Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

County Council Election Results

Dandyman

In London village.
Very pleased for Ruth O'Keeffe in Lewes. 59.5% of the vote for a genuine progressive independent.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You missed out a full stop at the end of your sentence. Not that I want to be nitpicking. By the way what is the significance of the pretentious French quotation?

I quite often leave full stops off the end of closing sentences on here - it doesn't look quite right.

I've loved that quotation since I was about 18. I could put Coldean down as my location but isn't the whole idea about being an NSC user is having a degree of personalisation. That's why people have different avatars, different quotes or different locations

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Surely the question for Cameron 'what do i do to stop Ukip' ? Without doubt it seems most of those voting Ukip are former Tory voters but neither Labour or Liberals are safe from Ukip and both parties did badly (forget what Labour tell you) and everytime Ukip put up Farage on T/V no waffle straight to the point all the time.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
30% turn out , few of whom are actually well represented by the parties they're voting for - is this democracy??

Nope, it isn't :( It's a shame, however I really do believe since it's difficult to put a cigarette paper between the three. It's easy to become apathetic. America's worse, I mean 50% is registered to vote, and not even 25% of the registered vote....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surely the question for Cameron 'what do i do to stop Ukip' ?

Is it though? For all the bluster, UKIP has gained 139 seats out of a total of (approx) 2,500. It's a party that has no MPs and controls no councils. Given that Cameron was defending an exceptionally large number of council seats and given that's it perfectly normal for governments to lose votes mid-term, he could think that it could have been a lot worse.

And as I, and others, have pointed out, UKIP can't get by on being a protest party for ever, sooner or later they're going to have to come up with coherent policies and when they do, some of those votes will come back to the Tories.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Meet one of the new East Sussex UKIP councillors:-
Ukip Candidate Laurence Keeley Jailed For Burning Pig Heads And Spinal Cords Wins Council Seat

Interestingly, one of the criterias for membership of UKIP is that you have not belonged to the BNP/EDL/NF and other extreme right wing parties, have serious mental health issues or have a criminal record. Spot the inconsistency!

Hmmmm .....Jonathan Atkin, Chris Huhne, David Chaytor - the list could go on and on and on. If you're going to throw mud then at the very least you should ensure it's a balanced mud !

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
Is it though? For all the bluster, UKIP has gained 139 seats out of a total of (approx) 2,500. It's a party that has no MPs and controls no councils. Given that Cameron was defending an exceptionally large number of council seats and given that's it perfectly normal for governments to lose votes mid-term, he could think that it could have been a lot worse.

And as I, and others, have pointed out, UKIP can't get by on being a protest party for ever, sooner or later they're going to have to come up with coherent policies and when they do, some of those votes will come back to the Tories.

If UKIP take even 10-15% in a general election, it will make an absolute lottery of the results in marginal constituencies. 23% would leave the two major parties still holding large numbers of seats but only 20-something% of the popular vote. It would be a political shambles.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If UKIP take even 10-15% in a general election, it will make an absolute lottery of the results in marginal constituencies. 23% would leave the two major parties still holding large numbers of seats but only 20-something% of the popular vote. It would be a political shambles.

They would def gain votes from the Tories and a few from the Lib-Dems which might let Labour in. We could well be living through " Interesting Times "

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I really don't get what UKIP stand for other than EU, immigration, denying climate change and wanting a more unfair society with a 'flat tax'.

Any UKIP voters here that can tell me why you voted for them?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Mid Sussex Tories rule ok bucked the trend just shows what can be done if you work hard for the local community ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Why would it be? That's been the constant complaint of the Liberals (or LDs) for years. Look at the 1983 General Election where Labour polled just 2% more than the SDP/Lib Alliance and got 180 odd more seats. Why was that not a shambles but would be if UKIP did (and the Alliance got more than the 23% you quote)?

That's the way it crumbles in a FPTP system. What would be even more interesting would be if the Greens picked up too, couple with a large vote for the SNP/PC, you could have a government elected with under 25% of the popular vote - and a low turnout, the support of just, say, 15% of the electorate - that would lead to interesting times

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Criterias! :facepalm:

Don't like nitpicking on spelling or grammar but that's just horrible

Fancy being British and not having a command of Ancient Greek!

D

Deleted member 22389

I really don't get what UKIP stand for other than EU, immigration, denying climate change and wanting a more unfair society with a 'flat tax'.

Any UKIP voters here that can tell me why you voted for them?

I voted for them for those very reasons. My thinking is the following, your not going to help fix anything if you keep allowing more and more people to flood in to this country, and in order to do that we first need to be able to gain some power back from Brussels. For a lot of people there is a sense that we are paying a lot of money out and getting nothing back.

The whole point of being in Europe is to allow free movement of people and trading for business. The trading part is good but the movement of people is not. Everyone has headed our way from poorer parts of the EU, and hardly anybody has gone the other way. That to me is a failure and why I feel so negative about it.

UKIP has caught the public mood just at the right time. It was the same for Labour. Blair was the peoples politician at the time, people where fed up with The Tories and wanted change. I doubt anyone looked at Labour policies at the time. This time around people have had enough of all three parties, not just on immigration but other issues. The MP's expenses scandal, the banks, fuel prices for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Mid Sussex Tories rule ok bucked the trend just shows what can be done if you work hard for the local community ?

Good results for the Conservatives in Mid-Sussex, especially in Burgess Hill where the Lib Dems vote has totally collapsed.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Just look at the UKIP forums, or better their unmoderated twitter accounts. You then see their cancerous underbelly. Their policies will eventually come under scrutiny, but more importantly so will their key members. Until then, if the current Conservative Hot Coals Dancing competition is anything to go by, they are already having influence. However, it is power they want and there policies will begin to verge on a form of acceptable extremism. Politically speaking, things are serious.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Just goes to show that the sheeple are waking up. Brussels (Germany and France) tell us what to do....and we just doff our cap and do it. The HR act is a joke.
Let's not forget Labour opened the doors, ruined this country by backing everyone bar the people of England and other madcap policies, and the Tories are continuing the trend. As for the LibDems :lol:.

I see the fly past by the Lancaster bomber and two spitfires has also been cancelled from the opening of the Champions League final as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here