Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS has already asked to leave!

Stumpy Tim

The reason I don't believe the general 'CMS is unhappy/leaving/will be sold' story is that Gus is a thorough guy. Every interview he gives, he talks about preparation, how we need to be careful with our budgets, how he doesn't like open 4-3 type games etc etc. Look at the gambles he's taken, all low risk/high reward ones - Agdestein, Battipiedi, Baz, Vicente - all short term contracts so if things don't work out, he can say goodbye and move on. If they turn out brilliant we've struck gold, and can sign them up on a longer contract.

We didn't sign CMS for £2.5m on a 4 year contract without scouting him. Gus knew full well what his strengths and weaknesses were. And I firmly believe that Gus' intention to build a side around him will be validated in the summer when the lion's share of whatever budget Tony provides will be spent on a strike partner and/or a midfield to properly structure the side. Unfortunately as we couldn't get the players we needed to compliment CMS it's been a plug-the-leaks season, 451 with CMS feeding off scraps has 'had to do' because playing 442 would leave us too vulnerable through the middle.

People write players off too quickly, probably through some frustrated sense of under-recognition whereby everyone thinks they could still 'do a job' for their favourite side. We sit and watch and like to make out we're the experts but the reality is we're not. Unfortunately whilst I realise that, and will give my opinion but try to do so a least a little humbly, other 'I know best' types just make black and white sweeping statements - So and so is shit, or So and so is brilliant. Funnily enough it's always the same people, who were claiming Vicente should f*** off when he was injured, but have gone all quiet now he's playing well. The same people who slagged off Barnes and have shut up now they've been proven wrong.

Like Dicker, Navarro, Barnes or Ankergren, CMS is an easy target. Because on the most basic level we spent a lot of money and he hasn't scored 30 goals, he's easy to criticise. But there's more to football than that, and Gus' stubborn nature tells me he'll be more determined than anyone to make the money he spent on CMS be worthwhile, and considering he's had sod all support, he's still on for a dozen goals this year. Imagine what he could do with better service and protection behind him.

Summary: he's on a 4-year deal. I for one am going to back him for much, much longer than 1 of those years.

Pile. Of .Poo

He's going in the summer what ever you think. Let's see whose right

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
I'm probably one of the few people who has never really thought that highly of CMS to begin with, and personally I wouldn't be too fussed if he did go. I don't think he suits our style of football, and we need a striker who has the ability to play up front alone. Also I don't think he is a championship standard player, he was up here previously and wasn't very good then either.

However from reading some comments on this thread I swear a lot of people are jumping on the 'CMS is shit' bandwagon. Whatever happened to him being a fantastic prospect? I mean that's what most were saying when we first signed him and now a few of you don't seem to care if he leaves? Stop randomly choosing players and making scapegoats out of them.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
A flop? Our one dimensional tactics have failed CMS. I'd be gutted if he left and am confident that given decent service he'll score regularly in the championship. What a waste of his extraordinary talent!

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Didn't rate Mackail-Smith before he came to Brighton
In the games he played against us, didn't think he was much kop
However I would be gutted if his stay with us was only for this season
He works his bollocks off and there has been glimpses from him of what he is truly capable of especially in the early part of the season
I can't believe he is on the subs bench when the teams are announced
For me he should start every game, the goals will flow, he thrives on service such as the home game against Ipswich which for me was one of the best goals this season
The only downside I see is his weakness in the air especially when comparing him to Murray
He is also a proper gent too on and off the field
I'm certain he will be here next season, he has won me over anyway

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
CMS asked to leave Peterborougn but stayed to see them promoted. Will history repeat itself? For what it's worth I think he should stay. I have noticed the body language is not so positive now, we used to have to wait ages for Craig to leave the pitch, now he's gone in a flash! I love the guy so hope he stays.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
CMS asked to leave Peterborougn but stayed to see them promoted. Will history repeat itself? For what it's worth I think he should stay. I have noticed the body language is not so positive now, we used to have to wait ages for Craig to leave the pitch, now he's gone in a flash! I love the guy so hope he stays.

No, he isn't.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Fair enough, no hard feelings mate. You're right people shouldn't take it too seriously - unfortunately the last 18 months of NSC has seen a new brand of dickhead emerge who think they know better than everyone else and are just relentlessly negative about everyone and everything from the perspective they are the omnipotent lord of football tactics. AKAWKFA would sum them up pretty succinctly I think.

Could not agree more. Either they have very short memories or have no fvcking clue in the first place about how times have changed...big time! The negativity is quite frankly embarrassing because I don't believe for one minute anyone of us who was there through the dark times could not be anything other than amazed at how good we have it now. A magnificent stadium with a team in a play-off place in the championship.....Oh how things ain't what they used to be.......These are the days some of us thought would never come!!!!....And I could'nt be more proud of 'our' tream!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Best striker we could have bought in that situation and at that time! We've come on since then and he's now a very useful player, but not a godlike star way ahead of our club's standard, true...... but why is that so dreadful? We've come a long way :thumbsup:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
A players wife's company ?

Well,that's certainly good enough for me !

Anything from a players dog's vet ?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I hope he doesn't go, but although I think he has had some bad luck and problems that aren't his fault, often his touch and passing have looked not good enough for how we play. I think that's a bigger problem than the one that often gets made of us not supplying the ball where he wants it. I guess it goes both ways.

I hope he stays because I like him, because it was a big transfer and I want it to work out (would rather that even if we can sell him for more than we paid), and because at times, mostly in the first couple of months of the season, it has clicked and he/we looked fantastic. Plus I think he's still our top scorer in open play and arguably getting the right striker has been a bit of a blind spot for Gus, if we accept that CMS isn't it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think our team next season will be much better than the current team, technically. And therefore, I think we'll play a lot more in the opposition half and therefore we'll create a lot more chances for CMS to gobble up. I suspect CMS himself has been told that, and has been told to be patient. It will be perfection, next season. Just like it was in Gus's first (And last) full season in League 1. This season has been what would have happened if Gus had been in charge the whole of the 09/10 season. Not really good enough, but too good tactically to be anywhere other than near the top.

D

Deleted member 18477

On the subject of CMS I see that George Boyd is available for transfer this summer having turned down a new deal at Posh :)

Get him! He's a lovely player! And why the f*** would CMS ask to leave a club who could be in the prem next season? The only reason would be his agent has informed him a club already in the prem or saints(unlikely, sharp & lambert are better) or reading are interested in him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here