Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Conway

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is such a nonsense argument. Ulloa wasn't playing. I could ping balls into the box in my 6-a-side team and say 'well if Van Persie had been playing we would have scored". If his game is just hitting the ball into the box and hoping that there is a big strong striker in there to put the ball in the net then he isn't up to standard. This is Championship football, not Sunday League.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that is his game at all, he doesn't deserve some of the criticism be comes in for, but the whole "if Ulloa was playing" argument doesn't stack up. If Ronaldo was playing instead of Crofts then we probably would have scored a couple of our outside the box half chances.

My remark was made in the context of the thread title that he is the worst loan signing we've ever made. The fact he can get repeat crosses into the 6-yard box by itself disproves the OP.

And I disagree that the fact Ulloa is out is irrelevant. If you have a guy who can cross the ball then hang on to him. We let Noone go because he couldn't cross, Conway is clearly better in that department. I'm sure if Chas and Dave were up front for Spurs Andros Townsend's stats would look shabby too.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Feel sorry for Solly March. Had a great pre-season, Lua Lua gets injured and Brighton bring in a Conway to replace him.
March hasn't been given a chance yet, doesn't look like he'll be going out on loan this season either.

Conway does a job, I feel he would have more impact if Ulloa was playing and hitting that six-yard box every time a cross was put in.

March is very young, he might have bundles of potential but I really see no reason to start him unless absolutely necessary at this stage in his career. He'll be gaining a lot by training with the first team and traveling with them, something even JFC didn't get much of in the last couple of seasons. Look how long it has taken JFC to come through but we are certainly benefiting now. I don't think we should be rushing him he has plenty of time to develop.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
March is very young, he might have bundles of potential but I really see no reason to start him unless absolutely necessary at this stage in his career. He'll be gaining a lot by training with the first team and traveling with them, something even JFC didn't get much of in the last couple of seasons. Look how long it has taken JFC to come through but we are certainly benefiting now. I don't think we should be rushing him he has plenty of time to develop.

Yeah, good points. There's nothing worse than putting too much pressure and expectation on a local lad...A la Jake Robinson.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
He is a defensive winger....Ideal for Garcia's/Jones defensive football strategy. If we had brought on Lita and gone to 4-4-2 in last 20 minutes we have got 3 points. Maybe against Barnsley we might be adventurous and play a fit again Bridcutt just behind a recalled Al Abd.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
He is a decent player and got into good positions today - but then did absolutely nothing with the ball and often kept running with it instead of passing - then being tackled by an AFCB player.

He needs to be a lot less selfish.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think a big problem, maybe highlighted by my front row seats today, is that Conway & Ward appear to be really struggling to read what the other is doing or what they want them to do. I was surprised by the dialogue between them and a frustrating interplay throughout the 2nd half at least. Definitely something that needs working on between them as it was forced at times although saying that there were a few glimpses of them working brilliantly together. Could flourish as the season progresses.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
I think a big problem, maybe highlighted by my front row seats today, is that Conway & Ward appear to be really struggling to read what the other is doing or what they want them to do. I was surprised by the dialogue between them and a frustrating interplay throughout the 2nd half at least. Definitely something that needs working on between them as it was forced at times although saying that there were a few glimpses of them working brilliantly together. Could flourish as the season progresses.

I think Conway after a dodgy start is now doing well, he was excellent at Wigan, as was being pointed out to me at the time, so was aware how intelligent off the ball he was as well as working back there.

Yesterday I thought Conway and Ward consistently possessed a threat whenever they looked to combine in second half and Bournemouth were scared of his shooting ability which is why when he cut inside he met so many bodies.

Would have liked to have seen Lita come on prob instead of Orlandi, with gift of hindsight

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think Conway after a dodgy start is now doing well, he was excellent at Wigan, as was being pointed out to me at the time, so was aware how intelligent off the ball he was as well as working back there.

Yesterday I thought Conway and Ward consistently possessed a threat whenever they looked to combine in second half and Bournemouth were scared of his shooting ability which is why when he cut inside he met so many bodies.

Would have liked to have seen Lita come on prob instead of Orlandi, with gift of hindsight

Agreed. I felt that Orlandi seemed to give the ball away so much. He clearly needs game time.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Opinions but thought Orlandi utter gash when on . Clearly not fit but be better for those minutes yesterday

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
At Wigan Conway had a fair bit of success feigning to go outside the full back and then cutting back to play a chipped cross in on his favoured right foot. Bournemouth covered this move with an additional player stopping the cross. He therefore went across the pitch quite often and wasn't as effective. When he did go on the outside he drilled his crosses over which were too fast for other forwards. Doubt all teams will do their defensive homework as well as Eddie Howe.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Agreed. Very very poor so far.

Eh??......he has been improving game by game, and if our striker had been....well,... a striker yesterday.....he might just have got onto at least one of the two killer crosses that Conway crafted himself in the 2nd half......armchair supporters.....pah!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Has there ever been a worse loan signing than this shit limp?

What a waste of breath, he should walk out of the ground now and begin his long journey back to South Wales as he is as useful as Ryan Harley.

Agreed. Very very poor so far.

Well named...after a bus station as he has the turning circle of a bus

Conway is league 1 at best....if you can't see this - i question your football knowledge.

control - average.
passing - average.
vision - woeful.
positioning - average.
crossing - above average....hence why he plays as a winger.
dribbling - woeful.
shooting - nobody knows as never had a shot.
tacking - nobody knows as never made a tackle.

Acceptable performance today, but he'll be quickly forgotten when he leaves.

I applaud you all

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That was then, this is now. What a performance today, worked hard, scored and was a constant threat.

Fair play to him, he has shut up a lot of people today.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
That was then, this is now. What a performance today, worked hard, scored and was a constant threat.

Fair play to him, he has shut up a lot of people today.

So, you've learnt not to write players off after a month? Glad you've seen the light.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here