Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contact Tracing App

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
To be fair to them, they have been consistently saying that this once key element is now the cherry, ever since it missed it's roll out date 2 weeks ago (and possibly before that when it was obvious it wasn't going to happen) ???

In fact, here is the opening post of the thread

Gov saying the AP is ready but it won't be beneficial to roll it out until the end of June

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So we'll assume that the whole app thing is a 'cherry' and isn't and was never a crucial part of the Track and Trace system the Government have just 'launched'.

Coronavirus test and trace system 'won't be fully operational until end of June', MPs told today

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-28/coronavirus-test-and-trace-scheme-launch-government-covid-19/

The UK Is Taking A Lot Longer Than Other Countries To Process Coronavirus Tests And Give People Their Results

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/uk-coronavirus-test-trace-trace-results

So when someone gets a positive test result, 5 days or longer after the test, the contact tracer (if the system is up and running by the end of June) will contact everyone they have been in contact with in the last 5 days or more, to 'warn them' they may be infected. Then, if they get any symptoms, they can then book a test, get it done and wait the 5+ days for the result.

Can't see any problems with this process, whatsoever :facepalm:

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So I gather have the AP is no longer that important. Heard someone in government say its the cherry on the cake but not the cake??

I was very supportive of this government at the beginning of the epidemic, despite my general views of Boris and the tories, but I hardly think it worth listening to a word they say now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The NHS Test and Trace system, which has been set up to prevent a second wave of coronavirus infections, is not expected to be “world-class” until September or October, according to leaked comments from a senior official.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-test-trace-system-contact-tracing-coronavirus-prestedge-boris-johnson-a9550046.html#gsc.tab=0

A week after Hancock announced it was delivered. Well who could have seen that coming :rolleyes:

Christ we'll have all had it by then.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The NHS Test and Trace system, which has been set up to prevent a second wave of coronavirus infections, is not expected to be “world-class” until September or October, according to leaked comments from a senior official.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-test-trace-system-contact-tracing-coronavirus-prestedge-boris-johnson-a9550046.html#gsc.tab=0

A week after Hancock announced it was delivered. Well who could have seen that coming :rolleyes:
We'll get a vaccine sooner than the app.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Where is the Cummins 2.0 app? Wasted weeks...

Seems ministers are considering switching the app over to tech developed by Apple and Google, FFS why didn't they do this in ther first instead of re-inventing the wheel? Exceptionalism again...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So 67% of people identified as close contacts for those with symptoms, of which 85% agree to self isolate (on the phone, but what idiot would say no), so if you had a core data of 100,000 people, only 57,000 of those would self isolate (maybe), not really going to work, is it...!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Being a simple person. I thought track and trace would be simple.

Step 1.
If you had symptoms you would go to your nearest track and trace drive through and get a test. (You would not need to book for later in the week, wait for a mobile testing centre to be set up, or check the post each morning to see if you had been posted your test yet).

Step 2.
You would be notified, via the app, the response within 24 hrs, and, if positive, all your close contacts recorded on the app would also be notified immediately.

Step 3.
Those who had been in close contact with someone now diagnosed positive would immediately go into self isolation, within 24 hrs of the original test.

But, as I say, after listening to Matt Hancock and Baroness Harding, ex CEO of Talk Talk, I obviously don't understand how complicated the process is and how many days (or weeks it can take to carry out) :facepalm:

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yep. I think the security issues are overstated, GDPR will protect us.

I'm late to this thread - partly because it's in a bloody sub-forum ( [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] !!! ). Application security and GDPR are almost entirely exclusive to each other. GDPR won't protect you from a badly written app.

I won't be downloading it for a number of reasons :

1. It wasn't properly sandboxed
2. It's live testing period was very short
3. It hasn't been regression tested
4. It's code hasn't been made public - should have been written in Opensource - thus allowing IT security companies to really test its security
5. Politically I don't see why I suddenly have some civic duty to download a government written app ( and lets all remember how good the government are at IT projects !!!! ) when political advisors, MPs, ministers and scientists to the government ignore the previous government advice.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Being a simple person. I thought track and trace would be simple.

Step 1.
If you had symptoms you would go to your nearest track and trace drive through and get a test. (You would not need to book for later in the week, wait for a mobile testing centre to be set up, or check the post each morning to see if you had been posted your test yet).

Step 2.
You would be notified, via the app, the response within 24 hrs, and, if positive, all your close contacts recorded on the app would also be notified immediately.

Step 3.
Those who had been in close contact with someone now diagnosed positive would immediately go into self isolation, within 24 hrs of the original test.

How many drive through test centres would there be across the whole country, and what would be the furthest any individual would have to drive to reach one?

What if you can't drive, and have no-one who can drive you?

What if you don't have a smartphone?

What if any of your close contacts don't have a smartphone?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You have to admire the Spanish and Italians. Pretty much back to normal, bars and restaurants open and gearing up for a late summer. We are still fart arsing around with apps and unclear policy on pretty much everything.

Good prep for Brexit [emoji849]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How many drive through test centres would there be across the whole country, and what would be the furthest any individual would have to drive to reach one?

What if you can't drive, and have no-one who can drive you?

What if you don't have a smartphone?

What if any of your close contacts don't have a smartphone?

Well then you look at putting in place backup procedures for the minority who don't fit the criteria, knowing it will be nowhere near as efficient or as effective as it will be for the vast majority.

It's obvious that the moment you start moving outside of the critical 24 hr window the whole system becomes less effective day by day :shrug:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm late to this thread - partly because it's in a bloody sub-forum ( [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] !!! ). Application security and GDPR are almost entirely exclusive to each other. GDPR won't protect you from a badly written app.

I won't be downloading it for a number of reasons :

1. It wasn't properly sandboxed
2. It's live testing period was very short
3. It hasn't been regression tested
4. It's code hasn't been made public - should have been written in Opensource - thus allowing IT security companies to really test its security
5. Politically I don't see why I suddenly have some civic duty to download a government written app ( and lets all remember how good the government are at IT projects !!!! ) when political advisors, MPs, ministers and scientists to the government ignore the previous government advice.

As you know, I've been retired from the business for 10 years now, but I'm still interested in learning about new methods and techniques that have occurred in the industry since I left, so I am interested in how you go about regression testing a brand new application ???

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As you know, I've been retired from the business for 10 years now, but I'm still interested in learning about new methods and techniques that have occurred in the industry since I left, so I am interested in how you go about regression testing a brand new application ???

Regression testing on older operating systems - they've currently only tested on the latest released versions of IOS and Android.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here