Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contact Tracing App

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
And voila;

I'm guessing Cummings' mates still get to keep their money anyhow.

Hopefully this means we will see rollout of the app a bit sooner.

Another abject failure and humiliating u-turn from this Government wasting 2-3 months in the progress, in a move pretty much all of us could see was going to have to be made.

Possibly the two most descriptive terms for this current government. They couldn't pour piss from a shoe, if the instructions were on the sole.

On the 4th May, the Death Secretary, Hancock said the creation of a contact-tracing system was a “huge national undertaking of unprecedented scale and complexity”. He also said he expected to have the system in place by the middle of this month (May).

And yet people still defend them....

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Possibly the two most descriptive terms for this current government. They couldn't pour piss from a shoe, if the instructions were on the sole.

On the 4th May, the Death Secretary, Hancock said the creation of a contact-tracing system was a “huge national undertaking of unprecedented scale and complexity”. He also said he expected to have the system in place by the middle of this month (May).

And yet people still defend them....

The thing is, IT projects are complicated and can come in late. Fine, I understand that, but why press ahead for so long at all, when clearly apple and google are going to be able to do it far better and far easier.

Ah yes, the cronies are on the take. That's why

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't understand why we can't just buy in the app they use in South Korea or Germany etc.

No, they couldn't do that. A big part of Johnson's supposed Sunny Uplands, as the UK casts off the oppressive shackles of EU co-operation, is to stand apart and above and independent. That is why Johnson announced a " World-Beating Tracking and Tracing " programme, it's not enough that it works, it has to somehow be better than our rivals ability to track the virus. Therefore, we had to plough on with our own system at all costs.

When I was a boy I was proud to be British, but after 50 odd years I can see that we are genuinely a crap country living on past glories that will never return. In times of almost any crisis or disaster we always have to try and do things on the cheap and do a bodge job and hope it works. So, thousands of extra deaths, a footballer begging the government to feed a nations children and now we finally have to admit we don't know what we are doing and embrace Apple-Google. We are a joke.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And voila;

I'm guessing Cummings' mates still get to keep their money anyhow.

Hopefully this means we will see rollout of the app a bit sooner.

Another abject failure and humiliating u-turn from this Government wasting 2-3 months in the progress, in a move pretty much all of us could see was going to have to be made.

Well it was just lucky there weren't lives at stake ........................... Oh

franks brother

Does that mean Cummings’ mates get the R&D money but aren’t actually delivering a product? Like the ferry company with ships or the vacuum firm with no ventilators. Id have more respect if it just said ‘cronyism’ on the public accounts balance sheet

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Whilst I entirely agree that the govt has been absolutely crap there are also problems with the alternative app which apparently has problems checking distances phones are apart.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Dido Harding, she was good at Talk Talk wasn't she?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does that mean Cummings’ mates get the R&D money but aren’t actually delivering a product? Like the ferry company with ships or the vacuum firm with no ventilators. Id have more respect if it just said ‘cronyism’ on the public accounts balance sheet

They would have been paid for what they did for sure.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What a ****ing shambles.

Trying to claim other countries are having issues as an excuse for this utter failure.

We are, as a nation, serial failures across the board. I think every student, when they reach 18, should get a free 2 year subscription to Private Eye so they learn the horrifying truth about how this country is run by a cabal of people who are exploiting every opportunity at the expense of the many.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No, they couldn't do that. A big part of Johnson's supposed Sunny Uplands, as the UK casts off the oppressive shackles of EU co-operation, is to stand apart and above and independent. That is why Johnson announced a " World-Beating Tracking and Tracing " programme, it's not enough that it works, it has to somehow be better than our rivals ability to track the virus. Therefore, we had to plough on with our own system at all costs.

When I was a boy I was proud to be British, but after 50 odd years I can see that we are genuinely a crap country living on past glories that will never return. In times of almost any crisis or disaster we always have to try and do things on the cheap and do a bodge job and hope it works. So, thousands of extra deaths, a footballer begging the government to feed a nations children and now we finally have to admit we don't know what we are doing and embrace Apple-Google. We are a joke.

This is how I feel as well. I was hugely patriotic as a young man as well, but now I can hardly find any reason to be proud to be British.

I'm proud to be from Brighton

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's very easy to separate patriotism from the complete chancers who are now running the country.

I have no problem with the Tory fan boys ideologically on here, but I do have an issue with your belief that they can do no wrong because they are Tories.

The irony is that the party has moved significantly to a neo-liberal populist position that is very far away from your beliefs. Bang on about Corbyn all you like taking Labour back to the 1970s (which he did), but the Tories have shifted to the same degree.

They've clearly realised that this is the country that voted for a dog to win Britain's Got Talent. You can wrap any old shit in a Union Flag and get away with it.

Admit it they are ****ing useless, ****ing useless. That isn't a judgement on Conservatism, it's a judgement on them.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm late to this thread - partly because it's in a bloody sub-forum . Application security and GDPR are almost entirely exclusive to each other. GDPR won't protect you from a badly written app.

I won't be downloading it for a number of reasons :

1. It wasn't properly sandboxed
2. It's live testing period was very short
3. It hasn't been regression tested

4. It's code hasn't been made public - should have been written in Opensource - thus allowing IT security companies to really test its security
5. Politically I don't see why I suddenly have some civic duty to download a government written app ( and lets all remember how good the government are at IT projects !!!! ) when political advisors, MPs, ministers and scientists to the government ignore the previous government advice.

:whistle:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Saw this elsewhere. The diary so far. The cherry on Dido's cake has turned sour.

Apple - We will make a free track and trace system.

Google - We will help, then it will work across 99 percent of phones. Should be ready by May.

UK govt - No, We'll make our own version.

Apple and Google - You'd need our help.

Uk govt. - No we don't, Dom's mate says he can do it.

Apple and Google - Off you go then.

Dom's mate - Can I have your propriety code.

Apple and Google - Hahahaha. No.

Dom's mate - Why not?

Apple and Google - Because your system breaches international privacy laws by ripping peoples contact data and storing it on your servers so you can use or sell it later.

Public - It does? F**k that!

Hancock - Our world beating system is up and running, at a cost of only £120,000,000

NHS - No it's not.

Hancock - We have hit a snag.

Public - Whats that?

Hancock - It doesn't work on iPhones. Or Android. And nobody wants to download it.

Whole world - Really?

To be continued.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apple and Google - Because your system breaches international privacy laws by ripping peoples contact data and storing it on your servers so you can use or sell it later.

which is their business, cant have others doing it. funny eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here