Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Conservative MP Sir David Amess murdered

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I am stunned and sickened. I am also saddened.

David Amess was an MP - like most MPs - who worked hard to make the world a better place. His idea of a better place might well differ to some but he seemed sincere in his beliefs.

The level of vitiriol towards and scorn for our elected representatives has grown significantly over the past decade from people on all sides of politics. What has happened today and previously to Jo Cox is the extreme result of this but it is the far end of a continuum and I think it would be good for everyone to reflect on that before launching another personalised and hyperbolic attack on a political opponent.

RIP

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That’s the thing though. His views and voting record likely did have something to do with it. Why pretend otherwise?

Yes it’s very sad that someone has been killed while doing their job, and no one should have to be in fear like that while going about their day. But adding context to the conversation is in no way worthy of the criticism that has followed since.

I would argue that attempting to add context as a bloke is lying on the floor with his blood pumping out of him from multiple stab wounds is possibly not the time to attempt to add context. It is crass, distasteful and ill-judged. There is a time and place for everything.

Last edited:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

I fear the over used sound bit “Tory scum” may be a part of this.

I am prepared to be proven wrong. Anyone with a connection to the Conservative party seems to be thus labelled.

It’s just a horror show on a human level.

Tory scum, Loony Left, all insults coming from the same school of division to drive hatred, so don't just make it a one way street.

“likely”

You’re completely guessing.

It wasn’t part of an intelligent discussion, it was a couple of left wing posters who couldn’t wait to put the boot into someone they had a very limited/blinkered view on. With a couple of like minded people, no surprise whatsoever, defending their political chums.

Be honest, you know that’s how it works on social media including nsc, a load of people live, eat and drink a class war in their mind.

Yes, absolutely, many can’t see past their own political leanings regardless of the subject at hand. From all sides of the political spectrum too not just those on the left.

However, I disagree that this was an intelligent discussion to begin with. That would necessitate differing views and context, which was shouted down as soon as it was added.

And of course, I’m speculating that him being a Tory, and all that entails is why we’ve ended up with this tragedy today, but it’s hardly a difficult leap to make is it, particularly given the current state of affairs in this country?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Consistently voting against LGBT rights, measures to address child poverty, measures to help disabled and vulnerable people, woman’s rights etc doesn’t strike me as someone representing all of his constituency?

Are you serious? You can't keep your political view even out of this can you? Shame on you. Didn't expect anything else.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Time and place.

Also relevant to you right now.

No I think pulling you up for your rank hypocrisy is relevant at any given time. You come on here whinging at language directed at democratically elected people when YOU were abusing someone fitting that description just YESTERDAY.

So please, hush your gums. :dunky:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, absolutely, many can’t see past their own political leanings regardless of the subject at hand. From all sides of the political spectrum too not just those on the left.

However, I disagree that this was an intelligent discussion to begin with. That would necessitate differing views and context, which was shouted down as soon as it was added.

And of course, I’m speculating that him being a Tory, and all that entails is why we’ve ended up with this tragedy today, but it’s hardly a difficult leap to make is it, particularly given the current state of affairs in this country?

But it could simply be someone with mental health issues, or a religious terrorist. Far too soon to say if the assailant’s views aligned with yours and that was his motivation. 20 years ago Robert Ashman tried to assassinate a LibDem MP, instead killing his constituency aide, he was sent to Broadmoor, he was insane.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are you serious? You can't keep your political view even out of this can you? Shame on you. Didn't expect anything else.

I agree, but I think the virtue signaling has gone on enough now. Almost half this thread is reminder after reminder that HT wrote something inappropriate. We don't all need to keep repeating the same criticism, and copying and requoting his original comments (which, unlike the original comments, cannot be edited). As [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] perhaps anticipated, this thread is reducing to a HT lynch mob. Enough, now. Please.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
MP’s do represent all of their constituents though, on more than one occasion my MP has helped me, I didn’t vote for him, Lucas has helped my mother, she didn’t vote for her.

I’m sure your aware that MP’s don’t just represent those who share their views.

Someone has already demonstrated how he helped his aunt with social housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I'm well aware of what MPs do. I think you've misunderstood the point I was making

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Ridiculous. We need to be looking at the perpetrator, and not blaming the victim or his political affinity for the reason behind this attack.

To me, your standpoint is no different to those that say some women are to blame for getting attacked if they dress or behave in certain way.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I agree, but I think the virtue signaling has gone on enough now. Almost half this thread is reminder after reminder that HT wrote something inappropriate. We don't all need to keep repeating the same criticism, and copying and requoting his original comments (which, unlike the original comments, cannot be edited). As [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] perhaps anticipated, this thread is reducing to a HT lynch mob. Enough, now. Please.

Fair comment but I had only just got in from work and posted as soon as I saw what he had posted bearing in mind that the man was obviously fighting for his life. Fair point though.

Jan 30, 2008
But it could simply be someone with mental health issues, or a religious terrorist. Far too soon to say if the assailant’s views aligned with yours and that was his motivation. 20 years ago Robert Ashman tried to assassinate a LibDem MP, instead killing his constituency aide, he was sent to Broadmoor, he was insane.

25 year old Somalian national FFS ! thoughts go to the MP's family
Regards
DF

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Quite.

Every time a post is quoted it makes it far less likely it will be able to be edited. And every time a reply to that quote is quoted it's impossible. In terms of moderation you are then left with infracting half the thread, thread banning half the thread or just hoping people calm the **** down and show some respect.

So, pretty please with sugar on top, all of you, calm the **** down and show some respect.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Frankly I'm not interested in the views or motivation of the murderer. I accept no view or motivation as either justification or excuse.

Someone who does something like this is either extremely ill or extremely bad and, given that he's 25, if he is extremely bad there should be a trace, and if he's ill this should have been detected. Normal people don't suddenly take it into their head to murder someone, especially someone they don't know personally. I find the idea of there being a 'reason' for this, whether political, religious or personal to be absurd.

Look up [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION]'s poem 'contributory negligence'. No politician in this country negligenly contributes to their own murder any more than a woman hitchiking at night negligently contributes to their own rape. There are rules of engagement, and they don't extend into a justification for attacking an MP (or indeed almost anyone in almost any circumstances, with the exception of preventing someone else in the execution of an act of violence).

I am sure you agree with all that but I thought it worth making the point anyway.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It does if he had it in his pre election blurb, he has also represented Southend for many years so surely his constituents knew what his thoughts are on those matters.
Either way you don't deserve to get stabbed because of it you just don't vote for him.
After Jo Cox, it seems silly and reckless to allow people to just walk in to his surgery, I am not saying that they should have security guards and metal detectors but surely have a locked door and allow appointments in only.
I have only said this because the report I have read said the attacker just barged in, if not true then apologies will be dished out.
I went to see my MP once, made an appointment but just walked in where there was a secretary, then walked through another door, after giving my name, where he was sat in a room.

It wasn't in a surgery, it was in a church, holding a meeting with multiple constituents, so it seems that anyone could walk in, maybe they had to be on a list but as it was a church people could come and go as they pleased.
I got that bit wrong but nevertheless surely security of all MPs will now be raised.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This transcends (or should transcend) any political leanings whatsoever…….…….a husband and father has been murdered in cold blood doing his public-service job, whatever your views. It’s horrific and tragic. RIP.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
“likely”

You’re completely guessing.

It wasn’t part of an intelligent discussion, it was a couple of left wing posters who couldn’t wait to put the boot into someone they had a very limited/blinkered view on. With a couple of like minded people, no surprise whatsoever, defending their political chums.

Be honest, you know that’s how it works on social media including nsc, a load of people live, eat and drink a class war in their minds.

Added to which most of what he voted against was due to his faith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here