immigration or Europe, but who do have a duty to run adult social care and children's services and manage waste disposal and libraries.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

But when people are asked what are the big issues facing the UK, Europe never features in the top five. And that's been consistent for decades now - immigration does, but Europe never.

Here's the latest Ipsos monthly index on political issues
Ipsos MORI | Poll | Economist/Ipsos MORI March 2013 Issues Index
no Europe in top 10 ... again

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Go on then - what myths are they then ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Duplicate post for some reason !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here