Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

County Council Election Results

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Absolutely. People now don't vote "for" parties, they vote against and put the tick for whoever's left. Ukip are appalling but when the alternaives are these Cons, Labour or the laughable LibDems then you can understand it.

Spot on. I've never been so apathetic to voting as I am now.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Bloody hell!

UKIP win the ward I live in (Ouse Valley East) - previously LibDem (and, once upon a time, Norman Baker's stronghold).

I've known the new councillor for years. He's a complete idiot, with not a clue about anything.

Westdene Seagull would have voted for him though.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
UKIP has taken Lancing with 1323 votes compared to the Conservatives' 505 votes in second place

Peacehaven and Telscombe ward returns two UKIP councillors - meaning that the Conservatives have definitely lost overall control of East Sussex County Council.

Current state of the parties:-
Conservative 11 seats
Liberal Democrat 10 seats
Labour 7 seats
UK Independence 5 seats
Independent 3 seats
Still to Declare 13 seats

NSC has taken an interest in Lewes District politics for quite a few years. The final share of County Council seats in Lewes is:-

UKIP 4 seats
Lib Dems 3 seats
Independent 1 seat
Conservatives 1 seat

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
NSC has taken an interest in Lewes District politics for quite a few years. The final share of County Council seats in Lewes is:-

UKIP 4 seats
Lib Dems 3 seats
Independent 1 seat
Conservatives 1 seat

Just to think, for all those years of struggle we thought Lewes was full of touchy-feely shrub-lovers.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
What the UKIP vote is showing, is a big swing to the right of the UK voting public.

If the Tories are sensible, they will hoover up these votes at the next GE

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Also, Ed M said that the South was the real acid test of their supposed increased popularity. Flatlining massively in the South now

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Westdene Seagull would have voted for him though.

Possibly - depends on the other candidates. Yet again the "vote UKIP and you're an idiot" mentality - it only fuels the revolution against the main three parties. Unfortunately many people don't seem to understand this and just want to go along with the three FAILED main parties.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What the UKIP vote is showing, is a big swing to the right of the UK voting public.

It's not though, Labour in the 80's was against the EU and the trade unions have stated that membership of the EU has driven down wages. How is that right wing ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But this is what regularly destroys their party; the constant struggle to reconcile the centre-right of the party with the far-righters. If Cameron lurches to the right to collect these votes then he leave a vacuum in the middle ground.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

That's not going to happen, cue EU pledge, in-fighting and leadership challenges leading the door open for Labour. The Tories aren't sensible people unfortunately, as I was going to vote for them, but didn't.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
We shall see.

Westdene - I take your point, but I don't think there is much disputing that UKIP are a right-wing party.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
It's not though, Labour in the 80's was against the EU and the trade unions have stated that membership of the EU has driven down wages. How is that right wing ?

How about UKIP's other policies, which are right wing? Such as being anti gay marriage?

I think leaving the EU, seen to be looking inwards rather than outwards, is a right wing view. (Not necessarily a bad thing)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here