Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contact Tracing App

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Regression testing on older operating systems - they've currently only tested on the latest released versions of IOS and Android.

compatibility testing not regression testing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
fancied having a look at this. Been googling and searching apps but nothing is actually clear what to do or get.

Have binned the idea off.

Was hoping the tories may of got something right and this would be the first thing but seemingly not

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
fancied having a look at this. Been googling and searching apps but nothing is actually clear what to do or get.

Have binned the idea off.

Was hoping the tories may of got something right and this would be the first thing but seemingly not

Might be best to wait until it's released.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm late to this thread - partly because it's in a bloody sub-forum ( [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] !!! ). Application security and GDPR are almost entirely exclusive to each other. GDPR won't protect you from a badly written app.

I won't be downloading it for a number of reasons :

1. It wasn't properly sandboxed
2. It's live testing period was very short
3. It hasn't been regression tested
4. It's code hasn't been made public - should have been written in Opensource - thus allowing IT security companies to really test its security
5. Politically I don't see why I suddenly have some civic duty to download a government written app ( and lets all remember how good the government are at IT projects !!!! ) when political advisors, MPs, ministers and scientists to the government ignore the previous government advice.

Westdene you sound like you know your sh1t on IT stuff. Do you think the off the shelve Apple / Android solution could be up and running quickly?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Westdene you sound like you know your sh1t on IT stuff. Do you think the off the shelve Apple / Android solution could be up and running quickly?

Difficult one the answer really but I would expect it to have been sandboxed and regression tested ( or compatibility tested as I've been corrected to ) by Apple and Google. They have HUGE development teams with a proper development structure in place - the UK government don't.

Unless Apple and Google are going to break with commercial practice then obviously they won't make their code public which is a worry.

Point 2 about testing - the government have only used a very short test and on the Isle of Wight - the Isle of Wight !!!!! I suspect, but I don't know, that Apple and Google might have had big tests.

Finally, the political point, I'm still not sure why I have a civic duty to use the app ( whoever provides it ) when those in power, influence and authority don't seem to think the rules apply to them. Apple and Google can't solve that problem.

ADDITION : Within IT it's an unwritten rule for business, never be the first to test an upgrade, patch or service pack - let others find the issues, the suppliers to fix them and only then download the latest software. It's why my phone is always not connected to the power at night - it stops automatic upgrades.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
... Do you think the off the shelve Apple / Android solution could be up and running quickly?

Apple or Google are not providing an off the shelf solution. they offer an API (techy for rules to talk with) to use the bluetooth in a certain way (which is otherwise restricted), which devs can use to make a tracking app in a certain way.

NHSx didnt want to go with the approach on offer and wanted a different way to do it. thats another story. delivery of one approach or other is pretty much same, down to how good dev team and project managment is.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
ADDITION : Within IT it's an unwritten rule for business, never be the first to test an upgrade, patch or service pack - let others find the issues, the suppliers to fix them and only then download the latest software. It's why my phone is always not connected to the power at night - it stops automatic upgrades.

Quite agree. Within suppliers, it's an unwritten rule to try and include legislative changes within Major releases. This ensures clients have to upgrade to the latest release by a certain date in order to remain compliant with the latest legislation :wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Just turn ‘automatic updates’ to ‘off’ in settings ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't understand why we can't just buy in the app they use in South Korea or Germany etc.

Because the Tory party don’t have any donors or relatives with financial interests in these apps?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Just turn ‘automatic updates’ to ‘off’ in settings ?

:lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't understand why we can't just buy in the app they use in South Korea or Germany etc.

Because it has to be BRITISH and WORLD LEADING, none of these foreign apps for our proud British smartphones.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

internal politics of NHS/PHE etc, yes contrators with interests, and everyone wants an app tailored to their country. there was a push at one point for an EU app, didnt gain ground because each country wants to do things to suit local sensibilities. pretty special sort of cockup they've gone from something released to it wont be ready until winter.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I said something similar when they first announced it

I think that we are absolutely desperate for a trace & trace system to help us out of this dreadful situation.It has been proven how effective the application in South Korea was in controlling their Covid outbreak and I definitely want one I can download is quick as possible to help.

So desperate that, instead of using one of the existing de-centralised systems, we award a contract to a small company, Faculty, to create a centralised application from scratch (and to add to the other 7 Government contracts that company has been awarded over the last 18 months).

A company that, purely coincidentally, is owned by the brother, Marc Warner, of a Political Advisor to the Government, Ben Walker.

The same Ben Walker who, purely coincidentally, was the one of the first two Political Advisors ever to sit in on a number of SAGE meetings in it's entire history of over 20 years.

Those two would be, purely coincidentally, Ben Walker and Dominic Cummings, who are not allowed to contribute to SAGE as they are not scientists, and not allowed to convey information from SAGE to ministers as they are Political Advisors and it would be against the rules governing political advisors.

That would be, purely coincidentally, the same Dominic Cummings who then decided it was within his remit to invite Marc Walker, owner of Faculty and brother of Ben, to a SAGE meeting.

And now, the Government have decided to start to look at some of the alternative existing de-centralised Track & Trace solutions instead, to overcome some of the issues with a centralised system ? https://www.ft.com/content/d44beb06-5e3e-434f-a3a0-f806ce06576c

Well it's good to know that this has been well thought through and the solution has been very carefully chosen on purely technical and scientific grounds :rolleyes:

Just not so succinctly :wink:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

And voila;

UK tracing app switches to Google-Apple model in U-turn
Leo Kelion

Technology desk editor - BBC

In a major U-turn, the UK is abandoning the underpinnings of its existing NHS coronavirus tracing app and switching to a model based on technology provided by Apple and Google.

The announcement comes the day after the BBC revealed that a former Apple executive, Simon Thompson, was taking charge of the late-running project.

The Apple-Google design has been promoted as being more privacy-centric. However, it means epidemiologists will have access to less data.

And questions remain about whether any smartphone-based system reliant on Bluetooth signals will be accurate enough to be useful.

The UK follows Germany, Austria and Uruguay among others in switching from a so-called "centralised" approach to a "decentralised" one.

The government is expected to confirm the news soon.

Despite the change, the interface presented to users will remain the same.

I'm guessing Cummings' mates still get to keep their money anyhow.

Hopefully this means we will see rollout of the app a bit sooner.

Another abject failure and humiliating u-turn from this Government wasting 2-3 months in the progress, in a move pretty much all of us could see was going to have to be made.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That went well then and Cummings mates very likely early a decent wedge from it. Lovely stuff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here